Snarky Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the kit comes with that alignment jog for the wings. I think when I build mine I might decide to sand the correct angle in on the root edges so the surfaces make better contact. It just seem odd to have to take a squared edge and glue it at an angle and deal with gaps

I know the kit comes with that alignment jog for the wings. I think when I build mine I might decide to sand the correct angle in on the root edges so the surfaces make better contact. It just seem odd to have to take a squared edge and glue it at an angle and deal with gaps

Not a bad idea but the leading edge extensions get pretty thin. Since I am at a slight stand still for a few days, I may explore the possibility of adding a beveled filler strip.

Not a bad idea but the leading edge extensions get pretty thin. Since I am at a slight stand still for a few days, I may explore the possibility of adding a beveled filler strip.

I also found the bt also very thin, so after it was glued in place, I just added glue fillets to both sides of each edge...for the inside edges I just added glue and allowed it to run down the seam as I tilted the rocket and it filled it in nicely. Then I just added some glue to the outside edges and smoothed with a finger. The inside glue fillets added a lot of strength. You may be able to see it in the pic of the button retrofit.

I mocked everything up in the jigs and the wings are just rotated on the tube so that they still have a butt joint. They are also down at the top edge of the scoop so there will be an opportunity to make a substantial fillet if one so desires.

I came home to an envelope from Randy and got my buttons placed. I see what folks are saying about being draggy in the rail. I may have to find some 2-56 brass screws and see how they ride. This weekend's goal will be to do some filling and masking on the main body tube s that I can get the area inside the scoop painted while still having a gluing surface exposed. The big challenge will be the scoop its self, I have visions of the cut edges tearing away as I remove the masks.

EGAD!!! I am talking about laying down paint and I haven't decided on the color yet. I'll have to see what they have on the shelf this weekend that strikes my fancy.

I got the inside of the scoop masked and primed and proceeded to glue the scoop to the body tube. I had thought that once I got one side of the scoop glued, that it would all line up. I had sanded the scoop to get it even and thought that all was fine, until I went to start the opposite side. It is all going to be even and centered but the scoop is going to bow enough to prevent using the kit alignment guides. Looks like I'll be coming up with a jig to make it all work.

Looking at that image of the decals made me think of Picasso on acid, and would piss off General Chennault something fierce.

snarky crop.png

I need to get back to this thing! It is ready for primer but Christmas and Pinewood Derby got in the way. Along the way, my boy built a Phoenix Bird and is about done with a Photon Probe and I got in neck deep playing with a 2 stage Baby Bertha idea which resulted in me turning a boattail for the first time.

I was looking for a build thread on these snarky. Thanks.

I'm glad it helped! This thing has been awaiting finishing touches for two years now.

Back