SMT Designs Electronic Bay Products Introduction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveThatcher

SMT Designs
Reaction score
smtdesigns.gif

Hello, my Name is Steve Thatcher and I am introducing a series of 3d printed parts for electronic bay designs. I live in the Seattle area and I am an electronics engineer by trade and a rocketeer since 1991.

At this time, my products are more focused on mid and high power rocketry (I would certainly look at model rocket parts that you need, if you have an idea for your next project).

If I still have your attention, then read on. You won't find any rocket kits, motors, altimeters, and general rocket parts, as there are plenty of companies around that make those. You also won't find products that force you to adapt to the company's methods in order to use them in your designs.

What you will find is a group of innovative products designed in a way for you to be able to create re-usable and re-configurable bays for deployment, tracking and any other device that you want to fly in a rocket. I will also do custom work and customization of what I already have available. There is no design fee and the product price will be the same as any comparable product on my site.

Take a look, ask questions and let me know what I can do to help.

418@2x.jpg

This photo is some of the parts I have
There is more online at www.smtdesigns.com/store/rocketry

Best regards

I just bought one, received it, and will post a review in the next two weeks. So far, it is fantastic.

I just bought one, received it, and will post a review in the next two weeks. So far, it is fantastic.

Bought one what?o_O I went to the site, some neat stuff but I'm not quite sure what all I am looking at. Lol. That's not meant to be negative in any way. Just don't know what some of the parts are. I'm going to take a close look.

Funny you should post this today - I was just looking for parts to put together 38mm and 54mm min-diameter av-bays!
PM sent with additional Qs.

Thanks,
a

I just looked at the 54 mm end plate switch kit. It says it can be set up to either open or close the slide switch when the screw is turned. That makes it sound as if a person must choose.
If a person sets it up to close the switch by turning the screw at the pad, how does a person open the switch to switch the electronics off if necessary?

I just looked at the 54 mm end plate switch kit. It says it can be set up to either open or close the slide switch when the screw is turned. That makes it sound as if a person must choose.
If a person sets it up to close the switch by turning the screw at the pad, how does a person open the switch to switch the electronics off if necessary?
I will let you know when I caomplete the build.

of note, the switch is a momentary slide switch. It literally has a spring return. When you remove the arming screw, the slide switch moves to its rest position. The choice is basically whether you want to arm it by removing or adding the arming screw. Personally, I prefer positive retention for arming, so I tighten down the arming screw to actuate the electronics.

best regards, Steve Thatcher

of note, the switch is a momentary slide switch. It literally has a spring return. When you remove the arming screw, the slide switch moves to its rest position. The choice is basically whether you want to arm it by removing or adding the arming screw. Personally, I prefer positive retention for arming, so I tighten down the arming screw to actuate the electronics.

best regards, Steve Thatcher

Thanks! That sounds perfect and well thought out. I was concerned about the ability to turn off electronics in case the rocket needed to be removed from the pad. I’m very impressed by your products and prices.

You are very welcome and thank you for the compliments.

I really appreciate any comments because when I read your first posting, I looked at the product description and realized I have not mentioned that detail. All my switch products now have that information... :)

Back