• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Source for clear BT-60

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgreidy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a 5" piece of clear BT-60. I have the odd SDI Satellite nose cone / Geo Sat LV payload, and want to clone the Geo Sat. I can get a kit that contains the piece from Launch Pad 2000, but don't necessarily need all the other parts from the kit.

Does anybody know of a source for clear BT-60?

Thanks

Tim Reidy
NAR L1

Thanks for the heads up, but the last post says all the kits are sold.

Tim

It is not BT60 sized exactly but it is pretty darned close: You can find clear plastic tubes at most of your local hardware stores that are sold as safety covers for fluorescent light bulbs. The plastic sleeves come in two sizes, and the larger of the two is a close fit to BT60 stuff. It's a couple bucks for a four-foot long piece (and I think it is also available in longer sizes for the eight foot bulbs).

If you use a piece of "standard" BT60, this clear plastic tube will make a snug fit over the outside. If that is good enough for you (and it is un-noticable from more than three feet away) then you can make your payload section up to four feet long.

It is not BT60 sized exactly but it is pretty darned close: You can find clear plastic tubes at most of your local hardware stores that are sold as safety covers for fluorescent light bulbs. The plastic sleeves come in two sizes, and the larger of the two is a close fit to BT60 stuff. It's a couple bucks for a four-foot long piece (and I think it is also available in longer sizes for the eight foot bulbs).

If you use a piece of "standard" BT60, this clear plastic tube will make a snug fit over the outside. If that is good enough for you (and it is un-noticable from more than three feet away) then you can make your payload section up to four feet long.

This is what I used when cloning a Maxi-Icarus which is BT-60. I simply used a few wraps of masking tape around a standard BT-60 balsa bulkhead coupler so the clear tube was a tighter fit and then epoxied the clear tube to the tape. It's not perfect, but it worked well enough. Did the same for the NC shoulder with the tape wrap, but no epoxy - obviously - so I could USE the payload, althogh I never have.

Just don't use it where it could get
exposed to heat or ejection charge....

Likes to melt....

While not quite I perfect match what I've used in the past to replace the payload section on my Geo-Sat HLV has been Clear Polyethylene tubing from McMaster-Carr BT-60 has an OD of 1.637" Carr's #2044-T49 has an ID of 1.641" with an OD of 1.68". A tad big but nothing a little tape couldn't cure.

Back