Source for mylar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this was covered a loooong time ago.

Check at a flower shops. They have the Mylar baloons...without the helium please!

Or check with flying_silverado at: https://www.thrustaero.com/

sandman

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
I'm looking to make some parachutes, anyone know a good source for mylar?

Party Stores, Walmart, Micheals, Franks Craft stores. Check your, "For A Dollar Stores" for hidden rolls and Packs. Usually you can either find it in packets (5- 18x30 sheets) or in rolls 25'/50'/100' rolls up to 30" wide.

If I had to choose the best place to buy quality mylar it's Papermart.com. The mylar is the best that i have found but i tend not to buy much from there because they charge an arm and a leg for shipping. I do keep some of their stuff in stock for custom work. Lot's of great colors...here's the link

https://www.papermart.com/templates/page.asp?PAGE=47-0-40

Originally posted by rocket trike
So Flying do you use the sheets or the roll stuff??

Rocket
I like the sheets better from Papar Mart if I can get them. They are very thin and the color is the same on both sides. The problem is it's only 18" wide. For me, I make chutes from 8" all the way up to 30+ inchs! So, rolls work better for me in terms of production. If you make a lot of chutes that are 18" and smaller, sheets will work just fine.

If you can find a 50 foot roll of silver or chrome mylar, ease open the package and see if you can get your fingers on it to see how thin it is. If you can find a roll that's fairly thin like this, buy it! If I had to have only one roll of mylar in my shop, chrome would be it.:cool:

If you need a really big 'chute, you can always buy one of those 'space blankets' that hikers carry for emergencies.
It is a big sheet of silvered mylar from which you could make a four or five foot diam parachute?

Originally posted by powderburner
If you need a really big 'chute, you can always buy one of those 'space blankets' that hikers carry for emergencies.
It is a big sheet of silvered mylar from which you could make a four or five foot diam parachute?

OK, I have held back as long as I can...where does one purchase said blanket?

I got one from the local army surplus store. I did not like the one that I got it was a little heavy and the silver rub off from it. They also have them at wal-mart also and it said it was made out something different then the one I got from the army surplus store. I think they both run something like $1.99. I got some metalic sheets from Hobby Lobby amd they work real good but color on one side but the color stays on. But the stuff that you siad was good from the link you gave earlier is what I going to try next.

Rocket Trike

Originally posted by flying_silverad
where does one purchase said blanket?

trike is correct, you can find hiker's emergency blankets at W-mart (what CAN'T you find there?)

I also know that Academy and Oshman's (sports & outdoors gear) sells 'em, and they appear occasionally at the 'dollar' stores

the ones I have bought were silvered mylar
they are made that way for durability, in case you actually have to use one out in the woods; you can't have a cheap piece of regular plastic sheet that punctures and tears
I have used them for parachute and streamer material, but they come all folded up in a 3 inch square and even after you open up the sheet, the mylar still shows rows and rows of folds (I have never tried ironing to get it flat again, but who knows?)
I have also chopped up an entire space blanket to make a 'chaff' payload for a model rocket --- boy, was that spectacular to see a big cloud of silver sparkles on a sunny day!

if you still can't find this material where you are, email me and I'll send you a couple

I've purchased emergency mylar blankets at Target in the past. They are made by Coleman.

Another source for large mylar sheets: the "door wraps" sold at Christmas in several stores (you cover the door to make it look like a large gift package). Right after Christmas, you can get them at 50% off, and they are about 40 inches wide. I also buy mylar birthday banners at K-Mart and Wal-Mart. They are about 3 inches wide with a chrome background. Make nice replacements for 12 inch parachutes on smaller rockets, and are very visible on sunny days.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
OK, I have held back as long as I can...where does one purchase said blanket?

I picked up mine at KSC when I lived in Orlando. They also have it in their online store:

https://store.yahoo.com/nasa/noname22.html

The one I picked up is Gold on one side, Silver on the other. Very nice for making hugh plastic plagues ;) I've made 24" chutes no problem, and the blanket will make many chutes.

I just noticed the dimensions of the online blanket. The one I picked up is easily twice as big, maybe more.

Back