Something... or the other...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
Not exactly sure where i was going with this one... just got bored, found tubes, same old same old...

heres the mmts, 3x24
3x24mmts.jpg

body tube all slotted up:
mmtslots.jpg

fits nice and snug... now, first question: is doing this and having the mmt's sticking out of the tube in any way shape or form illegal/dangerous?

fincantest.jpg

the retainer: yes, its a nickel... a normal washer woulda been way too conventional

retainer.jpg

and what ive got so far... just needs a nosecone...

wholething.jpg

im alittle unhappy as to how much it weighs... the tube itself was 7 oz (best i had and i was bored!) i made the mmt's pretty much sized only for estes D motors... ill have to do a (relativly close) sim to see how high it'll get before i actually spend money (other than my 5 cent retainer) on a nosecone...

now, i need to rant about the apoxe i used. this stuff was cheap 99 cent store junk, and let me tell you it worked beautifully. i cant really compare it to much since the only other "apoxe" i have used is devcon, but i mean this stuff would get real tacky real fast, was easy to mix, dried in no time, and ACTUALLY dried, didn't get tacky then sticky then slightly moist then a day later dried... i cant say anything for the brand, although i have to get more and see the packaging... it was just simply 2 tubes with "apoxe" on each... lucky find :D

edit:

strange, pics wont show on mozilla but they do on i.e. its been screwey lately

having the mmts stick out like that is fine, its been done before, but i'm not so sue about the nickle... isn't there some kind of fine for doing something like that to money? :D ;)
looks cool, but since the rest of the rocket is 'non conventional' try to get an odd NC... Christmas ornament or something, be creative. cant wait to see it fly:)

I like the idea of an odd NC, looks cool, don't forget launch pics

Cool fin design. Looks like you got your inspiration from the Deuces Wild and Tres. If you can't find the right NC, draw a picture and send it Sandman, I'm sure he come up with something.

Try finding a skull or something like that at a Halloween closeout sale for a nose cone...

Originally posted by rocketkid88
having the mmts stick out like that is fine, its been done before, but i'm not so sue about the nickle... isn't there some kind of fine for doing something like that to money? :D ;)

Well, the irony here is that the nickel would have bought him a few washers!

That looks like a pretty rugged build. Why not get a piece of thin cardboard (ie - cereal box cardboard) and roll a conical nosecone? You could also roll the shoulder out of the same cone. It would match the pointy fins and keep to the scratchbuild cardboard motif.

Back