Some Remembered Shrox Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear eject may be rough on those forks when the rocket descends nose first. Would an external shock cord mount allowing horizontal descent help? Maybe attached on the belly?

Do you hate this rocket, or do you have this rocket? Only Rammstein knows for sure.

Except, I know that I've got a home built version of this rocket. And, I surely do not hate it.View attachment 114373

Its also a rear eject, for that smooooth feel at the nose cone. It's a BT-70 size, so yet again, I'll be using them mid-power engines. I need to find a better launch site with more acreage and fewer trees. Anyone in the Vancouver region of Washington state and have a secret launch facility that could be shared?

It was built from this design.
View attachment 114378
I had to extrapolate this one, but even with possible variances, I'm really happy with it.

This one had trouble ejecting at high altitudes. I live on the Lost Coast at sea level, and it did fine there, but in Colorado Springs, it wouldn't fully eject!

Now, for some of the Shrox rockets from plans Apogee released in their newsletters.

The Dart was in newsletter 92.

Dart.JPG

According to the plans it's made of a 1.176" tube, so I used one of the 1.18" tubes from Quest. I also made my own nose according to the Rocksim that Apogee provided.

(Note, the Bolaero Z that I posted earlier was in newsletter 76)

The DC SAM was a plan released in Apogee's newsletter 83, all the way back in 2002. Yup, Shrox is like one of the long term features of our hobby. So is Tim Van Milligan, since his newsletter was all the way to 83 by then. (Not to forget that Tim goes way back to some helicopterin' annal of rocketry history.)

DC Sam.JPG

This is a BT-50 sized rocket, but I also made a BT-5 sized downscale. But, I'm keeping the baby version to myself and not posting pictures, cuz it wasn't really a Shrox design.

DC-SAMpic.jpg

Last edited:
Helios is from newsletter 80.

Helios.JPG

If you look closesly, and compare it to the original design, you'll notice that one of us got something wrong.
helios.jpg
Either I put the forward fins on backwards, or for some reason, the illustration and rocksim file that Apogee provided drew those fins in reverse and I corrected their mistake.

Either way, it wasn't obvious until I put on the decals.

Maybe I should build one of those Katyusha-style Helios launchers in the picture as well, for some exciting mid-air launches.

The Javelin was in Apogee's newsletter 85.

Javelin.JPG
To get the metallic look in the blue paint, I airbrushed it with metallic blue sapphire acrylic paint, and then clear coated it. It's one of the coolest blues I've shot, I think.
Javelin.jpg

The Sea Snake was in newsletter 142. It's also of the 1.176" diameter, so I again used Quest 30mm tube, which is 1.18" - close enough for cloning work.

Sea Snake.JPG

I could have used a brighter green, but didn't go looking for one. So I went with a lighter green, which I think was the same as I used on my Klingon war bird. Oh well, close enough for cloning work.

SeaSnake.jpg

The TVM-01 was in newsletter 73 - about the earliest Shrox contributed, I think.

TVM-01.JPG

TVM-01.jpg

Twoner is a two stage rocket, published in Apogee's newsletter 140.
Twoner.JPG
I should probably mention that for these Apogee newsletter Shrox rockets, I've put baffles into all of them. I've never used baffles before, so I researched various methods, and each of the rockets have different variations on baffling methods.

It's science all the way down!
TwoNer.jpg

Vipox is most likely not a copyright infringement on anything resembling a Mormon space trek. At least, I only inferred a subtle inspiration from some well-done-for-the-80's science show.

It was released in the Apogee newsletter 96.

Vipox.JPG

I plan to launch this rocket when I build the Estes Battlestar Galactica Viper kit that I got from my brother for Christmas. Which, I expect, will be launched with the Cylon raider that I made for him the previous Christmas by kitbashing a 1978 Mattel Cylon Raider toy (not model). And, it will be launched with the Battlestar Laser Torpedo I cloned from Jim Z's site.
VipoxPic.jpg

The XF-45 is a Shrox design which was released in the Apogee newsletter 98.

