Southern Thunder 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rail-Buttons.com will be attending. To anyone going, if you need anything, send me an email and I will make sure I have it for you.

Can't wait, this is always one of my favorite launches of the year.

Most end up staying at the Ambassador Inn. Saturday evening there is a gathering near the pool.

Checked out the site but did not see any information on the waiver. Is this a site to fly M's in 5" rockets?

Checked out the site but did not see any information on the waiver. Is this a site to fly M's in 5" rockets?
14K waiver in the morning, 10K afternoon. The site is surrounded by trees and a 10K flight will almost certainly put you in the trees.

Depends on the winds. I've flown to just under 7K and had the rocket land on the field, not too far from the pads. It was dual deploy though. I wouldn't go over 4k single deploy, and only if it was very calm that day.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Not the 22nd!!!
That is the weekend of my family reunion and I promised me Mum I would be there.

14K waiver in the morning, 10K afternoon. The site is surrounded by trees and a 10K flight will almost certainly put you in the trees.

Thanks Tom! Are you planning on going? I'm working on getting Greg to go too. Always fun to see new fields!

Appreciate your thoughts Randy, all my flights will have dual deploy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Not the 22nd!!!
That is the weekend of my family reunion and I promised me Mum I would be there.

Have them change the location of the reunion to the "Mid Tenn Picnic Area" just outside Manchester.
:grin:

Thanks Tom! Are you planning on going? I'm working on getting Greg to go too. Always fun to see new fields!

Appreciate your thoughts Randy, all my flights will have dual deploy.
Just booked a room at the Ambassador. Planning on the big Deuce but haven't heard yet if there's a Unistrut rail available. Will also bring a 3/4" rod and the 54 mm deuce. I also haven't seen any indication if one of the days is research.

AFAIK, there is no research day. Both days, 22nd and 23rd, are under NAR insurance. I know that there are several 1010 1" rails and I think a couple of 1515 1.5" rails.

If there isn't a Unistrut rail, I know a guy that can set you up with some 1515 buttons. :wink:

Looks like Southern Thunder had a good launch this weekend. Just a few shy of 200 flights on Saturday and a bunch today. Haven't heard a final number for Sunday's flights. Partly cloudy skies with a temp in the upper 80's. Several certification flights including (IIRC) two level 3's and several Level 2's and 1's. A fun day!!

About 200 flights Saturday and 100 Sunday. Weather was great, light winds both days. Thanks to HARA and MC2 for another job well done.

Back