Space Ark, The return

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not initially. I had to put a lot of weight into the nose. I think that's why the Pemberton kit has the wing further back, to increase stability. Mine is as close to the movie proportions I as could make it

Not initially. I had to put a lot of weight into the nose. I think that's why the Pemberton kit has the wing further back, to increase stability. Mine is as close to the movie proportions I as could make it
Have you done a simulation?

Progress report: Fuselage rebuilt. Got some filling and sanding to do. Next the fins.

Attachments

• PXL_20220712_151728957.jpg
    PXL_20220712_151728957.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
Progress report: new tail fin and new nacelle's attached. Ready for fillets and priming after mounting brace fin.

Attachments

• PXL_20220719_150003905.jpg
    PXL_20220719_150003905.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220719_150039068.jpg
    PXL_20220719_150039068.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Cool rocket, bummer about the disassembly. Is there a video of the flight? Please tell me there was a video.

Was the damage due to a cato, or were the (4) E's just too much stress for the airframe?

Speaking of which, this needs to be moved to mid-power. (4) E's do not a LPR make ;)

Neither. Slammed into roadway. Video is in the post. Would move it I knew how.

Thanks. Just watched the video and man... I hate that sound at the end.

Looks like it did the predictable "weather cocking" routine. Did the chute deploy before or after its arrival onto the asphalt?

I mean, ya can't blame the pilot for trying to land on the runway, right?

Given the condition of the nose cone I'd say after.

I sure wish they made a motor with a 2 second delay for those of us not building 3/FNC and 4/FNC's.

Did Space Dock except your request for repairs?

But after all is said and done... it was a spectacular flight.

Thanks. Just watched the video and man... I hate that sound at the end.

Looks like it did the predictable "weather cocking" routine. Did the chute deploy before or after its arrival onto the asphalt?

I mean, ya can't blame the pilot for trying to land on the runway, right?
When it headed for the tree I was hoping it would get caught.

When it headed for the tree I was hoping it would get caught.

I've got a couple of "overly finned" oddroc's that I hope to launch later this week that I know will weathercock. I plan to tilt the pad slightly so it leans with the wind (not into the wind) the thought is, once the rocket leaves the launch rod, the wind will bring the rocket back into vertical.

I'm willing to try anything I can do to get the rocket more apogee, to get the laundry out and billowing.

Well.... the initial boost looked promising.
And none of the motors CATO'd.
And it's not stuck in the tree or hanging from the telephone wires.
So.... that's sorta-kinda progress!??!!

At this point is it worth trying to reassemble... or would an all-new V2.0 make sense. Heck, it might even be easier!?!
Or you could cave in an buy Pemberton's? It may be a bit less prone to weathercock.

http://www.pembertontechnologies.com/the-space-ark/

There are a couple of parts that are salvageable, but not much. Going back to plan a which will mean a complete reconstruction. I probably will go with a single motor and build a dummy four engine cover for when it's on display. Should it survive its flight.

Back