So, what is the biggest thing holding you back from getting your Level One HPR Certification?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on going down to Pueblo this weekend to get my Level 1 Cert using my scratch built rocket. But I am afrd -- very, very afrd! :)

View attachment 560664

I wish you luck on your cert attempt. Just be aware that if ANY part of the rocket comes off in flight or upon landing its a failure. IMHO it's better to use a rocket that is as basic as possible for your cert flights, but I really do hope you are successful on your first attempt because it is a very cool looking rocket.

Also, check with the folks that will certify your attempt if they want to see you assemble the motor or not (unless you are using a single use motor). I almost failed my level 1 before even trying because I had put the motor together and the person certifying the flight wanted to watch to verify that it was put together correctly.

Yea, the 29/180 is similar build to the 29/40-120. The biggest difference on any of the reloads is which O-ring goes where.

I did get L1 last summer but wasn't in big priority due to only allowed to fly Class 1 rockets at local launch.
Now I'm driving 3 hours each way each month to MDRA to fly some HPR.
Thinking about getting L2 but this gets expensive and can not fly as Class 1 whereas my L1 cert rocket and other can fly on G's and under 1.5kgm.

This is the page with all the instruction sheets for motor assembly. I can never find it by looking for it so I have it saved as a favorite in my browser.

https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/page/instructions
All of the 29/180 motors assemble the same. Down load a set of instructions and review to your hearts content.

When I did mine, I was from out of town (traveling on business), didn't know anybody, just knew there was going to be a launch thanks the this forum. I had 2 rocket in the car. Was planning to fly MPR, but crashed one rocket on first flight and didn't have a G80 for the bigger rocket (Site motor vendor was delayed). I had an AT H238T for my cert. Told the parked guy next to me that I needed to do a cert. He introduced me to the folks in charge and arranged for me to have a witness.

This hobby is filled with friendly helpful folks. Go to a launch, tell them you want to fly a cert flight. Most likely they will help you (provided there is a qualified body present). Sending an email to the club before hand hedges your bet that a certifying body will be present. Download the certification form from the NAR or Tripoli website & bring it with you. Bringing donuts (or when ever the local morning indulgence might be) doesn't hurt either. (Not that I condone bribing of officials)

Just go do it & have a great flight!

I had an AT H238T for my cert. Told the parked guy next to me that I needed to do a cert. He introduced me to the folks in charge and arranged for me to have a witness.
Hmmm.... How did you get the H238T? I thought you had to have the L1 before you can buy it. That would simplify things tremendously for me if I could inspect the goods first.

Hans.

Not into big rockets. The sizes I build almost go out of sight on Estes E-12s and F-15s when launched under ideal conditions and can't be launched if it's cloudy or they get lost. The composites I want to try don't require L1. I 'd like to do it someday, but only for bragging rights.

Hmmm.... How did you get the H238T? I thought you had to have the L1 before you can buy it. That would simplify things tremendously for me if I could inspect the goods first.

Hans.

The rule is that you can buy one before you're certified - how else would you be able to attempt certification? 😄

Currently, my BMS 3" School Rocket isn't yet painted. I am also thinking of fiberglassing the fins (1.5oz cloth, very thin and light, I'm not overdoing it), also, I do not yet have anyone that can sponsor me at a launch, so I'll have to speak to some people once Metra in NY opens back up for launches in the spring. But I do believe I will have my L1 before 2023 is over. Without a doubt.

In the past is was mainly these:
  1. Age. No Junior NAR when I was a kid.
  2. Expense. Well beyond my budget to buy an H for certification.
  3. Skill. My Estes rockets were pretty sloppy for a long time (and sometimes they still are).
  4. Know-how. When I jumped on the forum I was considering it but the options I had in mind were more complicated than is wise.
Currently: My desire to have a really nice-looking rocket for the certification attempt. I’m making slow but steady progress, doing a bit of build or finish work a few times a week.

I think another good question, perhaps even for another thread, is why I decided I wanted to get it, and that’s very simple. Growing up I developed the habit of volunteering and helping at every large special event I went to. With so many safety-critical range roles requiring L2, I decided to start myself along the path once it was viable. It wasn’t for the fire and smoke, although I do anticipate that will be fun, it was for the community.

Most vendors will sell you a single motor for your certification.
OK, I found a "guy". We're meeting in an alley, I've got the Bitcoin, I think I can score an "H".

All tongue-in-cheek, but I found a cooperative vendor.

Realistically, I can't use the thing w/o a L1 or cert attempt. I mean, where would I take it, what LCO would approve? So I don't think a vendor is treading on thin ice to send it to me.

Hans.

I got my L1 through NARS about 20 years ago. Life events took me out of rocketry for a bit. Thankfully I'm back into the hobby and I'm working on getting a L1 through Tripoli. For me, I figured it's a good way to rehone my skills as I get back into the hobby. Plus it gives me a goal to accomplish.

I got my L1 through NARS about 20 years ago. Life events took me out of rocketry for a bit. Thankfully I'm back into the hobby and I'm working on getting a L1 through Tripoli. For me, I figured it's a good way to rehone my skills as I get back into the hobby. Plus it gives me a goal to accomplish.
Welcome back and welcome to Tripoli. NAR certification transfers to Tripoli if you’re a current member of both.

Welcome back and welcome to Tripoli. NAR certification transfers to Tripoli if you’re a current member of both.

Thanks! I am a member of both but it's more of a personal goal - kinda like a recertification of sorts. It was actually suggested by someone in NARs since it's been so long since I've flown high power. Well they suggested recertification, I've opted to do it through Tripoli this time. Plus it's cool pin!

It may be how it works, but some vendors seem to be reluctant to sell w/o the paperwork. My inquiries to several were met with crickets. I guess it's a CYA thing.

Hans.
I think most just require that you send a copy of your membership card and your certification attempt paperwork. They might take a while to process with that paperwork but it should go through.

You can also talk to an on-site vendor at any HPR launch where one is present. Big regional launch events can do two dozen certification attempts or more on busy days, no doubt at least some of them purchase directly from a vendor.

At ROC the only extra precaution taken by range personnel for cert flights is that the flight card is printed on red paper, but this is more so that the LCO can alert certification witnesses that their flight is about to take place. Most certification flights are safe and don’t warrant a bunch of hoopla.

Back