Source for G 10 fin material - or go Canvas phenolic?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxQ

Tripoli 2747
Reaction score
Looking at getting fin material for a future build.
3 Inch diam. airframe...not radical - but will go to the limits in the range of all 38 mm motors available.
Have left over CF fabric to do to tip to tip.

Who do you like for sourcing G 10 fin material ?

Would that canvas phenolic by Mac Performance be a good alternative?

I've flown 3 through 6 grain 38mm motors on a 3" paper rocket with bare 1/16" thick G10 fins. The fins are tacked to the motor mount and then fillets on the body tube. I have a local source of G10 that supplies from 1/32 to 1" thick so I'm of no help there.

Edward

Looking at getting fin material for a future build.
3 Inch diam. airframe...not radical - but will go to the limits in the range of all 38 mm motors available.
Have left over CF fabric to do to tip to tip.

Who do you like for sourcing G 10 fin material ?

Would that canvas phenolic by Mac Performance be a good alternative?

I have seen many flights from Mac Performance rockets with the canvas past Mach 1 without issues. In my opinion it is much like G10 fiberglass.

Being that your going with a 3" body tube and 38mm as your motor mount. I dont see any of these flights going past Mach 2, so the canvas will work just fine for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my fins from public missiles. It was actually cheaper to send in a drawing and have them custom cut my fin then buying the sheets. I haven't built it yet but the fin look to be good quality and very nice cuts.

For getting your G10, Wildman's, Madcow, Performance Hobbies. All about the same price.

I had Nat at UpScaleCNC cut my fins for my level one. Not much more expensive going that route, and he does great work.

Never tried the stuff from MAC but I will order a sheet when I finally order a rocket from him, my next buy more than likely. Mike at MAC may even cut your fins too, don't know for sure.

Thanks guys.
Looks like I got some good options.

This will be a project that doesn't cost much of anything to start with, as I have a pile of left over Loc P. body tubes, Loc and PML nose cones, MMt and CR sitting around taking up work space...so I can put the $$ in the CF and fin material.

Cut one Loc NC for a boat tail, airframe is set up...with the Av Bay.
This one could go pretty quick, - once the fin material is on hand

Back