Sourcing components for customizing rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyGoblin

Reaction score
I am building a DX3 from Madcow Rocketry. I'm taking inspiration from this post from 2017 since it has similar components and a lot of really interesting ideas. Specifically I'd like to put GPS in the nose cone, or at least to have that option so I'm considering doing something similar to what they do in the original post with a ring and a bulk plate bolted on. The link they provide is no longer active and I can't find where to find parts for that sort of thing. I considered a 3" OD 29mm or 38mm centering ring but I can't find any with the right diameter.

I guess I'd just like to know where to look for specific components and stuff. I've been looking through Apogee.com and Madcow Rocketry which seem to have a lot of stuff.

Right now I'm just planning my build but I'm considering documenting it for the experience. This is going to be my L2 cert rocket I hope.

Hi- try Wildman for parts and excellent service. Talk with them about the ring dimensions and they probably can send you a fiber glass or plywood one. Also-you can DIY. Buy 1/4 inch plywood sheet at hobby lobby and you can cut a centerning ring with 2 hole saws, one for outer circumpherence and other for the inner one. If not exact inner circumpherence, then use a smaller one and sand to the right size. Without a picture of the NC sled in general you can use plywood (1/4 inch) or G10 (3/32 inch thick) cut to your needed dimensions. Wildman sells those sleds also.

Good luck!
Fred

Assuming this is the 4" version, The two components you need are a 4" x 54mm coupler centering ring and a 4" coupler bulkhead.

Where to look for these depends on how old the kit is. If the fiberglass tubes are green, then the kit is a bit older. You can call Madcow or Composite Warehouse and they should be able to send you those two components.

If the fiberglass tubes are red, then they are newer and were supplied by Wildman. In that case, call Tim at Wildman and tell him what you need.

Once you have a properly fitting CR and BH, tape them together and drill your holes through both at the same time to ensure alignment (a witness mark is a good idea to ensure you put them back together correctly). I would epoxy PEM nuts in the back of the CR so you can bolt the bulkhead on when you insert the tracker sled.

If you have access to a CNC router, disregard all of the above and fabricate your own rings with precise holes.

One thing that you can take to the back and that is, you will never be able to find all of the parts you need from a single source.
The Rocket Gods are heavily invested in UPS and FedEx.

I am building a DX3 from Madcow Rocketry. I'm taking inspiration from this post from 2017 since it has similar components and a lot of really interesting ideas. Specifically I'd like to put GPS in the nose cone, or at least to have that option so I'm considering doing something similar to what they do in the original post with a ring and a bulk plate bolted on. The link they provide is no longer active and I can't find where to find parts for that sort of thing. I considered a 3" OD 29mm or 38mm centering ring but I can't find any with the right diameter.

I guess I'd just like to know where to look for specific components and stuff. I've been looking through Apogee.com and Madcow Rocketry which seem to have a lot of stuff.

Right now I'm just planning my build but I'm considering documenting it for the experience. This is going to be my L2 cert rocket I hope.
Is your DX3 the cardboard or fiberglass version? Nosecone bays are pretty easy, but will require you to do some sanding to make everything fit (for a plastic cone/cardboard rocket). My version: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/blackfish-l1-super-dx3-build.163514/post-2080003

Back