XF-45.JPG

XF-45.jpg

Oberth was Shrox's design, released in Apogee newsletter 93.
Oberth.JPG
Of the Apogee newsletter rockets, this is one that is among the most appealing to me. I really like the tube-fin design, coupled with the rounded fins. I think it's got nice lines, and it has a ping-pong ball, t' boot.

OberthPlan.jpg

Rear eject may be rough on those forks when the rocket descends nose first. Would an external shock cord mount allowing horizontal descent help? Maybe attached on the belly?
My plan was to launch it just right, so that it misses the earth when it lands. Then, it wouldn't break nothin.

Actually, you've got a good point. I think I will give that a try. I've considered it for a couple rockets - such as the big-assed Discovery paper model from 2001 that i eventually gave up on - but have only yet used it on the Estes Saturn V.

Tonight, I'm posting some of the Shrox kits that go together - out of the zillion or so kits I built that Shrox designed.
Orion.JPG
The Orion was one of the plans released by Apogee, in newsletter 78. It's a little BT-50 sized rocket.
OrionPlan.jpg

This version of the Orion is one that I think precedes the Apogee release.
Orion shrox.JPG
I had only this black and white image to guide me, so made a guess as to the decal and color scheme. To guide the scale, I assumed it was to be similar in size to the Apogee newsletter Orion.
Orion original.jpg

The Orion Transport is a BT-70 scale version of the Orion released by DynaStar, i.e. from Apogee
.Orion Transport.JPG
This rocket was also modified to be rear-eject, partly because I plan to be able to swap out the engine block with mounts for various sized engines. Since it was designed to be a light-weight rocket, and thus pretty versatile, I'll start with an 18 mm mount, so that I can use some of the 18mm D engines from Apogee. I'll also make an ejection motor mount with a 24mm mount, for estes D and E engines.
orion.jpg

The Stonebreaker AX was an Apogee newsletter rocket, issue 75.
Stonebreaker AX.jpg
Usually, simple 3FNC rockets interest me only a little. But, I really like this one. The forward swept fins, and the bold colors in the bands, really catch my eye

stoneax.gif

This BT-70 scale version of the Stonebreaker is from Dynastar, which I bought from Apogee and cloned (build one, keep one...) It looks just as good as the littler Stonebreaker AX, but bigger. And bigger is gooder.

Stonebreaker Dynastar.JPG
Again, I built mine with rear eject.

stonebreaker.jpg

This is not the Dynastar Firefox model.

I encountered an image of this one as part of Shrox' midpower rockets, captured in an image with a midpower X-3 and an SHX-15. Originally, I wasn't totally sure what it was, since it differed from the Dynastar Firefox. But, once I finally bought my Firefox kit from Dynastar, I was sure that I could make out the fox logo, the russian star, and the CCCP in the illustration. So, I built it as a Firefox, older style.
Firefox SHX older.JPG
Again, a BT-70 model, which I built as a rear eject. Smoother nose seams, and interchangeable engine mounts.

shroxmidpower.jpg

This version of the Firefox is likely more recognizable. In fact, it is one of Shrox's very recognizable designs, with the split in the center.

Firefox Dynastar.JPG
Outside of some of the really exotic rockets - like the Europa Probe - this is about the largest diameter rocket of the Shrox fleet. It's a BT80 sized rocket. With rear eject on mine, if you were noticing a theme. Thus, no seam in the middle of the window.

I cloned this from the kit I bought from Apogee, using basswood for the various parts. It came out a bit heavier, but that's what bigger engines are for, right?

This is not the Dynastar Firefox model.

