Sneak Peek! EMRR Box-O'-Parts Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got Sixth...... Wooooo hooooooo!
:D

Who would have thunk it?

Now I just hope they let me fly that beast at a CMASS launch! It's too cool to just sit in the shop.

Very GOOD Contest. It was fun. I would do it again. I would even be a judge possibly.

The box of parts concept forces creativity, not a bunch of 3FNC's. Now I 'm wondering what other designs from the contest I might try?

Heaps of praise go to Todd and Nick for pulling this off!!! Thanks also go to all the judges - I especially appreciate that they scored all the entries and submitted the results so quickly. And of course a BIG THANK YOU for the sponsors that donated so many prizes.

Oddly enough my "Cobra 11" got 11th place. :D (The fact that I'm getting a prize anyway speaks more about the generosity of the sponsors than about my craftsmanship.) There are enough parts left over for me to work on some alternative designs. And hopefully other folks put to good use the spare parts I contributed. (Who got my Top Flight chute wrapped as a Cracker Jack "surprise" in their Box-o-Parts? )

I had a lot of fun and learned some things along the way. Let's hope this contest will be repeated next year!

Made it through several prize selections... However we have hit a slight lull... It will probably pick up again soon here! Be patient! The prize list will be rolling again soon!

I had a lot of fun and learned some things along the way. Let's hope this contest will be repeated next year!

Tom - This would make a good Featured Tip... then you could do a little catch-up and be well on your way toward the 2008 EMRR Challenge. That is a contest with a huge prize and plenty of learning opportunities!

Don't worry about coming in late sense there are some missed points but you could still reach GOLD.

Nick

:surprised: I came in 10th! :D Now I can say I have a Top 10 finish?!:lol:

Thanks to Todd and Nick for this great contest and for all the judges to take the time and effort to weigh in on their opinions(even tho I think Chan cheated..snicker, naw, congrats Chan!)..

Will impatiently await my turn at choosing from whats left of the goodies pool!:D

...even tho I think Chan cheated..snicker, naw, congrats Chan!...

If it's one thing that I've learned about Chan having played against him in previous EMRR VRCs, it's that he usually does something unexpected! I NEVER expected anyone to try and max out the bonus points. It never occurred to me that someone would put a parasite glider on a 9 motor cluster heli-roc... And really, the only thing that kept Ray King from getting a similar bonus was that his Bad to the Bone rocket used a pre-engineered heli system and a styrofoam glider!

Next time there will be a revision on the bonus point rules....

If it's one thing that I've learned about Chan having played against him in previous EMRR VRCs, it's that he usually does something unexpected! I NEVER expected anyone to try and max out the bonus points. It never occurred to me that someone would put a parasite glider on a 9 motor cluster heli-roc... And really, the only thing that kept Ray King from getting a similar bonus was that his Bad to the Bone rocket used a pre-engineered heli system and a styrofoam glider!

Next time there will be a revision on the bonus point rules....

Revise them all you want--I'll find the best strategy for maxing out whatever point scheme you come up with :p. I'm really not wacky, just build to whatever the rules encourage. Just a simple "or" inserted in the bonus points rule that would award for glider OR copter OR cluster etc. and I'd have been the most boring model in the bunch...

This was probably the most fun I've had in an EMRR contest, and I think we all owe the judges and Todd heapin helpin's of thanks for what had to be a pretty major effort to handle the logistics of this mess.

I think I should have gotten bonus points for scale!:D Alas, not part of the contest rules in the beginning.:)

Seriously, I think the judges did a great job and were very fair awarding points where needed. My write up was weak and could have been better, and no extra special flight or recovery points....but I got high marks in other areas, so I'm happy. Those who got better marks than myself were well deserving and I think I would have judged much the same way.

Good game guys! Had a lot of fun. ;)

I think I should have gotten bonus points for scale!:D Alas, not part of the contest rules in the beginning.:)

I didn't notice right off, but if you incorporated some design software use in your write-up, then this entry's "bonus" could be that it would count toward the #5 Challenge for scale.

Regards,
Nick

I didn't notice right off, but if you incorporated some design software use in your write-up, then this entry's "bonus" could be that it would count toward the #5 Challenge for scale.

Regards,
Nick

Good thing I chose SpaceCAD as my prize then. :D

Okay... The prize selections have been forwarded to EMRR. I will go back thru the thread and check for any suggestions that might be useful for the future and try to post some sort of wrap up.

You all must have had a good time with it... It looks like we are up to the 4th most replied thread (if we squeak out 50 more posts, we can beat the '06 SS thread for #3...) and the 26th most viewed thread...

Okay... The prize selections have been forwarded to EMRR. I will go back thru the thread and check for any suggestions that might be useful for the future and try to post some sort of wrap up.

You all must have had a good time with it... It looks like we are up to the 4th most replied thread (if we squeak out 50 more posts, we can beat the '06 SS thread for #3...) and the 26th most viewed thread...

Todd - Thanks. James Gartrell is at NARAM, so upon his return he will coordinate the sending out of the prizes.

BTW - anyone know how to get in touch with Jeff Lane?

Nick

You all must have had a good time with it...

Good time - no

GREAT TIME = YESSS!!!!:D

Again, thanks to all the efforts by Todd, Nick, and all the judges.

I would never have expected to do as well as I did (3rd?!?!). Looks like my Jinx finally had some good luck.

I'm working with a 4H group and we will be flying in the next week or so. I plan to launch my rocket for them (although now that the contest is over - I will use bigger parachutes than what came in my box);)

How long is it going to take before I find out who I send my prize contribution to???

How long is it going to take before I find out who I send my prize contribution to???

I just got forwarded an email from James Gartrell about my prize this evening. I picked well over a week ago. I know there was some delay with James being at NARAM and all, and could be even more delay if someone has not replied back with their prize selection. Your contribution was still available when I made my selection...tempting, very tempting.

Got my box from Red Arrow in the mail yesterday. Excellent prize pack! Thank you very much!

Got my box/prize while I was out of town this weekend!:D An Art Applewhite 29mm Scimitar! :D :D Can't wait to put it together and fly it! Will probably launch it next Tuesday(hopefully)...If not will go up over Labor Day wekend in Orangeburg!

Thanks!

Mine came today! Woohoo! Now I have seven more rockets to add to the build pile and my build pile is so large that just last week I moved it from two cardboard boxes (that cases of office paper came in) to a large Rubbermaid tub.

With today's addition my wife said I shouldn't have to buy any rockets for a while. I agreed but said, "unless I see something really cool." I didn't tell her that around here that happens just about every day...;)

I received my Spaceship Handbook book, autographed by Jack!

I received it a several days ago - I should have responded sooner, but I've been too busy going through it.

Lots of great data and pix. I highly recommend this book to any rocket enthusiast.

Thanks again to EMRR for running this contest and a BIG thank you to everyone who contributed prizes (so I could get this great book). :congrats:

Never got any word if my prize arrived safely... I assume it did as it was sent a couple of weeks ago.

Back