Some old (new!) motor hardware....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our club recently had an auction of rocketry items donated by folks who have decided to get out of the hobby. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to grab some nifty blue motor hardware.

For those who've been in the hobby long enough, this will be familiar. For those newer to the hobby, Dr Rocket used to make and sell AeroTech-compatible hardware under license. Standard hardware was red. Starting in the early 2000s, they would make a limited run of a unique color to coincide with LDRS.

This blue is from LDRS XXII in Argonia, KS (the second LDRS I attended). What I found amazing is that it was brand new (still in the original bubble wrap), with extremely low serial numbers.

-Kevin

full

I have a rifle case full of the blue Millennium hardware. I never knew what you have existed

I remember them being made. The only other color I recall specifically being made was Desert Fire.

-Kevin

IMG_0894_small.jpg IMG_1086_small.jpg

I put up an Art Applewhite 18" saucer on a J135W using green 54/1280 case on Saturday.

I've got the blue (also low #'s in my 38's... 0006, 0007, etc.) Also have the Desert fire 54s

I have a millennium 38/1080, and a green 38/1080. I've only used the millennium once.

The rest are blue, some red, some standard AT black/gold.

Good stuff :)

Might be fun to have a thread to see who has the lowest and highest number for each size case!

Has anyone made a purple one?

APS had purple casings intended for commercial loads; though they never made it to certification. "Woody" had purple casings; intended strictly for EX motors.

I've got a few sets of APS hardware...the purple casing with gold closures was a nice looking combo!

Here's one I picked up quite awhile ago from someone unknown. He was quitting the hobby and contacted me when I was a Prefect. Got some other motor cases but this was the best one. Missed Adrian's serial number by 3.

Tony

It was very hard to photograph:
2000-motor.jpg

Last edited:
I think the serial numbers reset for each day. I have a few in the single digit range.
This is my oldest.

29-180.jpg

Probably each month, the date of manufacture for the one pictured is 8/96, August of 1996 and it was the 189th one produced that month.
That makes sense, probably also starting at 001 for special editions, like the one I pictured. That would account for why the serial numbers are always so low.

Tony

Back