So, what is the biggest thing holding you back from getting your Level One HPR Certification?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confidence in your build(s). Picking/simming the right motor and recovery systems for safety. These were my two biggest hinderences for my L1. Learned an enormous amount of "model rocket science" in the process, which has given me confidence to begin experimenting with altimeter electronics and trackers to take on the next step. Oh...and time! :cool:

Lack of enthusiasm, $70.00 to Tripoli, $20.00 to local club, H87 Reload cost.
Such a load of crap having to re-certify for something you've already proven you can do. Do you have to take a driving test again if you haven't driven a car in 5 years?

Waiting to make the attempt with my own club at our launch site - rocket has been ready since last fall but I, short sightedly, skipped our fall launch to do a 25k trail race on what turned out to be a perfect day - cloudless sky with nearly zero wind...been waiting since for our first club launch but I might be done waiting since a different club has a launch this weekend and the weather looks perfect. Moral to the story? When the weather is right and there aren’t any family obligations launch rockets FIRST! Everything else can wait 😊

Such a load of crap having to re-certify for something you've already proven you can do. Do you have to take a driving test again if you haven't driven a car in 5 years?

Does Level 1 Certification expire?

1. I am having too much fun with low power.
2. I can drive to a park 7 minutes from my front door and launch, although I have to pick dates when the soccer teams are off.
3. Don’t need to mess with waivers
4. I can probably build and fly 10 scratch builds for the same amount of time and cost I would put into one level 1 High Power build, and if one of them meets an unfortunate end, it isn’t quite as disappointing as it might otherwise be.
5. Not that HPR REQUIRES epoxy and fiberglass, but seems like most end up using a lot of that. I am sure it is great stuff, but since I like to build while watching TV with my two blondes, smelly adhesives aren’t really an option.
6. I think Level 1 is kinda like potato chips, if you get level 1, you are likely to want level 2, then 3. Seems like the higher up you go, the more time and money spent building compared to actual FLYING.

God bless you HPR guys, and I read about the challenges of building things that can stand those levels of power, go that high, and require more technical know how for electronic recovery and tracking and all that. Just not my cup of tea.

although if I ever go for level 1, I may try to be the first to certify on an AirBrake recovery model. I don’t think anyone has done that before (now someone is likely to contradict me and re-affirm my ignorance of all things over 320 Newtons, 125 grams of propellant, and/or 1500 grams lift off weight!)

I feel pretty similarly to you on most of those points, except I just want to point out that doesn't have to be an exclusive OR, you can do both. I still fly more LPR than HPR, for those reasons you list.

1. I am having too much fun with low power.
2. I can drive to a park 7 minutes from my front door and launch, although I have to pick dates when the soccer teams are off.

Yup! Same here.

4. I can probably build and fly 10 scratch builds for the same amount of time and cost I would put into one level 1 High Power build, and if one of them meets an unfortunate end, it isn’t quite as disappointing as it might otherwise be.

Although there is more money tied up in HPR, it doesn't have to be more complicated. Most of my HPR are fairly vanilla 3FNC, and I've spent more time and effort in some of my LPR builds, than some of my HPR. (Boom XB-1 would be one example).

5. Not that HPR REQUIRES epoxy and fiberglass, but seems like most end up using a lot of that. I am sure it is great stuff, but since I like to build while watching TV with my two blondes, smelly adhesives aren’t really an option.

Definitely can do 100% wood glue, for a 3FNC rocket, the main difference is just that the tubes and fins are bigger. Kinda makes it easier, actually.

6. I think Level 1 is kinda like potato chips, if you get level 1, you are likely to want level 2, then 3. Seems like the higher up you go, the more time and money spent building compared to actual FLYING.

I thought that to, but honestly the opposite happened to me. I realized I was having a lot of fun with level 1 motors, and have no immediate interest in upgrading to level 2. I probably will upgrade eventually, but level 1 opened up a whole bunch of options and fun things to do.

although if I ever go for level 1, I may try to be the first to certify on an AirBrake recovery model. I don’t think anyone has done that before (now someone is likely to contradict me and re-affirm my ignorance of all things over 320 Newtons, 125 grams of propellant, and/or 1500 grams lift off weight!)

That'd be great to see!

There is no excuse. Just because I have my L1 doesn't mean high power is all I fly.
I'm actually thinking Level 2 now , just for the fun of it.

Mike

Nothing was stopping me. Just the covid wait. Then it was over and I launched. Zephyr was only 100 bucks. Flight motor 40. 120 in gas for my motor home and round trip to the playa. 100 bucks for food, supplies for the over night camping. 60 a year to NAR. Well worth it. 60 a year to ROC. Worth it again. I have never had so much help and guidance. Slowly working on level 2. It's fun and gives you something to do.

I too fly low power, mid power, and love them all small or large. Anything that has to do with rockets and space exploration is one of the many things I live for!

Not everyone is the same. Thank the stars for that! Just enjoy the hobby and have joy!

IMG-9713copy.jpg

I'll chime in here. Personally, it's too much of a challenge for me at the moment to coordinate everything so that I can make it out to a launch at a field where I'd feel comfortable flying such a large rocket. Club launches are few and far between, the weather has to cooperate, and my schedule has to be free (which is a challenge these days with family plans and other hobbies). It's much easier to be able to head out to a local park/school and launch LPR for an hour or two and be back home, versus spending hours driving and an entire day spent on rocketry (which I'm fine with, but my wife not so much).

That being said, I did cave and finally purchased a Zephyr when they came back in stock. I'll leisurely build it it while gaining more experience with my new MPR fleet, and one day the planets will align and I'll be able to attempt my Level 1. :)

1. Only new members pay $70. Renewing senior membership costs $60.
2. Yup, some states (at least two that I have personally experienced) require a person to take the entire drivers and written test if a person allows their drivers license to expire.
3. I’m always amazed that people complain about recertifying level 1, which simply consists of flying a level 1 rocket safely. Isn’t that why a person gets certified in the first place?

I'll chime in here. Personally, it's too much of a challenge for me at the moment to coordinate everything so that I can make it out to a launch at a field where I'd feel comfortable flying such a large rocket. Club launches are few and far between, the weather has to cooperate, and my schedule has to be free (which is a challenge these days with family plans and other hobbies). It's much easier to be able to head out to a local park/school and launch LPR for an hour or two and be back home, versus spending hours driving and an entire day spent on rocketry (which I'm fine with, but my wife not so much).

That being said, I did cave and finally purchased a Zephyr when they came back in stock. I'll leisurely build it it while gaining more experience with my new MPR fleet, and one day the planets will align and I'll be able to attempt my Level 1. :)
You sound like my brother from another mother... My wife can't figure what the fascination is, either. But someday...!

Back