Sneak Peek! EMRR Box-O'-Parts Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe... What? You have a life or something?

You are volunteers... Your participation is greatly appreciated. We were just shooting for Friday. As soon as you can get them to me works... Besides, it helps build suspense, right?

Alrighty... Got scores in from David Miller of Sirius Rocketry and from Rokitflite... That puts us at 70%! Almost there! Just 3 more to go!

I gotta say there were some pretty cool designs. Hats off to everyone. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

looking forward to the results.
i'm a bit annoyed with two of the UK guys, they had their rockets built but did not submit them:mad: really annoyed as i sponsered their parts, gave them the motors to fly on and even sent EMRR money to cover the cost of the postage to the UK.

Two more in... Only one to go!

The Excel spreadsheet is working overtime! There are a couple of clusters of averaged scores that are within 0.1 or 0.2 points of each other! It really is going to come down to a photo finish! Even the top 5 entries are within 3.3 points of each other!

Almost without exception the judges have commented that they were pleasantly surprised about the quality of the entries!

i'm a bit annoyed with two of the UK guys, they had their rockets built but did not submit them:mad: really annoyed as i sponsered their parts, gave them the motors to fly on and even sent EMRR money to cover the cost of the postage to the UK.

It is a contest and it's life. Ask them to donate the remaining parts to kids and to submit their rockets when they have time as just simple scratch built rockets for EMRR.

Don't be too burned up about it.

We should do it "deposit style" next time... $20 to enter, refunded when you submit a qualifying entry.:D

Almost without exception the judges have commented that they were pleasantly surprised about the quality of the entries!

Yes, I thought the contest produced some outstanding models. Everyone was very creative and many of the models looked like they should go into production. Great job, folks! And to you too, Todd, for coming up with the contest and making it all happen. Whatever our efforts were judging, yours were ten times that at least!

Kudos to all!
James

Unofficial TOP 5 Results (by Judge):

EMRR (average of all = 78; range = 44):
95 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
95 - U.S.S. Fred G. Sanford - David Mackiernan
93 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
93 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
91 - Procrastinator - Matt Gillard

Stafford (average of all = 68; range = 73):
101 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
91 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
88 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose
87 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
85 - Bio-hazard - Jon Chrisman

Alligood (average of all = 79; range = 69):
114 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
97 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke
96 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
94 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
91 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei

Gartrell (average of all = 92; range = 32):
105 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
101 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
101 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
101 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
98 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke

Miller (average of all = 63; range = 31):
79 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
73 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
71 - Procrastinator - Matt Gillard
70 - Feersum Endjinn - Kevin Johnson
69 - Bio-hazard - Jon Chrisman

Branche (average of all = 83; range = 40):
98 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
98 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
94 - Procrastinator - Matt Gillard
94 - Feersum Endjinn - Kevin Johnson
93 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin

Pemberton (average of all = 81; range = 47):
100 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose
99 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
97 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
96 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
93 - Bad to the Bones - Ray King

Cox (average of all = 86; range = 41):
101.4 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
98.8 - U.S.S. Fred G. Sanford - David Mackiernan
97 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
97 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
96.5 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose

Mullin (average of all = 89; range = 31):
104 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
101 - U.S.S. Fred G. Sanford - David Mackiernan
101 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke
99 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
98 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei

Great Job Judges :). Looks like I did pretty well :). Can't wait to see the official results :)

Were the extra bonus points added now or will be added later?

Wasn't Jim Flis a Judge to?

Unofficial Top 5 Results (by Category):

Styling/Parts Use (max = 25; average = 19; range = 10):
23 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
21 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose
22 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
23 - Bad to the Bones - Ray King
20 - Salvage 1 - Dan Bihary

Craftsmanship (max = 10; average = 8; range = 4):
10 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
10 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose
9 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
9 - Bad to the Bones - Ray King
9 - Salvage 1 - Dan Bihary
9 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
9 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke

Paint/Decals (max = 15; average = 11; range = 7):
15 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
14 - Bad to the Bones - Ray King
14 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke
14 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
14 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose

Flight (w/o Bonus) (max = 20; average = 16; range = 11):
20 - Bio-hazard - Jon Chrisman
19 - Feersum Endjinn - Kevin Johnson
19 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
19 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
19 - Bad to the Bones - Ray King

Writing (max = 20; average = 15; range = 10):
20 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
19 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
18 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
17 - Outlandish - Brad Shea
17 - Shoe Box Lander - Heather Meyers
17 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke
17 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
17 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose

Photos (max = 10; average = 7; range = 4):
9 - SpaceShip Two - Craig Zicafoose
9 - Remote Guardian Probe Jinx 1.2 - Les Bradshaw
9 - Bio-hazard - Jon Chrisman
8 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
8 - Outlandish - Brad Shea
8 - Black Death - John Partridge
8 - Shoe Box Lander - Heather Meyers
8 - Procrastinator - Matt Gillard
8 - U.S.S. Fred G. Sanford - David Mackiernan
8 - The Avenger - Doug Gardei
8 - Longsword Starfighter - Todd Mullin
8 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
8 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
8 - Xebec Kaku - Brian Coyle

Unofficial Top 5 Flight Bonuses:

18 - Swiss Army Rocket - Chan Stevens
10 - U.S.S. Fred G. Sanford - David Mackiernan
5 - Cobra 11 - Tom Benson
4 - Procrastinator - Matt Gillard
3 - Feersum Endjinn - Kevin Johnson
3 - Junkyard Transport - Jim Meyers
3 - Salvage 1 - Dan Bihary
3 - Salvage 90 - Bill Cooke

When will this be official?

