So what other hobbies besides rocketry do folks here do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketMike

Reaction score
I'm really just getting back into rockets after a long time away. I started back last summer and got sidetracked but now I'm diving in full bore again. Kind of curious though how many other hobbies we all have in common. I also fly RC helicopters and planes, mostly just a heli though. I have a HO scale model train layout too and I'm a ham radio operator. The ham radio thing is sort of a legacy from my Dad as he was a ham operator.

I'm really just getting back into rockets after a long time away. I started back last summer and got sidetracked but now I'm diving in full bore again. Kind of curious though how many other hobbies we all have in common. I also fly RC helicopters and planes, mostly just a heli though. I have a HO scale model train layout too and I'm a ham radio operator. The ham radio thing is sort of a legacy from my Dad as he was a ham operator.

I use to have other hobbies, but...

Ok, Geocaching, Motorcycle Riding, Shooting (including re-loading).

Boating / Fishing,... Flying,... Skiing,... Travelling,... Motorcycles... SCUBA.

Last edited:
Music.....lead guitarist in church now.

Spent way tooooo many years playing semi pro. Played bikers bars, hooch joints, hole in the wall drug haven watering holes etc, etc, etc. Dont see any need to ever do that again. Played some nice places too

Played in a couple cool bands across the pond.

Last edited:
RC boats for me.

In fact I ran my Pro Boat Shockwave 26 brushless today. Thanks to the brushless motor system, it runs like a champ every time. Love it!!!

I also have a Traxxas Blast which I plan to install a brushless system in it at some point and an Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours airboat.

However, I really enjoy flying rockets and hope to be able to do so again soon but running these boats helps to fill in the void.:)

Last edited:
RC boats for me.

In fact I ran my Pro Boat Shockwave 26 brushless today. Thanks to the brushless motor system, it runs like a champ every time. Love it!!!

I also have a Traxxas Blast which I plan to install a brushless system in it at some point and an Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours airboat.

However, I really enjoy flying rockets and hope to be able to do so again soon but running these boats helps to fill in the void.:)

I've done boats before. I actually live on a lake but have not done anything with RC boats in quite awhile. I have too much money tied up in the planes and helis to get back into boats!

Skiing, triathlon, (yeah holy crap eh?), cycling, photography, watching my wife plant and care for her daylillies.

A teeny part of me wants to do RC planes/gliders/RCBG but I think that makes rocketry look cheap. I also want to re-acquire a car to take to a track (NHMS is small but it is fun), but again, with the hopelessly expensive hobbies. At least I don't want a boat....

For now I'll stick to what i have!

Current hobbies include rockets & beer. They don't mix well rest assured. There used to be this thing called $ex, but it's a passing memory these days.

I also brew beer, go target shooting (guns and archery), photography, play video games... I'm sure there are more things, but those are the ones at the top of the heap.

Hiking:
5471835153_cce405c49c.jpg
5401773995_ff9a6e994c.jpg
4722446277_a5f5c7c803.jpg

smoking:
9227011478_fd6f747665.jpg
8689758095_cf77cbe4c9.jpg

shooting:
8388126938_c4480146b0.jpg
6566323877_56b8c8dc90.jpg

photog: motorcycles:
3658218300_d5da2b32ee.jpg
4420599492_4df0549926.jpg
4797033653_7315cb8535.jpg
5885130653_dc425e98f3.jpg

3 babies:
7483427230_8057e7a008.jpg
9325544170_96e63962b5.jpg

Last edited:
Archery (though that can also be considered a sport) and composites (which is quickly becoming obsessive)

I am a bass fisherman, me and my friend sit down and read maps looking for places that are very out of the way and a PITA to get to so most people wouldn't think to fish there, we also fish in some illegal places but since we are both STRICTLY catch and release the police *usually* don't care. Living in Illinois many of our lakes and ponds are very overfished so that's why me and my friend do this, I guess this would also involve hiking. I also play paintball when I have the extra cash (makes rockets look cheap) I do MilSim (military simulation) mainly but a lot of other types too, my current paintball gun is a Mp5 look alike. I also do target shooting (but would love to go hunting but I live in chicago) but only have a high power air rifle at the moment, in around 5-6 months I'll be 18 and probably buy a real rifle.

I enjoy beer, travailing Colorado and hitting up as many brewing companies as my I can. There is such a extreme range of craft beers here in Co I have to try them all. Camping and hiking are also a pastime for me as well!

