some clarification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Mods & other, splease help define a better thread name! And, of course, add to it!

The idea of this thread (make it a stickie) is to help beginners decifer the terms, the codes, and acronyms we use:

NC: Nose Cone
BT: Body Tube
BT-##: body tube size, typically an Estes body tube
MMT: Motor mount
CP: center of pressure
CG: center of gravity (balance point)
Barrowman: a calculation for stabability
CA: Cyanoacrylate glue, "super glue"
G-10: fiberglass board used as fin material
OOP: out of print / production
Rocsim: rocket desing and performance software (see 'Apogee' link)
CATO: Catstrophy After Take Off (usually a motor rupture or explosion)

Last edited:
Good idea! I'll get the title changed to something along the lines of "Common Rocketry Terms"

My impression of what this thread was going to be was that it was going to be a lot more then an acronym list.

It would include all the basics. Newton-second explanations and conversions. How to calculate a 5:1 ratio, and what that is. What CG and CP is and how they relate. What the letters, numbers and dash numbers mean on a motor. All that type of real basic stuff.

Of course it would also be where newbies could ask any question and get it answered quickly without any s(n)ide comments about prior knowledge or lack there of.

My impression of what this thread was going to be was that it was going to be a lot more then an acronym list.

It would include all the basics. Newton-second explanations and conversions. How to calculate a 5:1 ratio, and what that is. What CG and CP is and how they relate. What the letters, numbers and dash numbers mean on a motor. All that type of real basic stuff.

Of course it would also be where newbies could ask any question and get it answered quickly without any s(n)ide comments about prior knowledge or lack there of.

Handeman, the thought for this board is that it be for those who are brand new to the hobby of model rocketry. That could include youth or adults who are working on that first build, or maybe parents whose kid is working on a scout or 4-H project and they don't know where to start. The idea is to keep it basic with the expectation that as members become comfortable and skilled they'll move on to the other boards. Information and discussion about mid power and high power would still belong on those respective boards.

Yea, what Lisa said. Why don't we let the beginners ask the questions and see what they come up with?

At one point in the life of TRF, EMRR and TRF had an agreement that the EMRR Rocket Glossary would have a link at the top of the website to point fellow TRF'ers to the Glossary in exchange the TRF banner would stay at the top of the EMRR Glossary...

... the banner is still there. :D

The TRF thread can develop into what the TRF'ers believe they want or need, but I would like to encourage use of and growth of the EMRR Rocket Glossary, so if you find you add something here and it is not on EMRR, please submit it.

Thanks and cheers,
Nick

You're on Nick, let's keep carrying that forward. We'll get on it . . .

Cheers! I'm good with it!

(Troy, Pippen, Will: you wanna hit the 'delete & purge' button and paste in the EMRR link? Or whatever you need to do?!)

Yup, I'm going to pull out a few basic terms to include here and I'll tidy up the thread then.

Back