Space Force recruiting commercial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I initially replied, I thought .. well, not a nice thought.. [think: the spoiled fat greedy kid in a candy store: "chocolate? all mine!!"]

I didn't quite realize that Russia & China were that much of a potential threat.

And, I remember (was it Reagan and his 'star wars'?) that Space should remain for science only & open to the world to work collectively together, like Antarctica. But I guess once others stop playing fair, it's only natural that you would want to bring 'some self assurances'..

And here's the lighter one:

They are both awesome!
Second one is very promising.
Enough to make me re-subscribe to Netflix, or at least to setup another trial account to watch it and then cancel?

Why we need space force and why the produced the movie? I think both a legidimate questions.

For the latter - cause Netflix needs original content (Disney is non-renewing it's films and putting them on Disney+), and Steve Carell is hilarious.
For the former - cause branding!

From a DOD Prospective, Space Force is needed to have a collaborative platform to work together on intelligence, communication, and military technology in space. Like CIA, FBI, DCI, and others, we had multiple intelligence and law enforcement agencies that failed to work together and thus we had 9-11. We are trying to prevent a similar disaster in space.

From a DOD Prospective, Space Force is needed to have a collaborative platform to work together on intelligence, communication, and military technology in space. Like CIA, FBI, DCI, and others, we had multiple intelligence and law enforcement agencies that failed to work together and thus we had 9-11. We are trying to prevent a similar disaster in space.
Makes sense but it is not presented that way. It is presented as an organization on equal footing as the Army/Navy/AirForce/Marines (and perhaps by people that forget about the Coast Guard entirely)

Does anyone expect Space Force to exist longer than the current administration, plus whatever overhead needed to spin it down?

I'm somewhat hoping that since the introduction to "space force" NASA will get rolled in, and they can then benefit from the mighty US defense budget..

Makes sense but it is not presented that way. It is presented as an organization on equal footing as the Army/Navy/AirForce/Marines (and perhaps by people that forget about the Coast Guard entirely)

Does anyone expect Space Force to exist longer than the current administration, plus whatever overhead needed to spin it down?

It has the support of all three branches and the Joint Chiefs so I would say yes, but things change.

So what is the downside to having a space force?
I see none. The future is in space.
Other countries which we compete with are getting all in.
It would be a shame if we let others take the lead.
Defending our sate is imperative to every thing we do

The magical thing about bureaucracy is that once you set it up, it goes into 110% self-preservation mode. Forever.
All those newly minted 1-4 star generals, and their staff, are highly unlikely to ever broadcast that their existence is superfluous to the need.
Instead, new threats and missions will be invented to justify their existence (real and/or imaginary), new challenges invented, new budget asks submitted for all of the above. And if the evidence is not strong enough to justify the bloat, "classified" intelligence will be inserted as a substitute to rational. Liberally.
Thus "streamlining" and/or getting rid of this new bureaucratic organization will be 10x harder than creating one.

I'm somewhat hoping that since the introduction to "space force" NASA will get rolled in, and they can then benefit from the mighty US defense budget.

Therein lies the trouble - NASA will get lost in the Space Force's military budget.
Future budget requests and priorities will likely focus on the "juicy" military ambitions, not the scientific ones.

If you want more historical insight into what happens when military runs NASA procurement, read up on the history of Titan II / Gemini booster development:
https://www.popsci.com/how-nasa-chose-an-untested-missile-to-launch-gemini/https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4203/ch7-2.htm

Yes Downside..more bureaucracy...more managers ..more Commands, Agencies, Offices (Divisions and Branches). Managers- More Generals, more High Grade salaries going to those managers: such as: SES grades, GS/GM-15, GS/GM-14 etc. A waste of money lost just for political reasons. Air Force controls space for DoD now.....NORAD etc.

I know about DoD bureaucracy where the phrase for new organization or offices was "built a empire" to justify a large workforce and therefore budget.

The magical thing about bureaucracy is that once you set it up, it goes into 110% self-preservation mode. Forever.
All those newly minted 1-4 star generals, and their staff, are highly unlikely to ever broadcast that their existence is superfluous to the need.
Instead, new threats and missions will be invented to justify their existence (real and/or imaginary), new challenges invented, new budget asks submitted for all of the above. And if the evidence is not strong enough to justify the bloat, "classified" intelligence will be inserted as a substitute to rational. Liberally.
Thus "streamlining" and/or getting rid of this new bureaucratic organization will be 10x harder than creating one.

Therein lies the trouble - NASA will get lost in the Space Force's military budget.
Future budget requests and priorities will likely focus on the "juicy" military ambitions, not the scientific ones.

