Space Ark jr resurrection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
In the spring of '08 I flew my Space Ark jr (the original threat can be found in the TRF Archive) at our smallest field.
Unfortunately it landed in the street and was run over by a car!

The damage wasn't that bad. The tail fin was broken in two places, both wing joints were cracked, the forward end of the BT squished and the NC was dinged up (see first two pics).
After sitting for over a year I decided it was time to finally fix it.
At first I though I was going to cut off some of the BT and splice on a new piece. But after sitting with the NC in the BT for over a year the tube didn't look too bad. I decided to put some reinforcement on the inside of the tube. I cut a piece of a magazine subscription card to fit the inside of the tube, glued that in and coated with CA. Sanded the NC shoulder to fit. Sanded the creases in the BT, coated with CA and sanded again.
Sanded the NC and filled dings with F-n-F.
Glued the tail fin back together, glued the wing joints, filled and sanded then repainted.
Doesn't look too bad, there are some "scares" but you can't see them in the pictures.
Will be flying it this Sat at the next CMASS launch.

SAJ damage 1 sm.jpg

Space Ark Jr. ar1 sm.jpg

Space Ark Jr. ar2 s.jpg

Wow, nice repair job Tony.

It looks great. I really love this kit. Layne did a great job putting it together.

Sorry I won't be there to see it fly again.

My run-over rocket got squished from nose to tail. :(

Right down the whole length of the body...

Thanks Mark.

Sorry you can't make the launch.
I'm sure you'll get a chance to see it sometime soon.

What a beauty! Makes me sad it got run over, but you repaired it wonderfully! And nice job on the silver coating too! Those are rough to keep shiney.

<hands clapping, cheering>
Woot!
Trudy,
PemTech's Art Department and cheerleader

Back