Some guy in Africa wants to send me money!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I must be a pretty popular guy, and trustworthy one at that. All these African bankers seem to want me, little ole’ me to help them with their dilemma: How to deal with the millions of dollars that are locked up in delinquent accounts, to get monies out of the country. And then they, can leave their meager existence, and join the corrupt-free free world.

Once again, today I receive a warm invitation to contact a lowly banker who is trying to balance his books, and carefully get said monies out of his country, and out of the hands of his oppressive government. I guess his heart is in the right place.. Oh, wait, I have two invites. And it’s an almost daily occurrence… They must share their info amongst themselves.. Talk about team work.. There must be billions in locked up “private” accounts..

Of course, that also raises the thought, that despite being poor (compared to our well being) it seems there are a lot of rich people in Africa who have died without any apparent heirs or family to claim their fortunes. With an apparently skyrocketing birth rate, I guess the wealthy choose to not have children. And with all this wealth, why isn’t Africa better off than portrayed on TV; the news, those UNICEF info-mercials..

And I guess I should feel extra special, since I have never met the bankers in question. I guess my reputation precedes me, or that my defunct & cancelled face book page helps portray me as a mediocre man, but a trustworthy man at that...

I guess I am the only one. These guys are bankers, and we all know we can trust bankers. Especially humble bankers who are seeking help from trustworthy people like me. I would guess they might contact a few other individuals, should I not be the person they expect. Any smart person makes sure they have a “back up plan”..

I should contact Mushareef, he seems legit & sincere, and talk about the $21.8 million in US dollars. This could be a welcome boost form almost loosing my job this month. I know the wife would be happy with a new whatever.

But first, I better contact Mr. Smythe, about the 1.2 million Euros I’ve apparently won in a British lottery… Strange, though, that I haven’t been overseas in a long time.. And that they, the UK lottery corporation don’t seem to have any contact info for me apart form a Hotmail.com account.

Seriously, how many of these things do we all get? Are there still people that gullible? That stupid to fall for this?! I am just truely amazied that this "scam" has been around for so long, and seem to be constant in our web-landscape..

Maybe you should introduce
Mr.Smythe to Mr.Mushareef....

:roll:

Check out this:

www.419eater.com

Some seriously twisted stuff in there and some of it is NSFW especially the forums. I am not into "baiting" (anymore) since it is so time consuming but some people have managed to get scammers to meet each other in real life. Hilarity typically ensues.

-Dave

I haven't gotten one in quite a while, but I used to get them fairly frequently. Apparently, I am no longer considered trustworthy. :eek:

Seriously, how many of these things do we all get? Are there still people that gullible? That stupid to fall for this?!

Sadly, I think there are or this scam wouldn't still be floating around the internet. Remember it only it takes ONE to fall for the scam and make the email papering worthwhile. I think the problem is when people are down 'n out, having difficulty making ends meet, have been unemployed for a lengthy period of time, they may be more likely to fall for this scam by rationalizing (wrongly) or hoping that THIS one is real and it will turn their life around....when it will only make it worse, most likely.

As for the British lottery....congratulations! Amazing you can win a lottery without every playing it :). I haven't gotten one of those yet.

I get one or two British Lottery wins a week... a few lost heir emails from Africa, a few Soldiers in Iraq trying to get money back to the USA, etc. It just gets filtered into my SPAM folder and sometimes I read it for kicks... other times it goes straight to the trash.

I mean, why would you even hesitate? What are you waiting for?

< sarcasm off >

It sure is tempting to fill in the response with a bunch of nonsense, obscenity, and false leads, but unfortunately any response to these stupid emails will only get you onto a list of "live" email contacts that probably gets swapped around all of Africa, north-to-south and east-to-west. (If your email was even from any part of Africa at all.)

But it would sure be satisfying to find a way to burn these clowns.

....Seriously, how many of these things do we all get? Are there still people that gullible? That stupid to fall for this?! I am just truely amazied that this "scam" has been around for so long, and seem to be constant in our web-landscape..
I get lots. Yes, people are still gullible - greed. Stupid enough - yes - greed.

I used to get these in the mail years ago and I was shocked at the first one I got. I was "estemed business" and I couldn't believe people fell for it. It got so bad, the senders started using fake postage to send the letters out.

Now much easier with email.

A large percentage don't fall for these scams. But with so many being sent out, it does add up.

In fact, I just got 2 emails this week regarding a free laptop from cousins.

People never learn.

I haven't gotten one of these in my inbox since I switched to Gmail. They have the best spam filter I've ever had with an email client.
Reed

I haven't gotten one of these in my inbox since I switched to Gmail. They have the best spam filter I've ever had with an email client.
Reed

Plus if you get 25 of your friends to sign up for it, a sick child in San Diego gets to go to Disneyland.

Too late, I already helped him out . . . funny though, he hasn't responded back after opening that account and sending him the details.

I mark 20-30 of these a DAY as phishing scams. It really got bad after I placed ads in Craigs List. NEVER use your main email address, make up a spoof one of your own, one you can just forget about when the phishers come calling(and they will). I even get emails claiming to be Robert Meuller the lll, the director of the FBI:shock: or Ruby Madoff wants me to hide $110,000,000.00 for her and her husband:roll:

Either that or I've totally wasted my chance to be a multi-billionaire:p

nigeria_scam.jpg

Very, Very, Very Very Funny ,
I won the Australian Lottery Recently.
The scams are every where .
I would gladly pay extra taxes for an Government agency that would stop all of this.
Oh wait I think we have some... The FCC and FTC
What are those people doing with our tax dollars?
We pay taxes for services we don't recieve.
Cornyl

In my mind, I can just see all the smart-a**es lining up for this one,
and all the admins posting extra guards.

