So many non-posting members....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
As of 2/13/04, there are 312 members of TRF who have not posted yet... Thats nearly a third of our members! There are 307 with 10 or more posts, 160 with 50 or more posts, 111 with 100 or more posts, 22 with 700 or more posts, 15 with 1000 or more posts, 5 with 2000 or more posts, and, in a day or two, 1 with 3000 or more posts! Yes, Jim Flis is about to hit the 3000 posts mark! Congrats, jim! So, get postin! 3 more and yer there!

I find it rather agravating that 1/3 of our members have joined, and then not posted. Maybe all 312 JUST JOINED, and are going to post in few minutes! well, probly not.

Sorry... I was just really bored, so I went through the members lists, and started collecting data.....

Actually, it's an interesting post...

I would venture to say that (like me in many other forums), many of these folks *joined* simply because it was there and there was an interest but then completely forgot about TRF and what it could do, *BE* for them.

Maybe a thought would be for one of the admins to send an email to them (assuming they included an email in their registration) as a friendly reminder that TRF is still here and we'd love to have them participate.

just a thought...

jim

I really don't mind if a jillion folks want to join without posting. I think it is just as cool for them to 'hang out' and read stuff, even if we NEVER hear from them. After all, this isn't some kind of secret club we're running here, is it? (nO gurlz allloud!!?)

I only hope that they are not intimidated or afraid to place a post. I would hate to think that anyone is scared of this bunch, or at least scared of me (old farts can indeed be pretty scary). Hopefully they are all aware that they are welcome at any time, early or late.

Hey! Thats 3K posts! Wow! So, what is the fun you planned to have for this????????

Well, no one can tell yer an "old fart" unless they ask you. No problem there;)

I joined on 3/8/03 and have a whole 34 posts, but.........
<P>
I'll bet no more than two days have passed since then when I have not checked in and read this forum.
<P>
For me,I'm not a big poster but really enjoy reading everyone elses and it has taught me alot!

I joined a while ago (stumbled upon the forum somehow) and then promptly forgot about it. So even though my posts per day is low I have only really been posting on a regular basis for the past several months.

It is a great place to "listen and learn" as well as contribute...

I joined back in November 2002, and then promptly forgot about this place.

It was when I ordered my Deuce, back in April last year, that Jim said this in his e-mail:
To discover more information and customer reaction to the Deuce's Wild!kit, I would recommend that you check out "The Rocketry Forum" at: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ Just do a search for Deuce and you will see all of the discussion and photographs about that model.
I've not looked back since then - thanks Jim! :D

But this does go to show that a few 'pointers' in an e-mail can produce more active members.

I'm sure there was a bunch that signed up early on before it really got going, and then abandoned it without giving it a chance to take off.

There were probably a few that came here and were not able to make anybody mad, so they sulled up and went back to r.m.r.

There are probably several like me who read daily, but seldom post, so I thought I'd better put something in this thread. ;)

tim

I registered late 2003 which was during the school holidays. During that time I was on the forum freguently...

Now i am back at school (and it is my last year.....) i am flat out!!

At the MOST i can get on about once a week.

I would very much like to come on more often if time would permit. But as it turns out it won't.....:(

So anyway thats my excuse.

P.S: Navajo and I are just about to join the only rocket club in Victoria!!! :D

After I read this thread I looked up my profile for my stats. I have 51 posts since November of last year. This is absolutely amazing to me. It is probably more posts than I have made all the other forums, newsgroups ect. combined in many years of internet access. I just don't have that much to say. However there is something about this group that has cured my lurking. There is none of the chest pounding, back biting, name calling that is so prevalent online. There is a sense of open mindedness and inclusion here that is infectious and very, very welcome. It has succeeded in getting an old curmudgeon like me to get involved. OK! Enough schmaltz.
Bob

I learned about the fourm from an insert that came with my order from Magnum Hobbies. That was in August 2002. Now with 1,830 posts, and 7th place on the Top 10 Poster list... I guess that means I like this place :D

I joined at Dougs urging, and I didnt post for about 3 months. Then I posted once. Then twice. Then before I knew it I was at 100. Then 200. Then 500. Then 700. and now, this is my 722d. Pretty soon Ill hit 1K. Time flys when yer having fun!

Originally posted by Neil
I joined at Dougs urging...