If you want more historical insight into what happens when military runs NASA procurement, read up on the history of Titan II / Gemini booster development:
https://www.popsci.com/how-nasa-chose-an-untested-missile-to-launch-gemini/https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4203/ch7-2.htm

You saw some similar things when the US Coast Guard moved from USDOT to Homeland Security*. Suddenly, the USCG Commandant was showing up to meet with industry** with an 8-person security team, half of whom were carrying M-16s and the other half had large bulges under their armpits. Around the same time, the annual USCG magazine had one picture that didn't have an automatic weapon in frame. This for an organization that does major environmental enforcement and lifesaving, not to mention maintaining navigation systems. It was an unholy mess for anyone trying to do marine safety since you couldn't get attention for that with the big shiny homeland security stuff looming with all of their big budgets.

* In peacetime. Either way in a declared war, USCG goes under the Navy.
** Who could at most hurt your feelings by yelling at you or possibly injure you by sitting on you. As an industry person said, most tugboaters look like they've never turned down a second piece of pie.

Hertiage Auctions is auctioning a bunch of autographed space memorabilia through tomorrow. Capt. Gene Cernan took some time to compose some words for ending our manned lunar exploration program: "I'd like to say what I believe history will record, that America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with Peace and Hope for all mankind. God Speed the Crew of Apollo XVII"

So Space Force... Funny, us people, we can reach escape velocity but we can't escape ourselves. I sure regret seeing it, not 100% sure it's needed as a separate branch, but if we could all behave ourselves the police would be very bored and eventually disbanded (oh wait - see afadeev's post...).

Watching Space Force (the Netflix version) after having read you guys' comments is brilliant!

It’s our war mentality. Perpetuating militarism in order to maintain control through a war economy that only benefits state monopolies.
im watching the Netflix show and it’s pretty lame, even if you like The Office.

Form that article:
“.... a top U.S. military commander tells TIME, underscoring a growing threat to America’s dominance in space-based espionage and a potentially costly new chapter in Washington’s decades-long competition with Moscow.”

costly alright, just what the pentagon, the defense contractors and the bankers want...

im watching the Netflix show and it’s pretty lame, even if you like The Office.

I binge watched it the past weekend.
The first few episodes were entertaining, but my interest wondered off towards the end. The "moon war" final episode, got my full attention again.

In the spirit of the show, or under life imitating art, I saw this in my news feed earlier today: "Whoops, the Real Space Force May Lose Its Trademark to the Fake One"
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a32800547/space-force-logo-netflix/
Anyway, it looks like the show did well enough to get funding for Season 2:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-show-all-but-securing-season-2/#62f0959230e8
Russia has a couple of "inspection" satellites flying quite close to one of the US KH-11 satellites. https://time.com/5779315/russian-spacecraft-spy-satellite-space-force/

Well, Space Force or no Space Force, I'm not sure what is there for us to do about those "shadowing" satellites.
Space is not demarcated, and having another satellite 100 miles near one of ours is not a violation of any treaties or social norms.

It's not like Space Force is about to start building a wall around KH-11.
Nothing, short of a kinetic action, would effect KH-11 operation. Same goes for our ability to "discourage" Russians from "shadowing" and eavesdropping on it.
It is, what it is - a cat and mouse spying game.

EMP, unless the sat is fortified.. But, yes, kinetic force - crash into it.

Still would be an act of war, that would trigger a response.
Both China and Russia had previously demonstrated capability to respond.

As we have way more assets to loose in space than anyone else, triggering a tit-for-tat when you have more "tats", is not the wisest course of action.

a

Last edited:
Still would be an act of war, that would trigger a response.
Both China and Russian had previously demonstrated capability to respond.

As we have way more assets to loose in space than anyone else, triggering a tit-for-tat when you have more "tats", is not the wisest course of action.

a

Not to mention generating a lot of orbital debris. Even if the other powers didn’t take direct action, the debris would hurt us anyway. Cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Yes Downside..more bureaucracy...more managers ..more Commands, Agencies, Offices (Divisions and Branches). Managers- More Generals, more High Grade salaries going to those managers: such as: SES grades, GS/GM-15, GS/GM-14 etc. A waste of money lost just for political reasons. Air Force controls space for DoD now.....NORAD etc.

I know about DoD bureaucracy where the phrase for new organization or offices was "built a empire" to justify a large workforce and therefore budget.

That is not entirely true. Each force, Army, Navy, and Air Force have their own Space Force prior to this point. The goal is to pull them together and remove the overlap. Right now, you have 3 bureaucracies that don't talk much to one another.

Also, the point is not so much kinetic war, but a covert war without weapons.

Back