So, Mr. Flis...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Does your NARCON banner indicate that you might be soon releasing something Goddardesque?

Godard-esque? I'm "breathless" with anticipation, knowing that it will be more than vaguely novel... ;) :D

MarkII

Cat's outta the bag... :)

Actually never *in* the bag, but still LOL

Yes we are planning on two commemorative Goddard releases at NARCON.

They are Goddard's first liquid fueled rocket, Nell (see attached image) as well as Goddard's L13 rocket (see attached image)

I just finished the 2nd proto type of Nell this weekend, taking pictures of the build so that I can create the figures for the instructions.

Photos:
  • Me posing next to Nell in her launch pad (photo by Tony Vincent)
  • Nell takes to the air (photo by Tony Vincent)
  • L13 sitting on the pad waiting for launch

I hope to have more details about these two new kits later in the month. Stay tuned! :)

jim

Jim_Goddard_rocket.jpg

Goddard_rocket_lo2.jpg

DSC04376crop.jpg

And to think, I was just hoping to spur an idea...

I'm looking forward to it.

I'll start laying the groundwork with Gracie now.

Cat's outta the bag... :)

Actually never *in* the bag, but still LOL

Yes we are planning on two commemorative Goddard releases at NARCON.

They are Goddard's first liquid fueled rocket, Nell (see attached image) as well as Goddard's L13 rocket (see attached image)

I just finished the 2nd proto type of Nell this weekend, taking pictures of the build so that I can create the figures for the instructions.

Photos:
  • Me posing next to Nell in her launch pad (photo by Tony Vincent)
  • Nell takes to the air (photo by Tony Vincent)
  • L13 sitting on the pad waiting for launch

I hope to have more details about these two new kits later in the month. Stay tuned! :)

jim

OK, Jim, I keep thinking that at some point you have to run out of great ideas but you keep proving me wrong.

Tremendous ideas for kits.

Can't wait for you to release them.

OK, Jim, I keep thinking that at some point you have to run out of great ideas but you keep proving me wrong.

Tremendous ideas for kits.

Can't wait for you to release them.

Oh man... if you could only see my notebook... :D :D :D

wow, thats much larger than I anticipated .

must...have....one...

Jim,

I going to assume that Nell will have some sort of aerodynamic stability? Is the final rocket going to have the alcohol burner at the bottom or just the straight tube?

In any case, fun design. I've been kicking around the idea of building one for years. Maybe I'll finally do it.

Last edited:
INteresting question. I will have to give this some thought. I am working on the documentation set for Nell this week...

Thanks for your consideration! Otherwise my only Goddard tribute option is to go with the "Roswell flying saucer crash" theme... :cyclops:

Jim,

I going to assume that Nell will have some sort of aerodynamic stability? Is the final rocket going to have the alcohol burner at the bottom or just the straight tube?

In any case, fun design. I've been kicking around the idea of building one for years. Maybe I'll finally do it.

The stability and launch profile will be identical to the original. The motor is in the top section, just as in the original. The fuel/o2 tubes and lower tanks are all there but are dummies and are effectively dragged along for the ride :)

The thing is stabilized in the manner of a bottle rocket really...

Nice thing is, this model flies far better than the original liquid fueled beast. That's mainly because the overall structure is much more ridged than the original.

The kit will be supplied with launch lugs however we will also provide downloadable plans to construct a Goddard type launch pad if you want the full effect (it's what I use to fly mine :) )

jim

The kit will be supplied with launch lugs however we will also provide downloadable plans to construct a Goddard type launch pad if you want the full effect (it's what I use to fly mine :) )

jim
Probably the most unique model rocket kit ever produced! I never would have thought that anyone could produce a model of the 1924 rocket that would actually be stable in flight. That is just awetastic! ;) Between the famous photograph of Robert Goddard's rocket and in the one of your model of it, I have never been quite sure where the rocket ends and the launch stand begins, though. :roll:

But two questions - how does one sim this in RockSim? :confused:

And are you thinking what I am thinking ? ....

