Some help with 'chute selection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsNorth

Reaction score
I have just finished a SEMROC Thunder Strike https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=8538 and would like to get it in the air, but I would like some advice on the chute selection. I had thoughts of replacing the 16" plastic chute SEMROC supplied with an 18" Mylar chute because Mylar stays more plyable in cold weather (below freezing) than standard plastic chutes do.
When I opened the SEMROC chute I noticed it is a 4 shroud octagon design. The chute I was planning on replacing it with is a 3 shroud hexagon design. I'm now a little worried that the Mylar chute may not be up to the stress of deployment and decent. Anyone have any thoughts??
Thx

At less then 4 oz. I don't think it will matter if the chute is octagon or hexagon. What is going to make the biggest difference is if you select the correct delay. Getting that right is most of the battle.

At less then 4 oz. I don't think it will matter if the chute is octagon or hexagon. What is going to make the biggest difference is if you select the correct delay. Getting that right is most of the battle.
Thanks

Back