Somebody slap me....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I had this crazy idea last year. I built the thing but came to my senses and shelved the idea. Well, it just emerged from the junk pile and I have again pondered the flight. What I've done is adapt a screw-in umbrella holder as the nose section of a rocket. It should be stable as long as any spin at the nose is ignored.

Options include: use the whole thing as shown in the photo, cut off and use only the screw section, or put it back in the junk pile until the next beach trip. Please talk me out of this. :y:

14674923719_a1b8b2b221_z.jpg

That's just screwy
screwy.gif

Name of rocket? Screw Loose

Last edited:
Awww... Come On People... You know the drill... We all add a little bit to the conversation, then the hole thread will be much more fun.

Either people don't care about oddrocs, I scared them off, or the forum had an outage....

If you are going to launch it at MDRA, then no way I am going to talk you out of it. :wink:

What is the umbrella portion made of? It looks metal, which is an FAA no-no, isn't it?

That rocket is SCREWED! Hah, get it screwed!

No, no one?

Nate

Last edited:
The rocket is no problem, though I would be happy to slap you...

Launch lugs? The least you can do is put buttons on it. And being MDRA, they should be uni-strut.

For even considering this, you must have a screw loose.

If I saw you loading this onto the pad, I'd bolt.

It's just nuts!

If you are going to launch it at MDRA, then no way I am going to talk you out of it. :wink:

What is the umbrella portion made of? It looks metal, which is an FAA no-no, isn't it?
That's my concern, too. I'm pretty sure it's a MR/HPR code violation, altho I think it could be flown under EX rules. I know there are some nosecones used in EX with metal tips on them to tolerate the heat at high speed. But I'm pretty sure a metal cone is not allowed under the MR/HPR rules.

Doug

jeff_j_black got it right. It's plastic, not metal. H_Rocket: I'd need some big honkin standoffs to use buttons...easier to use the carcass of an ancient rocket and drill a hole in the screw section to accommodate a rod.

Given we can't make jokes about other nationalities or groups of people, this strikes me as the poster child for anti-pogo sticks. Turn it upside down, use the fins for handles....you only get one jump...
OTOH...this is a seriously professional 'core sampler'....
betcha it whistles just fine going up!

I would say the looks alone would scare me to the point of a prima facia banning. All I can envision is that big screw turning its way into the roof of the Ferrari I take to the launch. Fear of litigation over rides all attempts at fun. Big screwy fins up front may make it look awesome but are always a bad idea. Please keep all the fins and motors at the back of the rocket where they should be and follow all safety precautions. Do you have a computer simulation? What science do you have to convince me this thing is 100% guaranteed safe? Big lugs on a standoff going up a thick rod rod are for uncool old guys. Rail buttons are awesome and reflect youthful, hipster and 21st century technique. Leave the thick old rusty rods to that 70's show. No rod whip tolerated. What is all that screwed up drag up front doing to your CP? What is the speed you are leaving the rod at? How much stinking, performance robbing nose weight are you using? What motor are you going to use; are you low and slow or are you going to rip it off the pad? No matter what the answer I can make arguments against both for this screwy abomination. More power and nose weight are just an ignorant crutch to make up for poor rocket design. If the oddroc comes from the junk pile it should go back to the junk pile. Are you highly certified? Do you have good insurance? Do we need to assign an oversight committee of highly certified members to monitor your screwy oddroc activities? An absolute zero tolerance for screwy oddrocs is the way to go. Being different is just too scary and I don't like the looks of it. Just take that thing back to you parents cellar and stare at your poster of Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Have I talked you out of it yet? Was I too mean? Did I wound your inner oddroc child?

NO. You are a hardened oddroc flying machine and you can take all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. This one is Kid tested, Mother approved. NO FEAR. TRUST IN THRUST. JUST DO IT!

Rockets are supposed to travel above the clouds in the realm of Heaven. Not drill down to Hades below. This is not a Journey to the Center of the Earth. You punch a hole in the sky. You do not screw yourself into the ground.

Rockets are supposed to travel above the clouds in the realm of Heaven. Not drill down to Hades below. This is not a Journey to the Center of the Earth. You punch a hole in the sky. You do not screw yourself into the ground.

I think Daddy has nailed it here.

Sorry if that puts a wrench into your plans.

fegbqh.jpg

Last edited:
Just like the first desperate old field worker in the Middle East. Get some tater water and mix it in with orange juice, no one will know. You can escape the authorities with this new drink, now it just needs a name.

I see the guy who was going to fly the washing machine agitator ran off in terror after that thread got the treatment. We all need to be kinder and gentler to our sensitive and passionate oddroc flyers. No slaps, just warm fuzzies and Kudos.

we weren't trying to agitator him... but I guess something was lost in the wash.

So how much does it weigh? What will you fly it on? It would be interesting the see where Cp is on this.

rstaff3 sent me an email. He said that something is screwed up with the forum and it won't let him log in. He said that he hasn't given up on this.

Hurray! I can log in again!

Thanks for all the twisted, screwy comments! BTW, the name is Sand Auger :D

It definitely needs a rear eject chute that looks like a beach umbrella, or a beach towel streamer. Now ideally I'd like to push the launch button on this have it recover under umbrella and drill itself into the ground and then enjoy the rest of the launch under a shady spot with a cold beverage.

Back