3D Printing Soon to join the ranks of Prusa owners.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 3d printing, the difference between a great print and a mediocre print is attention to 1000 small details. Prusa has addressed 999..... For the type of printer it is ,it's the best you can get. There are many other clones, only one Prusa. I have a clone. It's not close..... Great choice.
The only thing to be aware of with this type of printer is that if you get to the point where you are printing tall heavy objects (like a solid fuel grain for a hybrid) then as the whole print moves when printing , you can still get top wobble marks and will have to slow down printing as the height increases. Hold a pencil vertically in your fingers and move your hand side to side to get an exaggerated version of the effect. The table with your print does the same thing even on glass as a base.
Remember to recalibrate when you change filament type. Print your test cube as a minimum. Different filaments have different shrinkage rates and this will be dependent on the bed temperature and filament type.
And always remember when you come into the workshop to discover your first 1/2Kg ball of 0.4mm plastic string your printer has created for you, it's just a sign the printer loves you, dad!!!!! :)

Great to hear it’s working well so far. Based on my experience a PVC based platform is not very stable. Maybe you’ll have better results but I found it too flexible, even with all the joints glued. Using 1-1/2” is a good start, and maybe if you can anchor it or use a lot of weight it will work well. As stated above, when the print bed is moving back and forth with a heavy print, it really starts to shake. My current table has a steel frame and I have about 40lbs of weight on the bottom and it still seems to move move than I’d like.

Good luck,

Tony

Great to hear it’s working well so far. Based on my experience a PVC based platform is not very stable. Maybe you’ll have better results but I found it too flexible, even with all the joints glued. Using 1-1/2” is a good start, and maybe if you can anchor it or use a lot of weight it will work well. As stated above, when the print bed is moving back and forth with a heavy print, it really starts to shake. My current table has a steel frame and I have about 40lbs of weight on the bottom and it still seems to move move than I’d like.

Good luck,

Tony

Thx for the encouragement. As to the flexing/wobbling, I concur. Back in my BOINC days I had built a two tier rack for a couple of desktop crunchers. It was stable but it would wobble a bit I had to service either PC.

For this project I will be filling the entire frame with sand. Although it won't eliminate the wobbling, it will go a long way to dampen it. The sand will also effectively mitigate any sound transmitted from the printer. Some large home audio subwoofers use the same technique to greatly reduce its cabinet's tendency to color it's sound.

Or an 18 inch ceramic tile. I chose the latter because it took up less room (height).
+1 to that. I purchased (3) 18"x18" floor tiles when I was at Home Depot. My plan is to recess the tiles where the MK3S will sit. I will use pure silicone adhesive between each tile. This will keep the tiles from resonating against each other.

Thx for the encouragement. As to the flexing/wobbling, I concur. Back in my BOINC days I had built a two tier rack for a couple of desktop crunchers. It was stable but it would wobble a bit I had to service either PC.

For this project I will be filling the entire frame with sand. Although it won't eliminate the wobbling, it will go a long way to dampen it. The sand will also effectively mitigate any sound transmitted from the printer. Some large home audio subwoofers use the same technique to greatly reduce its cabinet's tendency to color it's sound.

+1 to that. I purchased (3) 18"x18" floor tiles when I was at Home Depot. My plan is to recess the tiles where the MK3S will sit. I will use pure silicone adhesive between each tile. This will keep the tiles from resonating against each other.

You will be happy with the tile. I have one under all of my printers.

I forgot to mention that the tiles I purchased were on sale @ $0.38/tile. Yeppers, 18x18 inch tiles for 38¢ each! I would recommend to anyone wanting to add a tile or two to their setup, shop around their local big box hardware store or tile center for deals like the one I found.

So here is my 1st 3D print designed from scratch, a charging stand for my wife's FitBit Inspire HR.

FitBit Stand - 01-Small.jpg

FitBit Stand - 02-Small.jpg

FitBit Stand - 03-Small.jpg

My first iteration of the stand had a shorter depth to the base and the USB extension cable was mounted higher up. That combination left the stand prone to tipping forward. Version 2 fixed all that.

I know I still have a ton to learn about 3D printing and this project was a great motivator to dig in and get cracking.

So here is my 1st 3D print designed from scratch, a charging stand for my wife's FitBit Inspire HR.

View attachment 463903

View attachment 463904

View attachment 463905

My first iteration of the stand had a shorter depth to the base and the USB extension cable was mounted higher up. That combination left the stand prone to tipping forward. Version 2 fixed all that.

I know I still have a ton to learn about 3D printing and this project was a great motivator to dig in and get cracking.
Cute. You think you only have a ton to learn....... 😀. Parenthood. You’re never ready for it.
It amazes me that Prusa uses the printers to print the bits he uses for the printers and produces the best printer. There are a few YouTube videos of the print farm. Love to see the electricity bill.

Back