Software L3 documentation question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, this isn't a question about what "has" to be in L3 documentation. The rules are out there for me to read.:grin:

Since I live in the boondocks and nobody in my town does what I do, I documented a couple of builds either one could be used for an L3 attempt. I nixed the 1st generation Dominator 4 since I set it up for magnetic switches and the tubes are a little short than the current offering. I put a coupler ring in to carry the ebay load and used Duralco 4525. I will eventually fly it when I outfit the ebay and mount the magnetic switches.

The 4" Extreme Wildman I built stock with a longer upper bay with Duralco 4525 (except the external fillets) and a switch band for lockswitches.

I did a bunch of pictures and videoed some assembly steps with yours truly and I'd like to put it all on DVD. I have access to MS
Office and Open Office. Ideally, I'd like to be able to merge the video in the document say with a frame and of course I'd have a caption and then a reader could click and have the video run from the DVD. Is that possible?

Any pointers to information, sites for references would be appreciated on how to pull this document off. I'm not an Office or video maven. Video-wise I can cut stuff out of clips with VLC but I did my clips keeping in mind I don't have the smarts to do complex editing. I do have the ability to convert from one video format to another. The current Media Player 12 I see doesn't do .avi files.

The thing about doing the documentation in this manner is I can easily mail the DVD to a potential TAP for perusal. Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile: Kurt

Kurt, I would be tempted to put the documentation into a PowerPoint, and the link the videos to the slides you want. Just make sure the videos are in the same folder as the presentation, and burn the entire folder.

I was thinking of just doing a thread here that I could as to as I finish up.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Whatever program you use be sure the person you send it to can open it.
I commonly get L3 packages with files I cannot open.

M

I'd upload the video to youtube, and make a build thread here, embedding the video into the posts. nice and easy, and widely available to any TAP without special software or having to mail anything.

Plus, you'll get tons of "helpful and unbiased" opinions from other forum members :)

No, this isn't a question about what "has" to be in L3 documentation. The rules are out there for me to read.:grin:

Since I live in the boondocks and nobody in my town does what I do, I documented a couple of builds either one could be used for an L3 attempt. I nixed the 1st generation Dominator 4 since I set it up for magnetic switches and the tubes are a little short than the current offering. I put a coupler ring in to carry the ebay load and used Duralco 4525. I will eventually fly it when I outfit the ebay and mount the magnetic switches.

The 4" Extreme Wildman I built stock with a longer upper bay with Duralco 4525 (except the external fillets) and a switch band for lockswitches.

I did a bunch of pictures and videoed some assembly steps with yours truly and I'd like to put it all on DVD. I have access to MS
Office and Open Office. Ideally, I'd like to be able to merge the video in the document say with a frame and of course I'd have a caption and then a reader could click and have the video run from the DVD. Is that possible?

Any pointers to information, sites for references would be appreciated on how to pull this document off. I'm not an Office or video maven. Video-wise I can cut stuff out of clips with VLC but I did my clips keeping in mind I don't have the smarts to do complex editing. I do have the ability to convert from one video format to another. The current Media Player 12 I see doesn't do .avi files.

The thing about doing the documentation in this manner is I can easily mail the DVD to a potential TAP for perusal. Thanks in advance for any advice. :smile: Kurt

You need DVD authoring software to make the DVD you are talking about. It will usually come with a retail DVD burning suite like Nero or what not. You would basically need to make a video of the whole thing as the authoring software will let you make a menu and pick what pre-made videos you want the menu to access. So you would need to take your images and screen shots and video and put it all together into a single or multiple videos. The authoring software will not allow you to "compile" the different assortments of media, that has to be done in a video editing software.

Back