Something a little different (for me anyways) I'm working on

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I am working on a 5-finned rocket, with forward leaning "fingers", 24" long, can use C11s, C-composite up to E12 black powder engines (not sure I want to lose it on E-composites).

wedge variant rocket.png

Attachments

• v1.1 bt-55 in progress wedge 6-fin - 24inch.rkt
    146.7 KB · Views: 21
Making progress... body tube spirals filled and sanded, engine mount installed with a 4" inner liner (has aluminum duct tape inside it to reduce chance of the hibachi effect), 2 fins installed, should have all 5 fins and launch lugs on by the end of the day.

DSC02364.JPG

I did have one glitch; in an attempt to save time, I glued the launch lugs on the body, only to realize that the foamboard alignment gauge wouldn't come off. :( Fixed that though.

looks great - I like this one a lot - I have a 5 fin spiked rocket that has snagged a chute 1 out of the 3 times it has gone up - still came down ok - for the cool factor of that look, its worth the risk :)
I will be following this build for sure
e17Trw2.jpg

CoachSteve, that's pretty neat. I'd be worried about the fins below the body tube taking damage. How has it flown so far?

Wow, that seems like a lot of scorching there, but being as its a cluster rocket... :)

lol, sorry for the small thread hi-jack Bill, the intent was to give you confidence in your design - its going to be so cool.- the first time i sent it up my rail stop slid down a bit, the base was a little too close to the blast deflector, that and 3 D12s give off a bit of heat :)
Great performer though, one flight only 2 of the 3 lit - still went great. On all 3 it gets about 900ft, according to Jolly Logic.

Construction is done, next up is puttying and sanding, etc. I now have more accurate Rocksim stability numbers, etc, and it appears that I'll have to add a tad of noseweight (.2 oz) to the inside of the nose to keep the stability up to par (1.6 or so).

Nice! I like the subtle color change with the purple and blue. I usually end up with white/other, but this design really works with the two similar colors.

Hope it flies as nice as it looks!

Sandy.

I have built an upscaled version of this rocket that is nearly double the size of the original. It is 47" long vs 24" for the original, and uses an BT-80 body tube instead of an BT-55, and weighs in at nearly 24oz.

I did run into some issues with the fins, requiring me to paper them with cardstock and add the fin tip assemblies to give it more strength. Its always something. :(

Also, I did change the paintjob, as masking the fins on the original was such a pain in the butt.

nouZdrIh.jpg

Got in 2 flights last weekend for the upscaled Big Talon, on an F44-4, and F67-6.

R9V94teh.jpg

In flight:

Yq8kNSah.jpg
OMG! That is a cool bird! Love the paint, love the design, love the flight pics. You plain rocked it! P.s.-might have to poach this for a build, I love this bird! Maybe 3". G, H and I's? Sorry, too cool not to. Lots 'o' glass in the future. Those fin will eat a lot!

Thanks guys. I'll be happy to help. If you'd like the Rocksim file, I can send it to you. The original rocket was an BT-55 tube, the upscale is BT-80.

Note the problem I had, in this thread. Here Purely self-inflicted. The fin top assemblies do look better with the add-on piece for strength. The need for "papering" with cardstock was purely my mess-up.

Back