Building other miscellaneous scale models, currently for entering the the JCL (Junior Classical League-- yes, it's as nerdy as it sounds) scale models contest. I won states last year with this :)
Trireme full.jpg

Now I'm working on a 1/850th scale model of the ancient city of Pompeii, in its entirety.

Golf, skiing, golf, autocross, golf, surfing, golf, and scuba diving.

And did I mention golf?

Hmmm....

I might call mine sub-hobbies, in that they support the main hobby of rocketry.

They would be composites (airframe structures and fins), mold making (for whatever I need), pyro (for getting things started), amateur radio (for rocket locating), and most recently CNC milling (for rocket part fabrication). Someday I hope to venture into EX, but that may be a ways out.

Greg

Amateur astronomy; RC planes, helis and cars (want to get a sailboat too); model railroading; plastic modeling (1/35 armor and 1/48 scale panes); computer gaming; avid reading. The dogs and cats don't count since they're family, not hobbies. If I were to be honest I should probably add collecting spider webs and dust bunnies....:sigh:

Retired hobbies: competitive shooting (NRA High Power Service Rifle, Smallbore and High Power Rifle Silhouette, Smallbore and High Power Hunter's Pistol Silhouette); sport shooting and plinking (black powder and rimfires primarily); avid bass, bream, catfish and crappie fishing; avid deer hunting (rifle, pistol, muzzleloading and archery); motorcycling; hiking and camping. Would love to still be doing all of them but arthritis and a gimpy ticker won't allow even if the budget did, which it doesn't.

Last edited:
Wargaming, including miniatures, although it is hard to find anybody who plays those any more.

I do some writing. More in the past than now. I've had a half dozen or so things published in the role playing game industry. (D&D and the like.)

I've started dabbling in making little electronic projects.

Rocketry ,shooting ,gun collecting ,hunting ,hiking and trying to get lost ,getting in my canoe and just going somewhere ,flyfishing (love my wooly buggers) bird watching (pretty much all aspects ,belong to Cornell University and Bird Studies Canada ,Delta and Ducks Unlimited)

Gardening ,Entomology (Lepidoptera my favorite ,as well as collecting)

Furniture making ,my first love is Black Cherry ,but all forms of wood except Oak.....good only for caskets !

Working with metal ,in any form ,learning how to machine it.

1/48 scale plastic model aircraft.

Drawing.

My aquariums and my Koi pond.

Jazz and most music ,but never that new rap shi$......love the old stuff (3rd Bass ,when brothers had something smart to say)

My truck

Good wine and beer and friends.

Cheers

Paul t

Last edited:
Painting, Target shooting black powder as well as smokeless and reloading, Playing guitar, R.C helicopters, Grandkids, Fishing (drowning worms) and Collecting Hotwheels.

Former hobbies: Motorcycle touring, Gold prospecting (hint look at my handle), work and building and restoring high performance cars.

After being run down on my bike has made these former hobbies.

Last edited:
I have a motorcycle and am active in a local Motorcycle Club. We're a 3 piece patch MC.

I also have a sailboat out on Eagle Mountain Lake.....have a marina slip I keep it in.

Rocketry, Gardening and pond, Koi, RC fast electric boats, Sport Kites.

Wow, lots of hobbies. What I find interesting is that although I listed what are my main interest now, I'm seeing mention of things I've done or dabbled in other times in my life. I used to play guitar and at one time I've had both saltwater aquariums and an outdoor garden complete with a "lily pond". I also like to write , when I can find time, although I've never had anything published. There are also some other things I see mentioned that I may not have done but seem to be a common thread among others so some of us have more than just a love of model rocketry in common. BTW, I've always just been strictly low power rockets but the more and read and get myself re-immersed in the hobby, the more I think that I will be getting into higher power rockets as money permits. There is definitely at least an Estes pro series II rocket in my future and probably even more elaborate than that.

My wife recently mentioned I have a LOT of toys...

I asked if she'd rather I pursued my hobby from back when we met! :eek:

A friend and I compare piston counts (total number of pistons owned)... boats,... cars,... motorcycles,... airplanes,... lawn/garden equip. He tells his wife I'm ahead since my plane is a twin turboprop. I point out to my wife that Rob has a turbine powered motorcycle...

Back