I think I'll start popping my popcorn now, and ice down a few cold ones, and enjoy the show.

I would gladly pay extra taxes for an Government agency that would stop all of this.
Cornyl

The FTC recently busted the criminals who made all of those "extended car warranty" robocalls a few weeks ago. This happened because enough of us filed complaints:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-extended-warranty-robocallers-from-orbit.ars

This is exactly why we have government. Without this kind of action, telephones would have already been rendered useless as a result of out-of-control telemarketing.

Does anyone get them in other languages?

being in Quebec, I do get them in French too.. Same guy, same bad spelling, but in French..

Cornyl

I win those all the time! England, Ireland, lots of lottery wins.

Of course I was always under the impression you had to buy a ticket "first" before you win a lottery.

I've been doing it wrong all these years.:confused:

LOL! I just checked my spam! I won the UK lottery again!

I have won the UK and Irish and German and European and Australian lotteries so many times I should have more money than Warren Buffet!:rolleyes:

Meh!!! I have ya'all beat ! I get personal email from Robert Meuller lll, Director of the FBI and Ruth Madoff wants me to hide $110,000,00.00 for her and her husband, Bernie Madoff. That, and as soon as allllll the millions I've won from African Lotteries get here I'll own you all!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!*couch*cough* HAAAA!!:bangbang:

Bah, just about the same as I posted before but these were the fresh junk from the last 24 hours, more of the same, day after day.

Send me something new!!

Last edited:
Actually since I have changed service providers and have a new email addy, I haven't recieved ANY of these...Is nice, but kind of quiet now in the in-box..:D

The Nigerian 419 scam goes back before there was a web, email or internet.

The scam is so profitable they could snail mail thousands of letters with postage and still make money.

The internet and email just makes there job easier as now they can send out millions of email for practically nothing.

IMMEDIATE DUE RELEASE ORDER FOR YOUR PAYMENT!&#8207;
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Wed 6/03/09 6:26 PM
To:

Federal Ministry of Finance
International Settlement Dept
Ref: BCEAO/ird/cbx/022/09
Immediate Due release order

Attn: To Whom it concern!

Following the protest of the international community, the World Bank. IMF and the instruction by the president (Chief Dr. Thomas Yayi Boni) that all outstanding foreign debts especial next of kin/contract payment should immediate be release to the beneficiaries forth with unconditionally this year 2009. In this effect Your Contact Email Was Given To This Office In Respect Of the Total inherited/Contract Sum Owed To You Which You Have Failed To Claim Because Of Either Non-Compliance Of Official Processes Or Because Of Your Unbelief Of The Reality Of Your Genuine Payment.

(powderburner note: ME? unbelief? how do these people know me so well?)

We wish to inform you that Right Now We Have Arranged Your Payment Through Our Swift Card Payment Centers, which Is The Latest Instruction From Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) that This Card Center should be Send To You An ATM valuable GOLD DEBIT Card Which You Will Use To Withdraw Your Money In Any ATM Machine In Any Part Of The World. So If You wish To Receive Your Fund in This Way, shouldn’t hesitate to Contact;

Dr. Hamza Nahor
Integrated payment department
Via a secure email account: [email protected]

It has been mandated By the ECOWAS Parliament to Issue out to you no much than (USD$821,000.00) (powderburner note: Hmm. I might even try high-power with all this!) For This fiscal year 2009. Also for Your Information, You Have To Stop Any Further Communication with Any Other Person (S) Or Office (S) if you are still in contact in order To Avoid Any Hitches in Receiving Your Payment.

Yours in Service,

Dr.{Mrs} Grace Unor
International Settlement
Department.

OK, I know, I know, I will have to pay income taxes on this so I won't actually get ALL the money.....

IMMEDIATE DUE RELEASE ORDER FOR YOUR PAYMENT!&#8207;
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Wed 6/03/09 6:26 PM
To:

Federal Ministry of Finance
International Settlement Dept
Ref: BCEAO/ird/cbx/022/09
Immediate Due release order

Attn: To Whom it concern!

Following the protest of the international community, the World Bank. IMF and the instruction by the president (Chief Dr. Thomas Yayi Boni) that all outstanding foreign debts especial next of kin/contract payment should immediate be release to the beneficiaries forth with unconditionally this year 2009. In this effect Your Contact Email Was Given To This Office In Respect Of the Total inherited/Contract Sum Owed To You Which You Have Failed To Claim Because Of Either Non-Compliance Of Official Processes Or Because Of Your Unbelief Of The Reality Of Your Genuine Payment.

(powderburner note: ME? unbelief? how do these people know me so well?)

We wish to inform you that Right Now We Have Arranged Your Payment Through Our Swift Card Payment Centers, which Is The Latest Instruction From Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) that This Card Center should be Send To You An ATM valuable GOLD DEBIT Card Which You Will Use To Withdraw Your Money In Any ATM Machine In Any Part Of The World. So If You wish To Receive Your Fund in This Way, shouldn’t hesitate to Contact;

Dr. Hamza Nahor
Integrated payment department
Via a secure email account: [email protected]

It has been mandated By the ECOWAS Parliament to Issue out to you no much than (USD$821,000.00) (powderburner note: Hmm. I might even try high-power with all this!) For This fiscal year 2009. Also for Your Information, You Have To Stop Any Further Communication with Any Other Person (S) Or Office (S) if you are still in contact in order To Avoid Any Hitches in Receiving Your Payment.

Yours in Service,

Dr.{Mrs} Grace Unor
International Settlement
Department.

OK, I know, I know, I will have to pay income taxes on this so I won't actually get ALL the money.....

Reply,

Thank you, please, send the card!

Back