Sneak Peek! EMRR Box-O'-Parts Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_James

Reaction score
So you don't run out of things to do this year, EMRR has another fantastic contest planned to start in February. Do you have a few parts lying around but just not the right ones to get those creative juices going? Well, this upcoming contest should help. Below is a link to the preliminary page:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/contest_box-o-parts.shtml

The vendor response to this one was outstanding, too!

Enjoy!
EMRR
https://www.rocketreviews.com/
es-sence (es'uhns) the basic, real and invariable nature of a thing.

Cool Beans! That's a neat twist on the old EMRR contests! I hope I have time to enter.:cool:

Man... The only thing that bums me out about this contest is that since I'm judging, I can't play!

All of you TRF'ers are the most creative people that I've ever seen! I can't wait to see what you send in and what you make out of your boxes!

I'm bummed. It look like fun but...

1) I'm so new to this hobby that my spare parts box is still a bit thin and more importantly

2) I am up to my eyballs in work stuff and school stuff until March or April. (I'm still rushing to get some paperwork done that was supposed to be finished in October and "absolutely by the end of the year") :( I will not be building rockets for awhile. I'm still trying to find time to paint the one I built at Christmas.

Couple of questions bordering on fine print:

1) Bonus points for multiple engine, but we can't add anything? Doesn't this mean the judges basically stack the deck to a small degree by sending out single versus multi-engine assortments? Seems a little impractical if one guy gets a single and another gets (5) 18mm tubes or an 18" length of BT50 plus a BT80 body tube. I figure I'll naturally receive a pair of motor tubes for whining--a 38mm and an MMX... Glider/helicopter bonus looks sweet, but probably only applies if you get decent sheet stock (corrugated box panels make poopy wings/blades)

2) Are templates allowed in lieu of parts. Example--nose cone?

3) Centering rings are not mentioned in parts requirement, so presumably we'll all have to cut these from the box unless we get ample balsa/basswood for fins/rings.

4) Decals are mentioned in the judging criteria--are we allowed to make our own, or must they only be provided?

Any chance this could be tied in with Narcon, at least for the kickoff? I kind of like the idea of heading back to the hotel room, opening the box o parts, and having a build/bash session right there.

1) Bonus points for multiple engine, but we can't add anything? Doesn't this mean the judges basically stack the deck to a small degree by sending out single versus multi-engine assortments? Seems a little impractical if one guy gets a single and another gets (5) 18mm tubes or an 18" length of BT50 plus a BT80 body tube. I figure I'll naturally receive a pair of motor tubes for whining--a 38mm and an MMX... Glider/helicopter bonus looks sweet, but probably only applies if you get decent sheet stock (corrugated box panels make poopy wings/blades)

3) Centering rings are not mentioned in parts requirement, so presumably we'll all have to cut these from the box unless we get ample balsa/basswood for fins/rings.

4) Decals are mentioned in the judging criteria--are we allowed to make our own, or must they only be provided?

Any chance this could be tied in with Narcon, at least for the kickoff? I kind of like the idea of heading back to the hotel room, opening the box o parts, and having a build/bash session right there.

Chan....I wondered on the motor thing myself but then I realized that if you get T50 or T20 tubes you could always cut enough off for a cluster...of course that "if" is a biggie...:D I'm sure they will figure out a fair way to do it.

Excellent questions Chan... Now for what hopefully will be viewed as excellent answers...

1) My thought about the motor tubes was that if you didn't get exactly the tube you were hoping for in your box that you could always roll your own... I know that that thought is weird in this day and age where not getting laser cut everything is unheard of... 38mm and MMX motor tubes! Hehe... I gotta remember to make up a special box just for you... (98mm and MMX...)

2) By templates, do you mean can you make paper nose cones and so forth? Sure! One of the main things that I was going to make sure was in every kit that went out the door was several sheets of paper and a bit of card stock for rings, transitions, cones, paper airplanes...

3) Don't know what rings I'll have sent to me, but having a backup plan in case you don't get ones that you like is always a good idea...

4) I'm kinda torn of this one... (Especially if they are Estes decals... Get it? Because their new decals are so flimsy? Okay, bad joke, back to your answers...) I'd like to think that I'd get enough decals to send out some with every kit, but I can't guarantee that I will. Possibly we should change the heading to "creative finishing". I would say that you could print on the above mentioned paper and afix that to the rocket, but you can't add decal paper to your kit unless someone happens to send some in with their box.

I'd love to tie it in to NARCON, but that cuts the time frame kinda short. If I have all the boxes in to me by March 1, I will make an attempt to get them out in time for you to work on it in the hotel room.

Getting back to #1 briefly, and my plan on distributing the parts... Whereas it would be fun to "customize" boxes for people, I don't think that'd really be fair. I plan on distributing the parts as evenly as possible into the correct number of piles and then randomly assigning the piles of parts to each contestant. Seems like the most reasonable way to go without the potential of showing any favoritism....

Couple of questions

Send in a whole bunch of decal paper, and then everyone will get some in their box-o-parts!:)

Send in a whole bunch of decal paper, and then everyone will get some in their box-o-parts!:)

I was thinking more along the lines of scuttling the efforts of competitors by sending Saran Wrap and/or Scotch tape...

When I first heard of this, my first thought was the 3-4 sets of cast Acme conformal lugs I've picked up in attendee goodie bags over the past few years (the rare times I get into HPR I use rail buttons), thinking I finally found someplace to get rid of them. Drat, though, stuff I pack up must be roughly compatible. I've also got some bizarre nose cones that don't seem to fit any common commercial tube sizes (probably priceless relics I'd be giving away)...

This really sounds like fun, both on the pack it up end and on the "what do I do with THIS [poop]?" end. The only thing that would make it even more of a blast is if we had to do this fast/together, like on the field at NSL or something. IIRC, they did a build event at N-48 with a huge pile of stray Quest parts, where everything had to be built on the spot/that evening.

