Solar power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Satire. If you have a large solar farm where all the ground was covered by 100% efficient PVs what would be the equilibrium temperature under the panels? (it wont be 0K but it will be cold)

Last edited:
uh oh, fight
UioJmqt.jpg

Last edited:
Some people complain about how there are too many landfills.
Some people complain about how solar panels use too much land.
And then you have those who install solar panels over landfills.

https://solarindustrymag.com/cep-re...tallations-for-25-6-mw-landfill-solar-project
"There are over 10,000 closed landfills in the United States, yet only a small fraction of these parcels have been redeveloped. Transitioning more of these landfill sites into solar projects will create more local tax revenue, jobs, cleaner air, and affordable energy for residents throughout the country."

Some people complain about how there are too many landfills.
Some people complain about how solar panels use too much land.
And then you have those who install solar panels over landfills.

https://solarindustrymag.com/cep-re...tallations-for-25-6-mw-landfill-solar-project
"There are over 10,000 closed landfills in the United States, yet only a small fraction of these parcels have been redeveloped. Transitioning more of these landfill sites into solar projects will create more local tax revenue, jobs, cleaner air, and affordable energy for residents throughout the country."
Makes total sense. What else could you do with a former landfill that would benefit society.

Yeah I love it when someone pulls out a smart idea that shuts down lazy critics.

that doesn't seem possible to have that many landfills🤔 in this country. Perfect place to totally cover with solar panels.

that doesn't seem possible to have that many landfills🤔 in this country. Perfect place to totally cover with solar panels.
There are about 20,000 incorporated towns and cities in the US. All that trash has to go somewhere. Interestingly, there are only around 1500-3000 active landfills and 10,000 abandoned/decommissioned ones. Anything brownfield is a good use for solar if it isn't going to be redeveloped.

Should try to be funded from the existing IRA if possible.
Yeah, that's going to be a lot easier to manage than getting $3B in new funding for PR through Congress in January. I suppose it could be rolled into the federal funding bill that's coming up now, but $3B is a lot to add on short notice. It can be done if there's political will, but it's harder.

... manage ... funding ... Congress ... federal ... bill ... political ...
🤒🤢:barf:

☀️😎🌞☀️😎🌞☀️😎🌞☀️

Here's the kind of thing I like to see:

"The company states that this is the first off-grid factory in the world powered entirely by a Megapack.

The MegaFactory applies similar technology found in S2A Modular's self-sustaining modular home product GreenLuxHome, bringing energy efficiency and sustainability to modular construction.

"Since commissioning the Tesla Megapack, all factory systems and equipment, including saws, air compressors, cranes, climate control, hydraulic lifts and more, have been operating exclusively on the energy provided by the Tesla Megapack using energy supplied by PVGraf solar panels."

https://solarmagazine.com/2022/12/t...e-off-grid-operation-modular-housing-factory/
https://www.freevolt.com/pv-graf-technology/

One of my clients is somewhat dissatisfied with grid reliability at their terminal(s) as their utility transitions to renewable power. Their proposed solution is kind of interesting though--they want to double down on renewables by installing a solar farm and batteries. I'm not sure if they're going to go to a full-on disconnected microgrid or if they'll stay connected to the main grid for backup. Personally, I would stay connected to the main grid, but there's sure to be many factors that I don't fully understand.

... I wonder how well it will work & what will the longevity will be. Time will tell.
Try things out is part of the fun.

One of my clients is somewhat dissatisfied with grid reliability at their terminal(s) as their utility transitions to renewable power. Their proposed solution is kind of interesting though--they want to double down on renewables by installing a solar farm and batteries. I'm not sure if they're going to go to a full-on disconnected microgrid or if they'll stay connected to the main grid for backup. Personally, I would stay connected to the main grid, but there's sure to be many factors that I don't fully understand.
You probably know more about this than me. I'd say it depends on where they are, and what the total cost per year is in each case.

Why is his grid getting less reliable?

Why is his grid getting less reliable?
Honestly, it's a little hard to tease out. We were also talking about other stuff and I had a deadline that day so I didn't really have the time to ask more detailed questions. I'm going to be somewhat nonspecific here because identifying the location would more or less identify the client.

His first statement was that the utility was getting less reliable as they made a transition off of fossil fuels to renewables, and that the "technology wasn't quite there yet." Later on, he mentioned that the utility had never really given them good service, and that the utility didn't seem to want to help them increase their service capacity. Given that they were considering a solar-battery system for themselves, it doesn't seem like the renewables "not being there yet" was the whole story. I don't know if they've always had reliability issues and this is a convenient place to place the blame, whether power was getting more expensive, or whether there was something else entirely.

California is changing the rules on home roof top solar panels so now there is an incentive available for home owners with solar to install battery backup systems to stabilize the grid.

https://www.canarymedia.com/article...net-metering-batteries-emerge-as-a-moneymaker
Cool that the solar industry has traction, but someone is going to chime in now complaining about rules and incentives, trying to steer us away from solar tech and make this into some kind of dog pit. 🐶 :dontknow: It's not that I want to be a bouncer, it's that I have to.

Latest on the cheapest solar cars I know of:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news...creen-in-latest-development-video/ar-AA15dOkW

For budget consious city folks:
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/12/09/squad-mobility-to-sell-new-solar-car-for-6250/

Last edited:
Back