Software to print paper tubes and transitions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini

Reaction score
I've been messing around with writing a little piece of software for laying out and printing paper conical transitions and tubes. I'm doing this for 2 reasons: 1) because I wanted such a thing, and 2) to brush up on my java skills. Something similar probably exists elsewhere, but if anyone wants access to this drop me an e-mail and I'll send you instructions for running it off the web. I'd post the instructions here, but I don't have them ready yet and don't expect a huge demand anyway. Screenshot is attached.

hey, pretty cool. I liked the picture you posted. must have been fun to program.

of course you know there are already perhaps a half dozen programs available for rocketeers which do these simple conical transitions. some better, some worse, none of them do it "all" the "right way".

what we rocketeers really need is a good open-source pattern development system. all the real pattern development software is expensive ($1000 or more) and narrowly focussed (just for shoes, just for certain types of dresses, just for HVAC ducting, etc.!).

none of the CAD systems seem to do pattern development. but it would be great if our hypothetical open-source system could use common CAD file formats ...

just a few ideas!

Thanks. I'm sure there are other programs out there that do the same thing. I found some of them, but probably not all. Mostly I did it to improve my java skills since java is becoming more important than other languages at work.

Took the time to write down instructions for accessing it. See attached.

What I'd love to see is a stand alone app that would print centering rings in both BT and user specified sizes, with one two or three motor mounts in standard motor mount sizes.
Print on paper, use spray adhesive to attach it to a piece of cardstock, basswood, or whatever, and cut it out.

I would love to see a program that can create a pattern of a full body tube decal. The user should be able to enter the length and diameter of the tube and the program would generate a blank .bmp in the correct size no matter what resolution the users screen or printer is at. The user could then just cut and paste art or draw their own into it and print it out on decal paper.
Just a thought.

Zippy

rbeckey - I like the body wrap idea! what program do you use to create the picture on the wrap? ... I guess it doesn't matter much. if all you are doing is wrapping standard body tube sizes then it would be easy to figure the rectangle's dimensions and create a .jpg of a thin rectangle... but to get technical about it, what matters is what resolution picture you are creating. that is, 72 dpi or 300 dpi or 1200 dpi or ???

hmmm, maybe better to do it this way: the program prints the length & width of the wrap, and your editing program "resizes" your picture to fit those numbers, then print and voila?

if you want to wrap an Acme Spitfire then that's another matter entirely!

just thinking out loud here ...

If it helps and anyone wants to try implementing some of these ideas I'd be happy to send you my code that you could use as a point of departure. Nothing magical about it....really just a mish-mash of tutorials from Sun's website. Only thing I'd ask is that you post any new software here so that I can use it too! :)

illini,

I at least was hopeing that you would do all the actuall work!

LOL! :) I may get to some of these ideas as time permits. Until then, anyone who wants to step up to the plate is welcome to the code.

illini,

I'd be interested in taking a look at your source code. I haven't done much JAVA programming, but I've been kicking around doing something similar in VB.NET. Some of the ideas posted in this thread would be great additions.

Thanks,

Originally posted by rkt2k1

I'd be interested in taking a look at your source code.

Sure thing! Just sent you an e-mail. Reply to that and I'll reply with the java source attached. Note that the files I'll be sending you are already slightly evolved beyond the basic application (I started adding code for doing centering rings).

I should point out, another 2 sources for common body-tube transitions are the Estes "Designer's Special" and the Apogee "Designers Resource Pack".

so if all you are doing is say a tailcone or BT50 to BT60 then just use the heavy cardstock ones.

where software really shines is when you need to make a special shape like a Delta II nose cone or payload section. ask me how I know :)

Originally posted by cls
I should point out, another 2 sources for common body-tube transitions are the Estes "Designer's Special" and the Apogee "Designers Resource Pack".

Yup. My personal interest includes that, but is more general. It also includes printing shrouds of various sizes for egglofters, paper (vellum) tubes, etc. I want to be able to choose my own paper or card stock based on weight, etc., print the pattern, cut it, and go.

Based on suggestions here, I've updated the RocketShapes software to allow you to select standard body tubes from a combo box. Also, I've begun laying out the code for doing centering rings. Hope to have this shortly. If you've previously accessed the software with Java Web Start you don't need to do anything...it will update automagically. Instructions for accessing were posted earlier. A screen shot of the update is attached.

As before, I'm happy to e-mail the source to anyone who requests it.

Back