Some More Changes at Eggtimer...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since we've been cooped up for awhile, we've been busy on some things... details are now on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site, EggtimerRocketry.com

#1) We've added the same Auto-Arming function to the Quantum that we did for the Proton. If enabled, the Quantum will auto-arm 60 seconds after being powered on, assuming that it passes the continuity checks. This is ideal for those "switched on" installations, where you have to mess with a power switch and don't want to have to go through a second arming step (although we strongly recommend using remote arming anyway). You can disarm the Quantum by connecting to the WiFi page during the 60-second wait time (or after arming, of course). You can download the updated firmware at https://eggtimerrocketry.com/eggtimer-quantum-support/

#2) We've updated the Eggfinder Mini PC board to make it easier to build. Gone are the finicky edge-mounted GPS pads that were prone to coming loose, they've been replaced by more conventional SMT pads. We left the holes in the pads, you can still use the resistor leads to help align the GPS module. We've changed the holes for the GPS ground pads to slots, just like the TX and the LCD-GPS Module. Finally, we've spaced out the components a little better, especially the power leads. We started shipping the new version (A10) last week, the directions have been on the Eggfinder Mini support page for a few days.

#3) We've udpated the Eggtimer TRS PC board to make it a bit easier to build, and to add some functionality. We've changed the holes for the GPS ground pads to slots, just like the TX and the LCD-GPS Module. We've spaced out a few components a bit, and have extended some of the pads. Finally, we've added a header for an OpenLog datalogger, just like the Eggfinder TX... you can now save your GPS track to a microSD card if you add one. We started shipping this version about a week ago, the updated directions are now on the Eggtimer TRS support page.

As usual, thanks for all of your continuing support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

Cris, when was the previous update with auto arming Quantum distributed? Not sure if I’ve ever seen that option. Maybe I never flashed it. What is the version of the bug with auto arming?

Correct. Auto-arming is the only affected feature. From 1.06Q to 1.07D (current) there are some other changes that you may want... I recommed that you check the release notes on the web site.

---- LOVE your product ----- My only concern is, after just purchasing & building less than a month ago, is it already outdated?

We update the software on our more complex products a few times a year (no, we don't have an update "schedule"). Most of the time it's to add features, although occasionally it's to fix a bug. We generally announce any updates on TRF, since a large number of our customers are members. If we got into the email marketing thing we could send you updates, but that opens up a can of worms... opting out, privacy issues, etc., and we quite frankly don't have the resources to deal with them.

Thanks Cris, will give it a go later. A question though on update a proton. If you recall, I know you have lots of questions, but I could not get my proton to update. You sent me a new cable, at no cost, thanks, but it did not work. On the new quantum update it states "plug in battery and then remove paper clip" I left the paper clip in the whole time I tried to update the proton. Is that what I may have been doing wrong? Thanks.

Here is my wish list for enhancements, recognizing of course that Cris has a day job, and these requests are ultra low priority:

Next Apogee pcb run:
Make output PCB holes a bit larger (hard to get a decent gauge wire in the existing ones)
Place spacing to optionally accommodate a terminal block

On saving output files, embded the hex id of the board in the filename string.

Here is my wish list for enhancements, recognizing of course that Cris has a day job, and these requests are ultra low priority:

Next Apogee pcb run:
Make output PCB holes a bit larger (hard to get a decent gauge wire in the existing ones)

And power leads! I'd like to be able to get bigger gauge wire in the battery connection holes.

You really don't need larger battery holes, the Apogee is designed for a small 1S LiPo and they're all going to have very small gauge wire on the battery pigtails. The output leads are optimized for the Easy Mount, they're .250"/6.35mm. I might be able to move them a bit so a screw connector fits, but honestly you're better off just soldering some wire to it and connecting the wire to your terminal blocks (or better yet, just wire-wrapping your igniter leads around the end of the wire).

I do like the idea of imbedding the name of the Proton/Quantum in the output .csv file, I'll look at doing that. I'm also looking at adding an identification field to it so you can more easily figure out which one is which if you have multiples, and possibly the "Holy Grail", programmable SSID's.

A user defined SSID would be nice, else the Hex id of the device. Please keep the flight #.

20101018_proton_319C9D_dtl17.csv

(The date would not be realistic)

Last edited:
Back