--Chan Stevens

Excellent questions Chan... Now for what hopefully will be viewed as excellent answers...

I'd love to tie it in to NARCON, but that cuts the time frame kinda short. If I have all the boxes in to me by March 1, I will make an attempt to get them out in time for you to work on it in the hotel room.

QUOTE]

According to the dates on the preview page, you'd be mailing back out no later than NARCON weekend, which is why I was thinking of the tie in (plus the postage you'd save).

We did it out here in San Diego for the NSL... But it was a little different. It was onsite, but everyone had the same garbage bag of stuff. Amazing how different the teams rockets came out. It was a three hour build and then it was spot landing while egg lofting on a H motor...

According to the dates on the preview page, you'd be mailing back out no later than NARCON weekend, which is why I was thinking of the tie in (plus the postage you'd save).

Yeah, but then think of all the extra airfare that I'd have to pay!:D I appreciate the thought though... Now if I could get my boss to give me the time off...

Chan....I wondered on the motor thing myself but then I realized that if you get T50 or T20 tubes you could always cut enough off for a cluster...of course that "if" is a biggie...:D I'm sure they will figure out a fair way to do it.

I sent probably 25 18mm tubes, launch lugs, engine thrust rings, etc from an old EAT Kitting project.

I'm bummed. It look like fun but...

1) I'm so new to this hobby that my spare parts box is still a bit thin and more importantly

Perhaps someone would sponsor you by sending in parts and you participate?

1) My thought about the motor tubes was that if you didn't get exactly the tube you were hoping for in your box that you could always roll your own... I know that that thought is weird in this day and age where not getting laser cut everything is unheard of... 38mm and MMX motor tubes! Hehe... I gotta remember to make up a special box just for you... (98mm and MMX...)

2) By templates, do you mean can you make paper nose cones and so forth? Sure! One of the main things that I was going to make sure was in every kit that went out the door was several sheets of paper and a bit of card stock for rings, transitions, cones, paper airplanes...

3) Don't know what rings I'll have sent to me, but having a backup plan in case you don't get ones that you like is always a good idea...

4) I'm kinda torn of this one... (Especially if they are Estes decals... Get it? Because their new decals are so flimsy? Okay, bad joke, back to your answers...) I'd like to think that I'd get enough decals to send out some with every kit, but I can't guarantee that I will. Possibly we should change the heading to "creative finishing". I would say that you could print on the above mentioned paper and afix that to the rocket, but you can't add decal paper to your kit unless someone happens to send some in with their box.

Getting back to #1 briefly, and my plan on distributing the parts... Whereas it would be fun to "customize" boxes for people, I don't think that'd really be fair. I plan on distributing the parts as evenly as possible into the correct number of piles and then randomly assigning the piles of parts to each contestant. Seems like the most reasonable way to go without the potential of showing any favoritism....

Please let me know what / if any you want me to put on the site.

I just now noticed the dates that the events are to happen. I was thinking that a February contest had to be done in February and there was no way that was going to happen. If the deadline is in June though I have a chance of getting things done.

Now, to scrounge the rocket lab to see if I can come up with a box-o-parts...

(the mad scientist laughs evilly as he descends into his dungeon laboratoratory...)

I just got my first online sign up! Be sure to stop in at EMRR and sign-up so that I know how many boxes of goodies to expect!

I can't wait! This looks like a ton of fun!

When I first heard of this, my first thought was the 3-4 sets of cast Acme conformal lugs I've picked up in attendee goodie bags over the past few years (the rare times I get into HPR I use rail buttons), thinking I finally found someplace to get rid of them.

--Chan Stevens

Want to barter those for anything?

Surely you have several damaged rockets and some left over balsa. No doubt you have old plastic model parts. And for sure you have a '57 Chevy hubcap!

I just now noticed the dates that the events are to happen. I was thinking that a February contest had to be done in February and there was no way that was going to happen. If the deadline is in June though I have a chance of getting things done.

(the mad scientist laughs evilly as he descends into his dungeon laboratoratory...)

I would be happy to sponsor Peartree's entry into the contest... I would also send a couple of dozen 24mm tube sections to help with the motor mounting problem!:D

Got two more entries! C'mon Chan and Peartree... Click the link and sing up officially!

Thanks for the offer of the 24mm tubes Scott! Very generous as you have agreed to help judge as well! Now no being sneaky and including a ferret with the tubes... Can't say that they would get reboxed and sent to someone who lives in a state where they are legal to own...

I thought it was "preview", not official. Signing up officially now. Then it's off to find my box of SPEV-like odds and ends...

Thanks Scott!

I will still send a box of useful stuff, but now I won't have to worry so much about things I have very little of, like nosecones. Of course I have saved a bunch of plastic Easter eggs for that very purpose... MMmmm...

Again, I cannot thank you enough.

PS. I'm not just being cheap, Between me and my kids we've probablybuilt fewer than ten rockets so far and lost two of those. The only one that crashed has been rebuilt. Undoubtedy, some of you have crashed more rockets than we have flown. I hope to do something about that when the weather gets better...

Thanks Scott!

I will still send a box of useful stuff, but now I won't have to worry so much about things I have very little of, like nosecones. Of course I have saved a bunch of plastic Easter eggs for that very purpose... MMmmm...

So don't forget to "sign up" on the page.

Great competition. -i'm in.

Can a club send in a whole stash of stuff and then get x number of individual boxes back?

I think I can scrounge up a few parts. Need to read up again and see what all of this entails.

OK,
Someone PM me with the address that I am to send parts to... Since I am not entering the contest I don't want to go through the stuff on the EMRR site.:D

Latest posts

Back