Space Junk found on Sheep Farms in Australia's Snowy Mountains

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Space Junk found on Sheep Farms in Australia's Snowy Mountains
Likely a part (canard and part of the shell) of the cargo trunk of a Dragon by SpaceX.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07...2ntNHKxuUyrkpt0PP4ItR15TivVePg16l8zVGvcKLcrI0
Junk.png
A large piece of debris found in the middle of a sheep paddock could be space junk from a SpaceX mission, and linked to a large bang heard across the region earlier this month.

Many of those who heard the bang on July 9 took to social media to report it across the Snowy Mountains in southern NSW, and as far away as Albury, Wagga Wagga and Canberra.

Speculation was rife that it may have been caused by the SpaceX Dragon spacecraft re-entering earth's atmosphere after it launched in November 2020.

Mick Miners, who runs a sheep farm at Numbla Vale, south of Jindabyne, stumbled across an almost three metre high object wedged into a remote part of his paddock on Monday.

"I didn't know what to think, I had no idea what it was," he said.

After the discovery, he called neighbouring farmer Jock Wallace, who also found some mysterious debris nearby.

"I didn't hear the bang, but my daughters said it was very loud," Mr Wallace said.

"I think it's a concern it's just fallen out of the sky.

"If it landed on your house it would make a hell of a mess."

Give NASA a buzz​

After contacting the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Wallace said he was told to contact the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in the United States.

"I'm a farmer from Dalgety, what am I going to say to NASA?" Mr Wallace said.

Can you imagine what it might have been like standing in that field when that came screaming it. There I was standing watching my sheep. Out of the corner of my eye I see a bird way up high. But it wasn't a bird. It was this bloody thing. When it slammed into the ground it knocked me on my arse. The sheep stampeded. They were so scared they ran right out of their wool. So no shearing this season. Who going to move this? Who wants to buy it? Who do I sue? What is it anyway?

Back