So LDRS 40 is where...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hope to see you all at Brothers next year!

Brothers GPS Location: Lat 43.8231 degrees, Lon 120.638 degrees

A little addition to Fred Azinger's excellent advice:

I second Fred in recommending an RF tracker. I've used one for years after my first flight there when I walked in circles for nearly an hour before finding my big rocket. Even with big rockets, the sage can obscure them. Radio trackers work wonderfully, though.

If you bring a pop up tent/awning, bring several stakes and plenty of rope to tie it down. In the afternoons, the wind gusts tend to pick up and could blow over an unsecured pop up.

Bring plenty of baby wipes to save your water, lip balm, chairs, sunglasses, insect repellent, binoculars, a fire extinguisher and face masks, depending on whether the governor has the mask requirements still in place. Some folks bring portable grills or gas burners to cook. A solar panel or two to recharge your electronics is nice because we usually have plenty of sunlight. Bring large coolers and plenty of drinkable water. Bend is a fairly large city with several supermarkets, so you should be able to find all of your supplies there.

As for "One Tree Hill", there are actually three trees up there. I know, unfortunately, because I had to climb to the top of it to track down a rocket. Fortunately, there is an access road that crosses at the foot of the hill.

There are a number of hotel/motel rooms in Brothers/Redmond but I would book early because there are other events in the area that will draw other travelers to both cities. Brothers and Redmond also have a lot of AirBNBs and VRBOs. Again, book early.

Redmond actually has a small jet airport (RDM) with connecting flights to/from several California airports, Salt Lake City, Denver, Seattle and Phoenix. Finally, there are at least three RV rental places in Bend and at least three in Portland. Again, I recommend reserving early.

Jack

Last edited:
Since my trip to this years LDRS was canceled at the last minute I was afraid it would be a while before another one was close. Brothers is 12 hours from me. So an overnight in Reno and then 6 hours to Brothers. The good thing is that it's 3 hours from Eugene. I have a lot of friends there. Maybe I can convince some of them to come and watch the rockets. So after LDRS we'll go to Eugene for a few days.

Is there a motor limitation? California limits motors to M, and Oregon is close enough to California that they may have followed suit.

Whats the RV/Camping situation going to be? I know its dry camping but how many RV spots are going to be available and or are RV spots going to be available nearby since the launch site is pretty remote.

Usually no impulse limit.
However due to the expected camping density, there will be an N impulse limit for LDRS.

Whats the RV/Camping situation going to be? I know its dry camping but how many RV spots are going to be available and or are RV spots going to be available nearby since the launch site is pretty remote.

The club is planning parking spaces for 250 vehicles. This number may change as plans are formed up. The plan is to mark parking areas for RVs.
The site is actually not that remote. It is a 40 minute drive from Bend, Oregon. Many of our flyers stay at hotels or AirBNBs in Bend during our launches.

The club is planning parking spaces for 250 vehicles. This number may change as plans are formed up. The plan is to mark parking areas for RVs.
The site is actually not that remote. It is a 40 minute drive from Bend, Oregon. Many of our flyers stay at hotels or AirBNBs in Bend during our launches.
One of the best things about a traveling LDRS is the variety of launch sites and surrounding attractions. I used to travel to Bend for business and loved it. I’m really looking forward to flying at Brothers.

Back