Tomorrow AM!

Then prize selection can begin, although due to NARAM, our PR Director James Gartrell may need until August 4th to start getting the communications out. I will step in and run the selection process until I have to leave next week.

Regards,
Nick

Great Job Judges :). Looks like I did pretty well :). Can't wait to see the official results :)

Were the extra bonus points added now or will be added later?

Wasn't Jim Flis a Judge to?

Yep, I was a judge too... I had to bow out (I am SO sorry) at the last minute as my schedule simply would not allow me to give this the proper attention it deserves. There was a LOT of effort put in by the judges to get these results, believe me!

My local club (ROCC) had a pleasant impromptu launch on Saturday. The tropical storm shifted our normal wind patterns and made it possible to fly in a field half full of 10' high corn!

Outland'ish flew again! This time since I was no longer bound by the contest I replaced the shock cord with Kevlar and used a zip tie on the motor hook. I stuffed two additional sheets of wading in on the top of the motor (D12-3), then from the top I stuffed the Kevlar cord in. Then three more sheets of Estes wading and the parachute and remaining cord.

Since it was a small launch group (5-10 people attending) and I was running the board at the time I was able to stop and watch the entire flight better than my initial flight. This time I could observe that it was spinning exactly as I had planned - a nice spin - not too rapid to see clearly but not too slow either. It revolved at a nice steady pace - slower than a ceiling fan on low but not much slower. The ejection appeared to be almost at apogee - a bit early but not much. Estimated height from those attending was about 400'. The doughnut hole parachute opened perfectly and the rocket was recovered seemingly without harm. However AGAIN the shock cord was frayed and nearly cut or burned through.

I have decided that the rocket gods want a baffle in this rocket. So that's what I am going to do before the next flight. I'm planning to try to make one out of the various parts - I'll update the rocket as I see what works best.

In any case, while it appears my entry is not in the top five on any judges list - I did enjoy myself and this contest. Maybe someone will be crazy and do this again.

This was my first EMRR contest, and it was a blast! I hope it gets repeated sometime in the future. There are a lot of great rockets.:D

I would like to thank all the judges for their time and effort, the vendors that supplied parts, and an especially big thank you to Todd Mullin for all his efforts in organizing this contest. Last and not least, thanks to Nick and EMRR for having the contests!:congrats:

Oh Man! I wish I had found this months ago!

While cleaning up a bit last weekend, I came across my
2007 EMRR calendar with a great Shrox design on the front.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/eat/2007/640_00_front_cover.jpg

Comparing my BoP contents with what would be necessary to
build that- it looks like I might've had a chance to pull it off...
Maybe next time! :D Or maybe I'll deconstruct my Xebec
Kaku the rest of the way and attempt it anyway!

Thanks again to Nick & Todd for a great time! Let's do it again
soon.

Nick - we see the order of the entries - but who gets prizes? Are the one's above the green line the only prize winners? I know that at one time it said that only 3/4 of the prizes would be awarded.

This was fun and while I may be second guessing my choices now I ended up with a great rocket that never would have been built but for this. Thanks!

I even think I will build a few more from the parts and document those just for fun.

Nick - we see the order of the entries - but who gets prizes? Are the one's above the green line the only prize winners? I know that at one time it said that only 3/4 of the prizes would be awarded.

This was fun and while I may be second guessing my choices now I ended up with a great rocket that never would have been built but for this. Thanks!

I even think I will build a few more from the parts and document those just for fun.

The normal prize selection procedure for EMRR is that the winners will get an e-mail asking them to select from the remaining prizes in the order that they placed. There were enough entries that all of the prizes should be claimed.

Really, everyone is a winner though, right? We all got a huge box of parts to use! I've sorted out my box and only kept the good stuff, but even still, that's a lot of parts!

I've started sending out the prize selection e-mails... Be patient... It may take a day or two to get down the list to you!

I already know what I want :D. And being second place, I have a backup plan in case Chan Stevens picks what I wanted :D

I've started sending out the prize selection e-mails... Be patient... It may take a day or two to get down the list to you!

So what is the green line that divides the entries? I guess I misread that? I was thinking it was the "prize ceiling" :eek: - but as I said, I am thrilled to have my rocket and a box of neat stuff to make more rockets from. I don't feel bad at all either way.

So what is the green line that divides the entries? I guess I misread that? I was thinking it was the "prize ceiling" :eek: - but as I said, I am thrilled to have my rocket and a box of neat stuff to make more rockets from. I don't feel bad at all either way.

12 prizes.

Green Line represents the Top 12 (who will choose prizes).

Regards,
Nick

I can help you out with their identity... As I was rapidly running out of weird stuff to put into boxes, I broke apart the Babylon 5 Starfury kit that's been sitting on my shelf for many years. I would have loved to have built it, but I just never have gotten around to it. Make something cool with those bits... Live up to the coolness of the Starfury!

Todd - one of those is what the tip of my altimeter bay was made from on Outland'ish. I hope that qualifies as "cool".

Back