SOUTHERN THUNDER 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mark your calendars SOUTHERN THUNDER 2009, is June 19th(EX only on that Friday this is a Great addition to an already fablous Launch) 20th and 21st.

MC2 and HARA missile clubs, your hosts, Welcome you to TN.

See you all there.:)

Irv Schlenker MC2 Misssile Club

Last edited:
YAY! You might see a small contingent from Michiana Rocketry there. I know one of our members loves your field and is trying to get the rest of us to go.

Mmmkay...standard questions:

Lodging?

Research launches?

Cost?

On-site motor vendors?

I know you probably don't have all of this lined up yet but I thought I'd ask.

:D

-DAllen

If you've never been...you must go! The launch field is great and the people are super!

Oh. And if by chance you're on your way down for Bonnaroo...it's the very next weekend, and it's just up the road! Or down the road, depending from where you're arriving. Music one weekend, and music to your ears the next...it can't be beat!

It is a great field. And since they moved NERRF this year I just might be able to make it.

YAY! You might see a small contingent from Michiana Rocketry there. I know one of our members loves your field and is trying to get the rest of us to go.

Mmmkay...standard questions:

Lodging?

Research launches?

Cost?

On-site motor vendors?

I know you probably don't have all of this lined up yet but I thought I'd ask.

:D

-DAllen

You must be talking about me! Yes, ST is a great launch put on by a bunch of great guys. I've made it down in 06 and 08, but it maybe tough since I'm going to LDRS this year.

I'm not sure my rocket budget will support tow big launches that close together.

Guess I won't know for sure until May.

Here's a link to HARA's website, it should answer a few of your questions.
https://www.hararocketry.org/HARA/Main.html

Last year there were quite a few vendors: Al's, Hot Rod Rocketry, and Wildman Kentucky to name a few.

If you even thinking of going, I suggest booking a room early, the Ambassador is normally the host hotel if I recall correctly. I luck out and have relatives on the south side of Nashville that I stay at. https://www.ambassadorinn.com/index.aspx

Okay, I'm going to pencil this one in. I've wanted to go for a couple years now, and with it only being a little over a 5 hour drive - it's doable.

so is this a commercial only launch? Both clubs hosting seem to be NAR only.

Ben

so is this a commercial only launch? Both clubs hosting seem to be NAR only.

Ben

Ding ding ding... HARA is also a Tripoli club; Prefecture #80, Prefect: Walt Stafford.

Walt is inquiring about a Research day, which would usualy fall on the Friday prior to the main event.

My understanding is, MC2 is NAR, but may be seeking a Tripoli Prefecture as well.

We have been approved for a research day on Friday June 19th.Standard research rules apply.The 75% rule knocks the waiver down to 15K.I will be checking for Tripoli ID cards.Last year we had a NAR guy try to slip in a flight on us.NAR guys join Tripoli and turn this into a three day launch for you(if you are at least 18 of course).

ST 09 June the 20th and the 21st is now both NAR and Tripoli, as mc2 rocket Club is sanctioned by both organizations.

June the 19th will be a Tripoli EX launch ONLY.

This is with out doubt the finest field in the Southeast US, its like a square mile+ of your front yard don't miss it. Bring the whole family. Hotel acommadations and recommendations to follow.

Launch Pads
20 Model rocket pads
10 Mid power pads
10 HI power pads
3 M though P pads
BRING YOUR OWN IF YOU WISH!!!!!!!!!

Waivers 20K 10am to 12am, 14k 12am to 5pm, Sat and Sun.
The famous or maybe infamous ROCKET BURGERS AND DOGS along with all the complete fixens as we say in south.

Raffle with over 50 prizes.

TEE Shirts will be available, will advise.

Directions please visit mc2rocketry.com

Love to hear if a nite launch should be brought back this year????????

Irv:)

I'm not sure I will be able to make it this year since I'm going to LDRS, but a night launch might be just the thing to to make it happen.

We plan on making it back down there this year. It's an awesome launch with an awesome field and awesome people :D If all goes well I'll go for my L3 too...a list of what I'd like to fly will be coming soon.

If you are planning to come to Southern Thunder get your logo on the vendor page NOW. Go to Southern Thunder 2009 then go to vender page. We want to get your names on the T-Shirts, as well.

Irv schlenker:)

I have logged into a hotel thru Expedia, so I'll be at Southern Thunder for all three days:

For the research day, I will lofting a modified Public Enemy 4" Extreme Performer on a 6-grain 54mm Wimpy RED motor (no motor designation...)

And for the ST2009 launch itself, I will be launching my SA-14 Archer on a Loki J320 RED...

Some midpower items I am looking at, are my Estes HOJO on a 24mm E18 or F24, and maybe an old Vaughn Brothers Rocketry B.o.B. (Ballistic or Bust) rocket on a G64...Modified, as dummy me walked thru a doorway, not noticing that the rocket was somewhat sideways, and "CRIMP!!!" I bent the long rocket...it is now shorter than stock.

Anyone else coming to the launch, or do I have the field all to myself?

Is the launch always in June? I woudl like to attand next year.

If you are planning to come to Southern Thunder get your logo on the vendor page NOW. Go to Southern Thunder 2009 then go to vender page. We want to get your names on the T-Shirts, as well.

Don't know if we can make it this year, but we will try. It was a blast last year and the folks are great.

It's all 3 days for Kevin & Kyle. :)

Kyle will be attempting his L1, L2 & L3 TRA Certification flights during ST '09. :D

I might have a Special Project there as well, but the details are classified. :y:

Oooooo, I think I might go to this one. I'm thinking of getting my L1 back and flying some Loki H's, along with a few G's and such. Granted, that will depend on how the LEUP situation stands at that time. I'll talk to some folks and pencil it in.
Reed

Don't forget me. I have sent the required e-mail.

Oooooo, I think I might go to this one. I'm thinking of getting my L1 back and flying some Loki H's, along with a few G's and such. Granted, that will depend on how the LEUP situation stands at that time. I'll talk to some folks and pencil it in.
Reed

Visit my booth, I'll see to it that you fly all of the LOKI you want. I expect the APCP thing to be over, if not there is alwasy Plan B (supervision) you and anyone else can fly under my permit. Not a problem.

David,
Yeah, I believe it'll be over soon too. Now I just have to talk to some friends to see if they wanna come and help split costs.
Reed

Don't forget me. I have sent the required e-mail.

It's -GREAT- that you'll be at ST '09. :D I look forward to meeting you.

Make sure you bring some Super Fat Boy igniters. We'll need a couple. :)

Thanks-

Visit my booth, I'll see to it that you fly all of the LOKI you want. I expect the APCP thing to be over, if not there is alwasy Plan B (supervision) you and anyone else can fly under my permit. Not a problem.

Do we need to pre-order for that or will you have lots o'motors with you? cauz i have no idea what i'll have ready to fly.

Back