Software as a Service

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, I happen to like Microsoft, I am not anti MS, nor am I anti Linux.
I am opinionated having worked in the industry on and off for forty years.
Netware anyone?
Back in 1992 I went around the Midwest replacing IBM S/36 with NetWare lans.

Unix,Linux,Mac, Windows I've used them all down through the years.

Dragged this out of the bat cave a couple months ago...Only maintenance was a new CMOS battery...
This BIOS was Y2K compliant...

Connected to network and on the Internet...Although basically useless as no modern browser works

With USB support that MS never had for NT. Thumb drive and mouse connected, running Winamp
View attachment 565068
Does it still whip the llamas ass?

Back in 1992 I went around the Midwest replacing IBM S/36 with NetWare lans.
Ahhh! You were undoing some of my work, and I applaud you for it.

Actually we were focused on Sys 36/PC for insurance agencies, doctors offices, etc.
Then moved on to AS/400 (smaller systems).

The last Netware I worked with was 2.11 IIRC. Connections were made with DB9 connectors with every node making a home-run to the server. Touchy and unstable in my opinion. 8088 DOS based clients didn't make things any better.
I know it got a lot better when they upgraded the architecture. By then we had moved onto Token Ring and ultimately 3Com Open and thin-net.

Ahh those were the good old days, Good Riddance!

In the beginning, I offered Business Process Reengineering services as a pre-requisite adjunct to the IT consult. Stopped doing that after I realized that Presidents and CEOs were almost ALWAYS lying when they said they were on board with the plan.
And some if not most of them were lying to themselves, not to you.

Connections were made with DB9 connectors...
Ahhh! A pro like you should know it's DE-9.
1677187908572.png
In one of my previous professional roles, that of wire harness engineer for satellites, I made frequent use of all of the standard- and high-density configurations, but never used the double density ones. There are both NASA and Mil Spec numbers for all of them.

Last edited:
And some of not most of them were lying to themselves, not to you.

Ahhh! A pro like you should know it's DE-9.
View attachment 565110
In one of my previous professional roles, that of wire harness engineer for satellites, I made frequent use of all of the standard- and high-density configurations, but never used the double density ones. There are both NASA and Mil Spec numbers for all of them.
That I have never heard...
Learned something new (old).
I know "D" is for the shell and the number is pins, what the heck does "E" indicate?
Don't get to confident that you taught this old dog any new tricks though, I'll probably forget by morning.

People talking about D-range connecors as DB-whatever is something I get a bit pedantic about too.
From Wikipedia: "Pedant: A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning".
Hmm, I guess I get that way sometimes too.

I'm just glad all the systems I assembled with DB-9 connectors worked! ;)

Pedant - not to be redundantly pedantant - I love tracking down "interrupts" 7 , crap now 10, oh the other doesnt matter................

From Wikipedia: "Pedant: A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism, accuracy and precision, or one who makes an ostentatious and arrogant show of learning".
Hmm, I guess I get that way sometimes too.

I'm just glad all the systems I assembled with DB-9 connectors worked! ;)
Found you a DB-9 (well. close enough anyway) :)
DB9.png

That I have never heard...
Learned something new (old).
I know "D" is for the shell and the number is pins, what the heck does "E" indicate?
Don't get to confident that you taught this old dog any new tricks though, I'll probably forget by morning.
D is the family, D subminiature connectors, because they're vaguely D shaped. A, B, C, D, E, and F are for the six different shell sizes.

So old school RS-232 connections were made over DB-25, as were the slimed down Centronics parallel printer ports. Slimmed down RS-232 is over DE-9, as were CGA and EGA video connections, but VGA needs more pins and used DE-15. One used to see DA-15 connectors for joy stick and MIDI ports. Those are the only D-sub types and sizes I've ever noticed on consumer products, except for non-standard sizes that Apple used to use for video and FDD interfaces on early (not original) Macs. But in some other industries they're all over the place.

A pro like you should know it's DE-9.
View attachment 565110
People talking about D-range connecors as DB-whatever is something I get a bit pedantic about too.
Found you a DB-9 (well. close enough anyway) :)
View attachment 565168

MY People! I have found my people. 😂

As a charter member of the "Power & Signaling Cabling Superfreak Guild", it has always been my contention that the fact I am a "bit pedantic" about cabling is the main reason that, and forgive my coarse language, "My **** always works; never breaks."

WARNING!!! OLD MAN STORY AHEAD!!! That was my unofficial guarantee "slogan". If I made you a cable, and it EVER failed, no matter what, I would make you a brand new one or refund your purchase 100% inflation adjusted.

To my knowledge, I was the first person to provide, commercially, round hard disk drive cables (IDE) and the first 100% accurately functional IDE cables over 5 feet long.

Last edited:
MY People! I have found my people. 😂

As a charter member of the "Power & Signaling Cabling Superfreak Guild", it has always been my contention that the fact I am a "bit pedantic" about cabling is the main reason that, and forgive my coarse language, "My **** always works; never breaks."
That sounds similar to my habit of explaining to new technicians why the "AA55" marching memory test was actually worth waiting on.
It did find faults that the faster tests would miss and reduce come-backs from the field.

So old school RS-232 connections were made over DB-25, as were the slimed down Centronics parallel printer ports.

IBM started the DB25 printer port thing with the original PC, Model 5150. before then, S100 era, we used double ended Centronics 37 pin cables.

Those are the only D-sub types and sizes I've ever noticed on consumer products,
SCSI used a huge variety of connectors, including various DB series, 25, 37, 50, and the Centronics 37 pin. So glad all that is gone these days!!

IBM started the DB25 printer port thing with the original PC, Model 5150. before then, S100 era, we used double ended Centronics 37 pin cables.
My point exactly. The signaling and protocol were defined by Centronics around the 36 (not 37) pin micro ribbon connector (which is now often mistakenly called a "Centronics connector") but it was slimmed down to a DB-25 by IBM.
SCSI used a huge variety of connectors
Oh, SCSI, right! I totally forgot SCSI! But...
including various DB series, 25, 37, 50, and the Centronics 37 pin.
ARGHH! D series, not DB series! :haironfire::facepalm: DB-25, DC-37, and DD-50. Also, it was originally Micro-ribbon 50. (I don't remember SCSI on Micro-ribbon 36, but I won't say no one ever did that.)

My point exactly. The signaling and protocol were defined by Centronics around the 36 (not 37) pin micro ribbon connector (which is now often mistakenly called a "Centronics connector") but it was slimmed down to a DB-25 by IBM.
Oh, SCSI, right! I totally forgot SCSI! But...
ARGHH! D series, not DB series! :haironfire::facepalm: DB-25, DC-37, and DD-50. Also, it was originally Micro-ribbon 50. (I don't remember SCSI on Micro-ribbon 36, but I won't say no one ever did that.)
I can't find it now but I'm pretty sure I have a EISA SCSI host adapter in the basement that uses a Micro 50 ribbon.
I think I have the adapter with a six connector ribbon wrapped around it in a shielded bag.
I might have sent that off to recycling now that I think of it. I've got way too much worthless stuff like that that at one point still had potential usefulness.
Talk about not being able to find drivers...

Both Apple and Sun used those for video to monitors. Maybe SGI too, I can't remember. I had an SGI Onyx, the MIPS R4000 was neato, but IRIX stunk and the machine ended up being a doorstop.

Back