Snarky woes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcook7135

Reaction score
Maybe it is supposed to fly like this, but Rocksim says not... My Snarky weighs in at 336g (heavy according to the packaging). On the first flight, I used a D12-5. It arced over and flew like a drone that it looks like... So, second flight was E12-4. Same thing except higher. CG is at 16.5"; CP at 21.8". In theory, it should not lean over so much...right? So, I thought not enough power with black powder engines... So, I put a E30-7T. Same thing... just flew farther away.

So, maybe this is just how it is supposed to fly.

Anyone else have experience with Snarky? Do I need more nose weight?

Mine flies great but I have a ton of nose weight in it. I’d need to pull it out and verify but my notes say the CG is at the 14.75 mark with an E20 in the tail.

Lots of fin area = weathercocking... and this rocket has a lot of fin area.

You said the rocket was heavy, did you add nose weight to move the cg such that it matches the manufacturer's recommendations?

1669401812194.png

I saw no recommendations for CG. However I performed dynamic swing test with .85 oz added to nose to get stable.

Built mine stock, it does tend to weather cock, but is quite stable. I use short delays (C11-3, D12-3, E12-4), only fly on calm days, use a 5’ rod, and aim straight up.

Maybe it is supposed to fly like this, but Rocksim says not... My Snarky weighs in at 336g (heavy according to the packaging). On the first flight, I used a D12-5. It arced over and flew like a drone that it looks like... So, second flight was E12-4. Same thing except higher. CG is at 16.5"; CP at 21.8". In theory, it should not lean over so much...right? So, I thought not enough power with black powder engines... So, I put a E30-7T. Same thing... just flew farther away.

Mine did the same thing. Lots of times it would it the ground and then the ejection charge went off. Last time it flew it went up about 100ft. then horizontal deployed the chute and landed in the tall weeds. Found it with a drone a week later.

Any video of any of the flights?

Back