SOAPBOX SPEECH!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichhcirm

Reaction score
Dear Internet,
Enough about the gorilla. All you who are screaming for someone to get arrested over this, it wasn't your child, wasn't your gorilla, wasn't your decision to make. We're all bummed about the gorilla, now let it rest.
Sincerely,
Bored Rocketeer on a Rainy Day

Limited Time only.....

13317081_10154118353555856_6528455502081769521_o.jpg

I'm no fan of Gorillas, Apes, or Monkeys, so I am glad there is one less in the world.:)

In 1986, my Mom took my brother and I to Kenya for a 17 day Safari, where I had a few unpleasant run-ins with Vervet Monkeys and a Baboon.

They should just be left alone, or wiped off the face of the planet.

Trying to interact with them is stupid.

Out of all this, the articles, the meme's, all the bickering.... When I made the above image, which is from a restaurant in the zoo.... my take away was this:

The Cincy Zoo serves BEER?!?!?!?!?!!? F yes!

Phew...that got dark fast :)

I was just thinking about the V-2 kit I ordered and pondering the moral implications of building a faithful replica of a war machine built by slaves and aimed at densely-populated cities. But then it shortened the war by diverting a huge amount of resources away from things that would have been more militarily effective.

And the money spent putting men on the moon would probably have gone into ICBMs, nukes, and other unhealthy competitions with the Soviets anyway.

And keeping huge, dangerous wild animals in close proximity to small children seems like a dangerous waste, but it probably keeps us from doing something even more dangerous and less cool. I mean, come on...gorillas! In your town!

I'm in a weird mood...maybe it's time for bed...

Out of all this, the articles, the meme's, all the bickering.... When I made the above image, which is from a restaurant in the zoo.... my take away was this:

The Cincy Zoo serves BEER?!?!?!?!?!!? F yes!

I was chaperoning a school field trip to Brookfield Zoo (Chicago suburbs) and had the same revelation: a great, big sign saying "Leinenkugel's" over a row of tappers!
Sadly, having a beer on a school field trip is sort of frowned upon...

I was chaperoning a school field trip to Brookfield Zoo (Chicago suburbs) and had the same revelation: a great, big sign saying "Leinenkugel's" over a row of tappers!
Sadly, having a beer on a school field trip is sort of frowned upon...

I'm betting the Disney style pricing would keep it from being an issue ;) The Buffalo Zoo doesn't serve typically (holds a wine event yearly), but it's a tiny tiny Zoo. I've noticed some of the larger Zoo's will have it.

I have torn feelings on Zoos. They're good in some ways.... but with the ease of information transfer and video, do we need Zoo's to expose kids to exotic animals? I don't know. There may be research and study going on, but in many cases it's not the main focus. And as well cared for as they may be, putting a roaming animal in any habitat is questionable. All that said, I love visiting them, and taking my kids there. (and they're excellent places to study photography)

We're all in a zoo.

....with all the accompanying smells...

Someone decided that our 40th Reunion should be with the lions at the zoo because that's what the school mascot is, a lion. The menu looked appetizing but I decided to skip it. The idea of eating with the Ordure D'Animal just didn't appeal to me... :p

if I were the type to point fingers...I would say that part of the blame has to rest on whatever allowed the child to enter the 'cage'.
Rex

I'm no fan of Gorillas, Apes, or Monkeys, so I am glad there is one less in the world.:)

In 1986, my Mom took my brother and I to Kenya for a 17 day Safari, where I had a few unpleasant run-ins with Vervet Monkeys and a Baboon.

NO! Not Sock Monkeys.....please....:surprised:
View attachment 292630
Who couldn't love a face like that. :sigh:

You know, we are actually apes too. Same family. Share nearly 99% of our DNA.
It isn't an "us and them" thing. Just "us" ;-)

Dave, I'm super surprised this is even an issue for you. For me, it's just background noise. These debates will go on with or without us, so the best thing is to just ignore it and live your life the way you like.

I think DNA was designed by Microsoft. There are small differences in the code, and the rest is the convoluted and resource- hoggish operating system that everyone shares. So you could be one buggy software upgrade away from being a gorilla

Is it bad that I had to look up what gorilla you were talking about?
But, cheers to gorilla burgers. Funniest thing I've seen on the internet today...

In my own opinion, the likelihood of convincing the Gorilla to willingly hand over it's new little friend to it's own captors, was most likely 'slim to none'.

Linked by a friend on Facebook:
"Remember when Jesus's mother lost him at the temple? And was already on her way back home before she realized it? The HOLY MOTHER of all people! How dare she?! She's lucky she didn't have Facebook"

Trying to interact with them, indeed stupid. To say they should be wiped off the planet is a bit barbarian. Gorillas play a valuable role in some ecosystems and foodchains. It was unfortunate the gorilla had to be shot.

I would post something but I don't want to deny others the ability to comment. Just remember....

GORILLA LIVES MATTER!

Back