.... MTTM version! :D

MarkII

If a love of model rocketry is a disease, then I don't want a cure... ;)

MarkII

Oh I can agree with that part. Its the fevered mind that could conceive of an MMX version of the Goddard rocket that has me calling for the guys with the white coats.

There, there, Mark. Everything will be alright. Nurse Rachet will be along in just a bit to make you all comfy...

Oh I can agree with that part. Its the fevered mind that could conceive of an MMX version of the Goddard rocket that has me calling for the guys with the white coats.

There, there, Mark. Everything will be alright. Nurse Rachet will be along in just a bit to make you all comfy...
Don't bother sending me to the shock ward - it won't have any effect. I'll probably just overload and fry their equipment. :p

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=74178&postcount=5
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=74373&postcount=20

MarkII

So Jim, these ARE NOT part of your Nouvelle Vague? :confused:

I thought about it all last weekend, even though it left me out of breath. Oh well, I have my life to live. I don't care if people once called me Crazy Pete and used to show contempt for the band of outsiders that I belonged to. A new kit is a new kit. Among the 2 or 3 things I know about your kits, one is that they are all made in the USA. :cool:

MarkII :pop:

Probably the most unique model rocket kit ever produced! I never would have thought that anyone could produce a model of the 1924 rocket that would actually be stable in flight. That is just awetastic! ;) Between the famous photograph of Robert Goddard's rocket and in the one of your model of it, I have never been quite sure where the rocket ends and the launch stand begins, though. :roll:

But two questions - how does one sim this in RockSim? :confused:

And are you thinking what I am thinking ? ....

.... MTTM version! :D

MarkII

These pix should help.

First is of the rocket by itself, next the launcher, next both combined.

The stability is actually fine. Goddard had two problems with his (besides engine power). The fuel and O2 tubes were thin and very flexible. The kit is very ridgid. The other problem was a fundamental error made by Goddard - That for stability your "Center of Thrust" (CT) must be ahead of the "Center of Gravity" (CG). It wasn't until much later that he realized that there really isn't any such thing as CT and that he needs to understand the "Center of Pressure" (CP).

The design is stable because the CP is below the CG *and* the model is ridge (meaning that the CP doesn't move (much)). While not an altitude performer, it certainly does look cool in flight! :)

I am rather excited at the response that this kit offering is generating. The historical significance of this off the meter and folks are very excited about it (even non-rocketry folks).

As for how you sim this in RockSim? You don't. :)

As for an MTTM version...

...already being looked into... :D :D (my bad... LOL)

jim

DSC04342.JPG

DSC04361.JPG

DSC04363.JPG

Last edited:
Way too cool Jim!

But, sheesh, you think Dr. Goddard would've been smart enough to figure out that a launch rod would've been a much easier setup, as well as more transportable. :rolleyes:

Boy, that sure sounded like a challenge... ;)

Note, this is based on full scale numbers from RoTW and uses a 29mm
MMT. It also doesn't include all the internal parts and curved tubes;
I simply wanted to demonstrate the technique.

Enjoy!

LOL I figured someone would jump on this, just didn't think it would be so quick!

Yes, that clears it up for me. Thanks, Jim! But let me get this straight now: in Nell, the motor mount is in the upper structure, just as in the original? Also, what scale is she in?

I do hope that you also release a micro version of it - it will save me the trouble of doing all the research required for downscaling it myself! :D (And then I might actually be able to get one built in under 4 years... :rolleyes: )

The release of Nell and the L13 scale rocket (which we haven't even started talking about yet) may very well be enough to entice me into attending NARCON 2010 after all.

MarkII

The L13 looks a lot like the A5, which we built a slightly larger than full-scale version of.

Good work, Jim, I like it!

-Kevin

Stupid me - I've been referring to Nell as "the 1924 rocket." Nell's flight took place on 3/16/1926, of course.

I hope that after I fly my FlisKits Nell a few times, I don't get an order from the local fire marshal to cease all launches. (It certainly would add to the historical reenactment, though.) Maybe I'll need to start scoping out property in the NM desert.

Someday I want to build a scale version of the hula-dancing L-16. :D

MarkII

Back