If I only knew what that would mean.... we all make mistakes :D

Did I say that?! :confused: Looks like its time for me to RUN and find some COVER :D

Of course I am picking on my buddy ;).... I guess I should pick on someone my own age...

at first when i found out about this forum i started to come and read in my free time... that was a few months ago. i just joined recently, tho, and have been posting some, been checking in on what’s going on a few times a day tho! currently, this is the only forum i'm a member of... who needs anywhere else???:D:D

As one of the fairly quiet lurkers, I've only posted a few times - only when I felt I truly had something to add to a particular discussion. However, I check TRF nearly every day. As a BAR, it provides a bit of nostalgia, good designing info, and great building info.

I s'pose I'm more of an introvert, not to mention extremely busy starting a new construction and development business. I like to briefly read what's here and I post only when I feel I can add something to a particular subject. Between this forum and oldrockets on yahoo, I indulge myself a bit in the evening & on weekends. You can bet I'll add more as time goes on.

I am very grateful for the various folks & businesses who take the time and effort to pass their knowledge and experience on. Things have certainly changed since I was big into rocketry in the early to mid 70s...

Jack

Well, in at least one case...
a friend of mine joined a couple of weeks ago but for some reason the system still won't let him post. every time he tries he gets rejected. i think it's begining to hurt his feelings. that might be hapening to some others. there are lots of quirks in this system. just like rocketry... it works fine and then it doesn't.:D
but even if someone doesn't want to speak up, they can have fun listening and learning!

IMHO 'the more the merrier' only goes so far. If all 1000 members posted like Jim I wouldn't have the time to even read the 'new posts' listing, much less the posts themselves. But then I would post like Jim, nor would many others. Hmmm...

I learned by recieving a TRF business card from either Jflis or CT (probably Jim) at NARAM.

Pick on someone yer own size, meanie!:p

You wanna go???? well, maybe Ill rethink that..... :eek:

Originally posted by Adam Selene
Well, in at least one case...
a friend of mine joined a couple of weeks ago but for some reason the system still won't let him post. every time he tries he gets rejected. i think it's begining to hurt his feelings. that might be hapening to some others. there are lots of quirks in this system. just like rocketry... it works fine and then it doesn't.:D
but even if someone doesn't want to speak up, they can have fun listening and learning!
This usually points to a cookie problem. If you don't browse with cookies then the site goes beserk. I'm hoping they get that working in 3.0 which BTW is in Release Candidate 3.

As a developer I usually develop web sites just assuming a user's cookies will be on. Most browsers come with cookies turned on and most people haven't a clue how to turn them off. But there are those few that don't like them and they turn them off or they run some overly obsessive security program that turns these little very useful things off. :D

Wow...interesting to go back and look at my <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721">first introduction</a> post. It also reminded me that I have to get my <a href="https://home1.gte.net/res0xphr/index.htm">Aerial Photography</a> website back online. Hmm...it's been long enough since I've lost some camera pods. Maybe it's time to get back into aerial photography.

As for those sitting back lurking, no worries!!! At least if you're reading you're participating! Whenever you'd like to pop in just to say hello, feel free!

I LOVE THIS PLACE! Post #1403

HJi Neil
You got a puppy AND an airgun and you are BORED dont believe it
:confused:

David

Originally posted by Milo
This usually points to a cookie problem. If you don't browse with cookies then the site goes beserk. I'm hoping they get that working in 3.0 which BTW is in Release Candidate 3.

As a developer I usually develop web sites just assuming a user's cookies will be on. Most browsers come with cookies turned on and most people haven't a clue how to turn them off. But there are those few that don't like them and they turn them off or they run some overly obsessive security program that turns these little very useful things off. :D

IMHO, assuming cookies are on is just bad programing. they can make a site work better but they have their drawbacks too. you should at the very least test to see if they are on and inform they user that the site might work better if turned on. but it's best just to make the site work without them!

i know my friend did manage to post the other night, i'll have to ask him if he turned on cookies.

Well in defense of the vBulletin programmers they do have code in there to make the site work when cookies are turned off. The code however is very lacking in quality assurance. That is why I say I hope it is better in the 3.0 release.

This cookie problem is the #1 support issue of TRF.

Originally posted by Neil
Pick on someone yer own size, meanie!:p

You wanna go???? well, maybe Ill rethink that..... :eek:

hahaha Neil, Doug is like 4 of you

Originally posted by jflis
Maybe a thought would be for one of the admins to send an email to them (assuming they included an email in their registration) as a friendly reminder that TRF is still here and we'd love to have them participate.

just a thought...

I second this thought! It would be good for this forum, IMHO!

Jason

Originally posted by eugenefl
Wow...interesting to go back and look at my <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=721">first introduction</a> post.

I just got around to looking at your first post and your rocket photos. That's a great Hawk. What is it, a kit, S/B? What were you flying it on?
I think I need one!:cool:
Bob

Back