Snowmobilers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
OK real quick,
We own 12 acres of land and 800 feet out back boarder one of the main snowmobile corridors. #5
its the old railroad bed. From end to end it is 4 miles of almost straight away trail. Its a real slow arch around the mountain(hill) behind me. All of it in the woods. REAL pretty.
Anywhoo-subject here..this is the first year we have owned a snowmobile!!!!!!
I finally caved and bought a 2003 Grand Touring 550 fc ski doo.
Works for the type of snowmobiling we have here in N.H.
The fact that I can move the back rest up and the way it supports my lower back is THE BEST!!!

Super deal thru a friend at work.
We HAD snow last week and the wife and I ended up putting on 121 miles just playing around and running and getting to know the trails around me place.

Pic is of me son and his girl out back of me place.

So, what do you have!
Pics!!!!!!!!!!

DSCN3746.jpg

Last edited:
Living in CA in an area with no snow, I've never had the chance to even try it, but it looks like a blast. Congratulations!

Man, I miss cross-country skiing. But not enough to go someplace where there is snow...

When I was in my 30's (in the early to late 90s) I dated a girl who grew up in North Bay and her parents owned a Yamaha dealership up there. We used to do the 4 hour drive to North Bay every weekend and snowmobile hundreds of kilometers each and every weekend all winter.

I was spoiled, never had to put out the money for a sled but I drove every thing from the the top of the line 2 UPs with all the gadgets to some of the fastest highest performance Yamaha sleds of the day.

I did own all of the gear though and still have the boots. One thing I would say to anyone getting into it is get really good gear if you plan on spending anytime on one.

I can tell by the looks on your faces( more so your wife) that you're thoroughly enjoying yourselves. Have safe fun, my brother's best friend got killed on one.

Can't wait for more snow here in NY as well. We have a stable of three between my dad and I, and we always take the kids out for a hot chocolate. Most of my riding is at night very late usually solo quiet rides just to get out. Sometimes I bring a tent and bag and camp out, even if its a work night haha. Also run the big Tucker SnowCat for the local club, enjoy that just as much. Out in the snowy nights 3mph pulling the drags through the woods......fun..

Snow is coming!

Ohh mannn am I jealous...
I haven't been on a snowmobile in YEARS...
You guy's just enjoy and have the time of your lives...
Don't forget to stop every now and again and check out the peace and quiet too...
Good for you guy's...

Teddy

The first and last time I was on one, was back in the early 80's growing up in northeastern Indiana. The neighbor's across the street took me and my brother as passengers one evening, I was still pre-teen then so I didn't get to drive it, but we had fun anyway. I was stationed in North Dakota for a few winters in the Air Force, but I didn't care to spend anymore time outside than I had to living there. Now I don't live in a place that gets snow... Thank God! But I will admit that I do miss those peaceful nights when the big fluffy flakes are falling and the only sounds are the snow falling and snowmobiles off in the distance.

That's cool! I really miss my Indy 600 XC. We also ran mostly overnight - at speed is much safer to see headlights coming. Enjoy the snow!

My father bought two new Yamaha Enticers back in 1977. A 340 and, 250cc model. That was right about the time Yamaha introduced the Yamalube system...NO more mixing your oil and, gas, just put your oil in the storage tank and, it did it for you! Wooooo...:eek: Technology is a NEAT thing! :D

I put so much seat time on that 250, I swear I wore the track off of it. A lot of great memories trail riding all over central Wisconsin. I miss those days-

I sometimes wonder where they are now but, knowing Wisconsin. I can almost guarantee that somewhere they are still in use.

The Sleds of today are like Jet Fighters compared to the Biplanes I rode...The sport has come along ways and, I miss (with what little snow we get here in western Indiana) it very much to justify buying a good used or new one.

Enjoy the Sled Scotty! :smile:

Back in the day when I was growing in the 70s and 80s up my Parents had snowmobiles. Dad always wanted Polaris brand so we had the TX line the Charger, Mustang and colts. Lets see who remembers the very first sled my Dad purchased its brand name was Trade Winds. It was a 1 lunger with a built in kick stand so all you had to do was drive in the garage put down the kick stand and the track was up off the floor. Was a very nice thing to have. We would jump off the school bus and get warm clothes on and ride until dark. Not sure how we are a still alive today.

When I was in the sixth grade (66-67) we were able to rent Snow machines. My dad rented a Sno-Jet. It cost $12 per day I think. I ended up rolling it and breaking the windshield off. It was fun!

Steve Shannon

Harley! Oh yeah I forgot......

Sno Jet
Moto Ski
Boa Ski
Ski Daddler
Scorpion
Yamaha
Kawasaki
Polaris
Ski Doo
Arctic Cat
Bolens
Theres gotta be a list online somewhere.........

OK I looked - check this out! More than I even expected, holy cow........
https://kawasakitrax.com/kawiforum/index.php?topic=1012.0
I have a 1981 Scorpion TK 340. Not running but in good shape. Cuyuna motor. I also had a "Stingeret" with a 440 in it.

After looking at the list I do remember these. The Rupp was a light weight very fast slep. The Evinrude and Johnson were the 1st to have reverse that I know of

Ariens
AMF
Big Boss
Coleman
Evinrude
Fox Trac
Invader
Johnson
Manta
Mercury
Raider
Rupp

And here we are again with NO snow.
Had the week of Christmas and that's it. Most is gone and we missed another snow last night.
Rain and 4s0-50s in the forecast. :mad:

Sure am glad I didn't get to deep in this machine I bought. ($$$ wise that is)

Last edited:
I talked to a guy from Spring Green WI who asked me if I remembered that a guy in SG made sleds for about 3-4 years called River Valley Sleds? I kind of remember it.

Back