Space cad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moocrew

Reaction score
I just bought the program (key) yesterday. I got to plug in the key and the stupid thing doesn't work...as you could expect I'm ticked!! On top of the the screen that comes up after you send an email trying to get the problem fixed says that you may not get a reply for 1-2 weeks!?!
Has anyone else had this problem...this is possibly the worst experience I have ever had with online shopping.

As the owner of Apogee Components, which sells software (RockSim), I see both sides of software problems.

In our case, the software installs and works fine. But I've been fighting download problems. A customer orders the software, and can't download it in a reasonable amount of time because of server problems.

It really frustrates customers. It really frustrates me too, because I hate to see customers become irritated. I lose more customer goodwill from this than from other software issues.

Anyhow, good luck with SpaceCad. Even if you don't use RockSim, I'm glad your using "something." It is far better than the "seat-of-your-pants" designing. Should you decide to get RockSim, just give us a hollar.

rocksim is looking better by the minute...the bums have yet to reply.

RockSim, endorsed by Shrox!

SpaceCad just wasn't as intuitive to me, I only tried the trial version. I have also beta tested for RockSim.

shrox

I have both and have never had problems with either rocksim or spacecad.

I find spacecad a doddle to use and somewhat simplistic, but it does a great job with printouts and its great for using with kids.

Rocksim is much more comprehensive, but has a steeper learning curve. I like the fact that there is such a huge library of rocket designs that you can download too.

All in all its horses for courses - rocksim is expensive but will stay with you for longer, spacecad much more entry level with a price tag to match.

Moocrew - have you tried emailing Andreas direct? I have a couple of times and got a reply within 24-48 hours (at the time he was preparing to get married so had other things ion his mind I guess.

Tim - just a word of thanks - I've had several updates of rocksim and never had a problem downloading them, equally didn't have a problem with the original download. It's good to hear that you worry about these things, should I ever have a problem in the future!!

yes ive tried emailing him... Several Times....and that was over 3 days ago...still no response at all.
The only response I have gotten was from element 5 the company i bought it from so that i could use credit and they couldn't even find my order in the data base. So i don't know what to do.

Originally posted by shrox
RockSim, endorsed by Shrox!

SpaceCad just wasn't as intuitive to me, I only tried the trial version. I have also beta tested for RockSim.

shrox

OK...so where is the 3D rendering engine and animation package in RockSim. I read your posts for the artwork....:)

Everytime I see one of your pictures, I look over at my SGI Indigo Iris and wonder if I still have the touch.

SGI Indigo, three years ago Sega was using one to prop the door open. They had no idea what it is was really for, even had unopened packages of Alias, but by then Maya3D and Lightwave3D on PC's were faster. I doubt I can even remember the menu layout of Alias now.

You can do animation with RockSim. Just move the model a little bit, do a screen grab, paste into Photoshop and save, then repeat about 900 times for 30 seconds at 30fps...

shrox

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
OK...so where is the 3D rendering engine and animation package in RockSim. I read your posts for the artwork....:)

Everytime I see one of your pictures, I look over at my SGI Indigo Iris and wonder if I still have the touch.

Snarky_Rocksim.gif

There is a little button that says "3D" on the main screen of RockSim. Whatever design you have loaded will instantly jump to 3D mode. From there, you just click and drag on the image to rotate it around to whatever view angle you want.

The screen in the above image is where you apply the color to the parts. In this case, I changed the nose cone 3D color to red.

To make animations, you need a screen capture software.

On Windows PC's, I use Camtasia Studio from:

https://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

For the Macintosh, I use Ambrosia Software's "SnapZProX 2."

https://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/news/

Both are very fast at capturing what is on the screen. But it will slow down the rotation of the rocket image.

You can see a RockSim (Macintosh edition) QuickTime video of a screen capture at:

www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/rocksim-3D.mov

Wow Tim, I didn't know that. Cool. By the way, is that the Macintosh interface?

shrox

Tim:

I was teasing Shrox. If you have ever seen any of his images or animations they are absolutely stunning. I knew about the RockSim tool (which is neat). I also know his work is done on a whole 'nuther playing field.

Shrox:

SGI Indigo, three years ago Sega was using one to prop the door open

That stings. When I was doing 3D renderings of machine tool parts and assemblies the thing cost over $20K - not including the application and OS. Of course a full page render took several hours to complete.

I suppose you know a gamer who has a variant of my Vermont Microsystems Cobra Imaging Adapter in use as a paperweight.

I have both programs... I recieved Spacecad two years ago as an Xmas gift...

Then this year I got Rsim.

Rsim is BY FAR the superior program. The 3D rendering is EXELENT, the flight sims are just about rock-on, and it can even predict weathercock (to a point). I would definetly reccomend rsim. Theres no better program out there. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something....:D ;) ;) ;) ;)

RockSim might be more expensive, but the support and features you get are all well worth the money. The XML file format allows me to push the software to tackle new and unique designs. There is a lot of flexibility and compatibility built into this software.
I hope to be able to feed in actual readings from a weather station at the launch site into RockSim to get very accurate flight simulations. Now that RockSim allows you to skin rockets in 3D with decals, I would say that all other rocket simulation programs literally and figuratively pale in comparison!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Hey Tim-

The Mac version looks great! Any rough guess when those of us who use the "other" platform will get Rocksim?

Originally posted by shrox
Wow Tim, I didn't know that. Cool. By the way, is that the Macintosh interface?

shrox

That is the prototype of the Mac version. There is still a long way to go even before it is ready to beta test.

Its so cool how you can simulate strap-on boosters with rsim... Withought that feature (or trick, whatever you wanna call it), I never would have been able to design my future kit release...

This is the Rsim export:

And this is the real thing.

Isnt rsim fun?:D

The 3D rendinging is durn good too...:)

Two more days to liftoff.... :D

(so no, it hasnt flown yet. Itll go Sunday, though.)

Back