Source for FG and Aluminum sheets for CNC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnmanak

Reaction score
I am just getting into CNC routing - bought a Shapeoko for my home on a Black Friday sale and am looking to cut my own parts for a lot of items, not just rocketry. (not looking to start a thread about the CNC router itself - I know there are strong opinions out there about the different models)

It does not seem to be easy to source sheets of G10/G12 FG or aluminum. Does anyone have a good source for these materials? I am starting an L3 project and will need to cut some pretty decent sized parts for the 8" diameter rocket I am planning, so will need to get quite a few sheets of FG and Aluminum.

I am just getting into CNC routing - bought a Shapeoko for my home on a Black Friday sale and am looking to cut my own parts for a lot of items, not just rocketry. (not looking to start a thread about the CNC router itself - I know there are strong opinions out there about the different models)

It does not seem to be easy to source sheets of G10/G12 FG or aluminum. Does anyone have a good source for these materials? I am starting an L3 project and will need to cut some pretty decent sized parts for the 8" diameter rocket I am planning, so will need to get quite a few sheets of FG and Aluminum.
For aluminum it depends on how much you’re looking to get and what series you need. Unless you’re looking for sticks your best bet is probably online metals. Larger orders Yarde is reasonable and local to you.

We always order our G10 through McMaster, but I’m sure there are better sources.

For aluminum, I am planning to make 8" stepped bulkheads and a thrust plate, so need a sheet probably 1/4" thick that is at least 9"x9". That is the largest aluminum part I can think of at the moment. I will definitely want to cut bulkheads and thrust plates for smaller rockets in the future, so will need to source aluminum sheets around .2" thick, which seems to be what I get from Madcow and Wildman. I am not familiar with the different grades. Need to research that.

For FG, going to be cutting out some larger fins, so am going to need sheets probably around 24"x12" for the largest cuts.

For aluminum, I am planning to make 8" stepped bulkheads and a thrust plate, so need a sheet probably 1/4" thick that is at least 9"x9". That is the largest aluminum part I can think of at the moment. I will definitely want to cut bulkheads and thrust plates for smaller rockets in the future, so will need to source aluminum sheets around .2" thick, which seems to be what I get from Madcow and Wildman. I am not familiar with the different grades. Need to research that.

For FG, going to be cutting out some larger fins, so am going to need sheets probably around 24"x12" for the largest cuts.
6061 is pretty standard, I find the engineers where I work use a lot of 7075 and 7050 on parts seeing higher loads/more prone to fatigue, so depending on your needs they might be worth it. I think 70XX machines a little better than 6061, but they’re all very easy to work with.

For Aluminum try Metal Supermarkets: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
For Fiberglass sheet I use Eplastics: https://www.eplastics.com/search?keywords=G-10 FR4 Epoxy/Glass Laminate Sheet
I'll use McMaster in a pinch As they usually have everything but their prices tend to be on the high side of reasonable.

There are several online metal suppliers if you don't have anyone local. Just be sure to price it out including shipping since that can add up. https://www.onlinemetals.com/ is another company that often comes up in some of the cnc groups.

I have gotten so used to shopping for everything online, I completely forget to look local. I have to get better about that, I would much rather support a local shop than Amazon.

Metal Supermarkets looks great - they have 3 brick and mortar stores within 20 min of me, perfect! The other nice thing about local is, you can walk in the door with a part in your hand and say "I need a sheet of aluminum like this" and have them help you out with best choice.

Will have to take a ride over and talk to them today or tomorrow.

FG seems much more difficult to find locally. ePlastics looks like a good place to start, thanks!

Be sure to check out the Yarde Metals "Drop Zone". That can bring down the cost for the larger 9" x 9" piece. Might be worth asking about drops at your local Metal Supermarket as well.

Be sure to check out the Yarde Metals "Drop Zone". That can bring down the cost for the larger 9" x 9" piece. Might be worth asking about drops at your local Metal Supermarket as well.

Will do, thanks!

Back