So I finally did it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartaChris

Reaction score
I am now officially a Level 1 certification holder with NAR.

I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. I burnt the first two igniters and then the RSO along with other fliers and ROC members agreed to cancel the launch at 12:30 pm due to some pretty abrasive weather coming in.

Getting closer to flight cutoff and after 3 attempts, my PML Bullpup finally made her flight on an H-148 REDLINE and permitted me to surrender my credit card to the rocket gods and join the ranks of fellow high power rocketeers.

Thanks to Cliff's wife Maddi for the pic!

-Chris

My buddy Dan also got his Cert flying his BSD Thor on an H-125 (I think.) His was one of the last flights of the day, getting dangerously close to not being able to fly due to the weather cut off! But luckily he was able to get off the ground for a spectacular flight! Here is a pic.

-Chris

Congratulations, Chris!

welcome to high power, now open your wallet! :)

by the way, nice job on your Bullpup.

(what Chris says about the weather is true - we all saw thunderstorms and wind; hail and flash floods were reported by the weather radio. this in the desert, in August. turns out none of that reached the launch site on the dry lake bed, but there were at least two tornados nearby! egads! so much for global warming!)

We had rain for about 30 minutes on the way out of there. My friend took a different route home and said he saw flash flooding and hail. I didn't know about the tornados though, so I'm glad we took off when we did. Things could have gotten quite nasty!

-Chris

Welcome to lvl1!!! Wallets are empty beyond this point...:D

Way to go, guys! Stop by and introduce yourselves at ROCStock... I'm the guy with the 4" Arcas and grey-ish Tundra with a camper shell. I can't wait for ROCStock!

We drove right through the flash flooding in town... here's some pictures of the mayhem... https://tinyurl.com/6du2l

It's not supposed to rain in the desert :p

What a mess!

Originally posted by Elapid
got any plans for your L2 bird?

I'm not sure yet. I really like a couple of the Polecat kits, namely the Nike Smoke and the Phoenix. But I also love my friend's BSD Thor. I am considering a 4" version as opposed to the 3" one. Then there are PML kits which are always fun, so I am not sure yet. I am going to play with this one for a while though while I shop around.

-Chris

Originally posted by daveyfire
Way to go, guys! Stop by and introduce yourselves at ROCStock... I'm the guy with the 4" Arcas and grey-ish Tundra with a camper shell. I can't wait for ROCStock!

We drove right through the flash flooding in town... here's some pictures of the mayhem... https://tinyurl.com/6du2l

It's not supposed to rain in the desert :p

What a mess!

OMG that is some serious flooding! Funny thing is that I usually take Bear Valley to the 15 but that day I decided to simply stay on I-18 and see if it was a bit quicker. I think we made the right decision that day! Glad you got out ok.

-Chris

Originally posted by SpartaChris
My buddy Dan also got his Cert flying his BSD Thor on an H-125 (I think.) His was one of the last flights of the day, getting dangerously close to not being able to fly due to the weather cut off! But luckily he was able to get off the ground for a spectacular flight! Here is a pic.

-Chris

Hi, I'm 'Buddy Dan', you guys can just call me Dan though, a bit easier. =)

A bit of info on my thor, it's the 3" version from BSD. Pretty much stock, and currently w/o Electronics. I sent her up for her madien flight/my cert flight (Yea, a bit ballsy. =) ) on an AeroTech H123 (White Lightening) with a Medium Delay. She went up Pretty, Came Down Pretty, Got Dragged across the lake bed floor pretty Ugly. All and All, I was very happy with the flight, even more so when Greg Lawson signed off on my Lvl 1 (After a bit of ribbing about the scratches though. =) ).

What's Next? Going to mess around with this Kit. It's Dual Deploy Ready, just need to get some electronics added (Open for Suggestions, can post in another thread my hopes.), and buff out the scratches. Concidering for my level 2 just your standard Apogee Deployment via Electronics (K.I.S.S.), though I'm not sure on motor yet.

As for wallet... there's already an echo after the last club launch. I stocked up just in time for the clouds and W to roll in. =/ But on the bright side, I'm ready to go for the next launch! =)

I want to thank Greg Lawson for him taking time out of his schedule that day to play witness for my cert flight, as well as give me some helpful tips to keep in mind as I progress through HPR. Also want to thank my fellow HPR/Flyers in XPD8 and PVRT (Pomona Valley Rocket Team) for their ideas, tips and help thus far.

Latest posts

Back