So, Mr. Flis...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that clears it up for me. Thanks, Jim! But let me get this straight now: in Nell, the motor mount is in the upper structure, just as in the original? Also, what scale is she in?

I do hope that you also release a micro version of it - it will save me the trouble of doing all the research required for downscaling it myself! :D (And then I might actually be able to get one built in under 4 years... :rolleyes: )

The release of Nell and the L13 scale rocket (which we haven't even started talking about yet) may very well be enough to entice me into attending NARCON 2010 after all.

MarkII

Correct, the motor and recovery (parachute) are at the top. In this model version, frankly everything below the motor is just decoration (well, and stabilizer...)

Hope to see you at NARCON. It is going to be a good one! I just have to make sure that *i'm* ready LOL

jim

Nell documentation is going well. I finished the first pass of the instruction and will be working on the pattern sheets and kit cover art this week. I begin the L13 documentation this weekend :)

Here are a couple of the instruction figures and another pix.

figure21.gif

figure49.gif

DSC06195sm2.jpg

Looking good, Jim! Is it possible to build Nell so that she disassembles for easy transport?
Best wishes,
Will

Not really. One of the problems with this design (as a model rocket kit) is that the connecting tubes make this a fairly fragile assembly. To stiffen it up I use a core of wood dowel throughout and recommend using epoxy in the small tube assembly and attachment. this is the only way to make it rigid enough to survive transport and flight stresses. That also results in a model that does not come apart... I imagine any method to make it so that you could take it apart would also weaken the entire assembly...

But two questions - how does one sim this in RockSim? :confused:

And are you thinking what I am thinking ? ....

Here it is in OpenRocket ...

(yes... I know the simulation of the flight wouldn't be right, but it still looks cool.)

-Kerry

nell_openrocket3.jpg

nell_openrocket4.jpg

nell_openrocket.jpg

Well, everything (custom parts) are on order, some are in and the rest are expected to be in next week.

Kit documentation is done and has been processed (see attached image), so we're that much closer.

Hope to kit them up next weekend! :)

DSC06320.JPG

"Glue the cone to the top of the BT-70..." Oh, so Nell is a big girl, then?

MarkII

Well, everything (custom parts) are on order, some are in and the rest are expected to be in next week.

Kit documentation is done and has been processed (see attached image), so we're that much closer.

Hope to kit them up next weekend! :)

How about a MMX version of these :)

Sounds like a good deal to me. I will keep a look out for them

I could easily see a micro version of Nell at some point down the road. But let's all give Jim some breathing room so that he can get the full-sized version out first! Forgive me if you already mentioned this, Jim, but I gather that the FlisKits Nell will be 1:1 scale, then?

MarkII

I could easily see a micro version of Nell at some point down the road. But let's all give Jim some breathing room so that he can get the full-sized version out first! Forgive me if you already mentioned this, Jim, but I gather that the FlisKits Nell will be 1:1 scale, then?

MarkII

Mark, No, not 1:1 rather it is about 1:2.5 or about 40% as big as the original.

She stands 50.49" when assembled.

jim

How about a MMX version of these :)

oh man... Having an activity get canceled (due to power outages, school was closed on Monday so I had no classes) gives me "free time"...

Me and "free time" can be a dangerous mix....

DSC06331.JPG

oh man... Having an activity get canceled (due to power outages, school was closed on Monday so I had no classes) gives me "free time"...

Looks sweet if you had another set of parts setting around i would be happy to help ya with some testing :D

Looks sweet if you had another set of parts setting around i would be happy to help ya with some testing :D

No there yet... :) The proto is flight-worthy but I've already made dozens of changes and, depending on its flight, it may actually get a tad larger...

None the less, I look forward to ordering one of these as soon as the come out

You are more productive when you are just frittering away your free time than I am when I am working full-tilt! :eyepop:

MarkII

Back