I encountered an image of this one as part of Shrox' midpower rockets, captured in an image with a midpower X-3 and an SHX-15. Originally, I wasn't totally sure what it was, since it differed from the Dynastar Firefox. But, once I finally bought my Firefox kit from Dynastar, I was sure that I could make out the fox logo, the russian star, and the CCCP in the illustration. So, I built it as a Firefox, older style.
Again, a BT-70 model, which I built as a rear eject. Smoother nose seams, and interchangeable engine mounts.

WHAT!!!

The whole point of that one is the angle cut fuselage! I'm sorry, but this is a serious infraction, I may have to recommend you be restricted to 18mm....

Well, OK. You're not restricted to 18mm.

The SHX-15 is a smaller X-15 inspired design from Shrox, being BT55 sized.

SHX-15.JPG
I found a plan view - front, top, side - of this rocket, so could come up with scaled drawings that I'm sure are pretty accurate.

The decals were a challenge - as they were on the others in this group. Laser-printed or ink-jet printed decals don't show up on black very well, since they are slightly transparent. One option I had was to print the decals on white decal stock, with black surrounding the colored region, letting the border of black on the decal blend with the black of the rocket. But, that kinda sucks a little, because the edge of the decal is white, and makes a thin border of white around the decal.

So, instead, I printed the decals on clear decal stock, including the black border. I then cut out a piece of white decal stock, larger than the colored area, but smaller than the black border. I put down the white first, as an optical barrier between the decal and black rocket. Now, the black border, being on clear decal stock and extending beyond the white decal stock, totally hid any white border. It actually blends in relaly well. A little clear coat, and it take a bit of scrutiny to see the trick.

SHX-15Old.jpg SHX-15Plan.gif

Last edited:
The SHX-15B is a midpower version of the SHX-15.
SHX-15B.JPG
I needed some help on this one, since it is a pretty sophisticated design. But, it's OOP, so no such help. Luckily, there were some build threads that answered some questions, and I winged the rest. (No pun initially intended. But, it was left in, because puns are the best form of humor ever invented.)

Is it, or is it no, built with rear eject? Yeah, it's rear eject. With BT70-sized tubes, its just too easy to fit the parachute around the engine mount, so it's just so inviting to shove everthing up the backside of the rocket.

shroxmidpower.jpg

This is a delta version of the SHX-15. Same basic size as the SHX-15B

SHX-15D.JPG
The only reference to it that I found was in the "forgotten Shrox kits" thread. So, I had no build threads to guide me. Instead, I just assumed that as a variant to an existing rocket, Shrox would have been starting from the SHX-15B, and tweaking it. That's what I did. The main tweak was the replacement of a with with a delta wing, and the wrap to give the rocket a fuller profile.

And the white paint, which I think looks really cool. And the decals, but I reused many of the SHX-15B decals for this rocket.

shrox said:
WHAT!!!

The whole point of that one is the angle cut fuselage! I'm sorry, but this is a serious infraction, I may have to recommend you be restricted to 18mm....

Well, OK. You're not restricted to 18mm.
But, but, but...

OK, I'll launch it with the few 10.5mm's I've got left over. It'll take a few. Maybe, I'll have to add a few MMX engines as boosters.

However, was that rocket in the Shrox Midpower Rockets illustration an early design for a Firefox? Or, was it another design, which goes by a different name? I've got decals of the names of the rockets on all the kits, so I can identify them. I'd change it if appropriate. And, I've got all of them labelled as Shrox designs, with either "Shrox" or "Shrox Reverse Engineered", to give proper credit (or lack of in the event that good enough for clone really wasn't). If they were made by a company, the rockets get that logo as well.

Here, for instance, is the label on the mystery mid power rocket.
reverse engineered.JPG

As for the one that I'm sure is a Firefox - meaning because the photo on the package I purchased from Apogee showed me that it was - that cut fuselage really does catch the eye of people who come over and see my collection. Maybe I'll take the Shrox label off, and make my own instead.... :p

Last edited:
David, I've been following this thread and I must say excellent work on all these kits. Please, when you're finished going through these post a group picture. Thanx for sharing.

Latest posts

Back