So let's say you, um, hypothetically got your rocket tangled in a 350,000 volt transmission line 94 feet high...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately you're the rocket is only across one phase (not +/-) so unless it finds an electrical path to ground or a different phase the stuff you're worried about might be ok. It might take a while to come down by itself though :)

This doesn't sound good. Shock cord burned through but still wrapped around wires. I don't know how at least the booster didn't fall.

Thanks to Tom at Spaceport Rocketry Association for keeping up with the situation.

Seems like the power company could use a drone to cut things like kites, balloons, or rockets out of power lines. So long as it is able to fly around that much voltage and maintain control. I saw an old experiment from Jamie Hyneman to trim trees... That didn't work so well, but something like strings or nylon webbing wouldn't put up the resistance that wood would. He's since modified it (eliminating the circular saw) and got *SOME* positive results (and a broken drone).

Now, if it is something that works, I wonder if they're hiring drone operators to supplement their linemen?

Last edited:
It would take me two seconds, less, to write off the that rocket. No freaking way I'd ask the power company for help (unless you have deep pockets)

It would take me two seconds, less, to write off the that rocket. No freaking way I'd ask the power company for help (unless you have deep pockets)
Then you shouldn’t be flying rockets. Painful as it might be we all have to be responsible enough to do the right thing or our actions reflect poorly on all of us.

If your rocket broke a windshield or harmed a person would you run and hide or would you do the right thing? You would step up, wouldn’t you? This is no different. The utility company I worked for would never charge to recover a rocket like this especially if it was reported quickly by the responsible party. It potentially saves them a lot of money in patrolling lines and reduces the possibility of someone attempting to recover it their self and possibly being badly injured or killed. Negligent or intentional acts of course may result in a utility company billing someone and I cannot claim that all companies do it like ours did.
Tripoli and NAR both have insurance to help their members when something happens. We want our members to be responsible.

If your rocket broke a windshield or harmed a person would you run and hide or would you do the right thing? You would step up, wouldn’t you? This is no different. The utility company I worked for would never charge to recover a rocket like this especially if it was reported quickly by the responsible party. It potentially saves them a lot of money in patrolling lines and reduces the possibility of someone attempting to recover it their self and possibly being badly injured or killed. Negligent or intentional acts of course may result in a utility company billing someone and I cannot claim that all companies do it like ours did.
Tripoli and NAR both have insurance to help their members when something happens. We want our members to be responsible.
God forbid that would ever happen to anyone of us but even if you(anyone in general) don’t come forward and confess. Is there anyway to trace the rocket motor to the vender it was purchased from? I think there are cereal numbers on the motors.

Gary put his on the line a few years ago, his electronics were still in working order he he got it back.
LOL. Every time one of these guys gets me feeling dejected, you come back and make me feel all warm and fuzzy!
I’m curious so, I heard those used to be your standard distribution lines. Did Gary get his caught in these big transmission lines?

LOL. Every time one of these guys gets me feeling dejected, you come back and make me feel all warm and fuzzy!
I’m curious so, I heard those used to be your standard distribution lines. Did Gary get his caught in these big transmission lines?
Yes. Same lines. There’s been a handful of people getting hooked on those lines over the years. I guess we were due since it’s been at least two years since the last.

Any update on recovery? And/or condition?
I called FPL yesterday and today. They can't seem to give me any updates. The lines of communication from field crews to customer service are dodgy. The club secratary Tom was going to check on it today, but I haven't heard anything. The rain has held off, but the winds have been strong.

I'm going up there tomorrow to see if it's still on the line. The shock cord burned through at some point, maybe it's burned through enough to drop it.

You'd think having an obstruction on a major distribution line - which is almost certainly causing a line fault - would be a priority. And who knows, they may have gotten it down earlier this week and I just haven't gotten the message.

One of my favorite videos now, thanks for posting this up for us.
That pilot is such a coolie badass.
"Uh oh, he just crashed the b*&$h. Right in the trees. And it's stuck up 'ere" (puts cigarette in mouth) "Let me see the helicopter a second."
Might be the coolest dude in America.

Back