SMT Designs 38mm Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Over the Labor Day Weekend, Steve Thatcher of SMT Designs was one of the vendors at SodBlaster 2018, while he was there I was looking at his products and the 38mm bay kit caught my eye as I have a 38mm MD project in the works. So for the price of $22.95 I picked up a 38mm Compact Bay Kit (knowing I was going to need the longer sled), Steve and I talked about the product and I asked him to make a long sled for the MissleWorks RRC3 (which he already had, just no stock on hand iirc), and a new sled for the Eggtimer Quantum in a long variety, my coupler is 8" long so the compact sled is too short, but all other components are the same. Regrettably I did not take pictures of the bay components in their bags but its lots of screws, washers, eyelets for wiring, 3D printed parts. Each part is bagged with its fasteners and components.

Here is the fully assembled Rabid Weasel MD (Blue Tube clone of the Loc Precision Weasel)
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 1.jpg

The upper airframe is secured to the altimeter bay by 3 button head 6-32 x .5" machine screws (shorter woud be better but .5" long is all I had on hand), two of the button heads are visible in the picture, the third screw (phillips head) is actually the arming screw. Steve's design uses a slide switch that is activated by the screw being inserted and tightened, the design works very well IMO as the switch cannot move once secured by the screw. Steve includes a 3" long 6-32 screw that can be cut to proper length for your bay application, in my case the screw needed to by 13/16" long, which allows me to snug the screw just as the switch bottoms out. Static ports are visible in center of coupler. As for drilling all these precisely located holes its easy, I also picked up a coupler drilling guide a airframe drilling guide, it was super easy and the holes lined up nearly perfectly the first time ( due to the fact I drilled my holes slightly undersized it was necessary to open some of them up to get the screw into the hole).
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 2.jpg

Button heads removed and the arming screw, lower airframe has been removed as well showing the end of the bay (drogue side), the three holes in the coupler are for the screws to secure the lower bay cap, I did not have any 6-32 undercut head screws on had so I have been working around that for now, the charge well is my own design/manufacture and is made of .5" 6061 aluminum bar stock, but the mounting location is part of SMT's design. The undercut screws when they arrive will be countersunk into the coupler and then profiled to match the coupler OD as the lower bay will be secured by a single shear pin to the airframe.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 4.jpg
Bay removed from airframes, alternate view of end cap and charge well, the charge well mounting post also doubles as the ematch wire terminal point and the shorter post as the other ematch wire terminal.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 5.jpg
Yet another view of endcap.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 6.jpg

What are these two holes for you ask? Well they are to access the two screws that secure the sled to the end cap assembly so that the end cap can be removed. Steve prefers to use a larger window in his couplers than I do, so I just made two holes to access the screws. The smaller screw hole is where the undercut head 6-32 screw will eventually go (I have to open the hole up some and then profile the screw to match the couplers OD). The blue tape is friction fit of course.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 7.jpg

Window number two, what is it for? Well that so I can attach and detach the wiring for the drogue bay end cap (yellow and orange wires), there is enough room in the bay that I was able to pretty easily push the wires from the opposite end to the window and using tweezers tuck the wires into the terminal block and secure them (the wires are actually about 2" longer than necessary).
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 8.jpg

The end cap from above with the charge well, the second wiring post is just peeking out from behind the charge well at about the 1130 position, the three smaller screws are what attaches the shock cord anchor plate and terminal pass through plates to the bays mounting ring, the shock cord anchor plate is design to be easily replaceable as the BP firing will eventually damage the surface. The shock cord anchor plate and the pass through plate aslo form the groove for the o-ring seal on each bay cap.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 9.jpg

Fully assembled bay with charge wells removed.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 10.jpg

Attachments

• SMT 38 AltimeterBay 3.jpg
    SMT 38 AltimeterBay 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 139
Bay with screws removed from the end of the sled (through two windows).
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 11.jpg

Wires removed from drogue deployment side of terminal block.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 12.jpg
Sled and end cap removed from coupler.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 13.jpg
Backside of sled showing battery box and switch screw hole. The battery box fits the 300mah Turnigy NanoTech 2s Lipo almost perfectly, I know this battery has been pretty popular with a number of members here on TRF as they are inexpensive and reliable.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 15.jpg
Switch arming screw inserted in switch arming hole, hint if the screw pushes the nut out of the hole, you have the switch in backwards....
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 17.jpg
End cap without charge well, Steve does/will sell a 3D printed charge well, and is even testing a double charge well so it would be possible to do redundant DD in 38mm bay. Visible are the 3 screws for cap attachement and the two binding posts for the ematch wire, center post doubles as mounting point for charge well, and the one at 4 oclock position is the other binding post.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 18.jpg
Side view of cap showing the two binding posts and the o-ring in its groove.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 19.jpg
Bay with all parts including o-rings this time.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 20.jpg

Attachments

• SMT 38 AltimeterBay 14.jpg
    SMT 38 AltimeterBay 14.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 164
  • SMT 38 AltimeterBay 16.jpg
    SMT 38 AltimeterBay 16.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
View of drogue end cap from internal bay side, the wires are attached to the binding posts via screws that pass through the end cap.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 21.jpg

End cap for bay in sort of an exploded view.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 22.jpg

Bay mounting ring showing inserts, there are three inserts each side, and the screws are long enuogh to reach all the way through the cap so it pulls on the insert properly, nice and strong.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 23.jpg
Two additional sleds the Compact RRC2 and the long Eggtimer Quantum (with my dead Quantum), along with the Airframe drill guide (left) and the coupler drill guide (right), the drill guides have indexing notches 180 degrees apart.
SMT 38 AltimeterBay 24.jpg

For traditional altimeter bays SMT offers a modular switch kit.
SMT Bay Switch Kit.jpg

And SMT also offers several types of brackets for mounting their sleds on traditional AV-Bay sleds.
SMT Traditional Bay Adapter Brackets.jpg

I will come back later and conclude this post today.
Edit: to finish post

Overall impressions of this bay design is that its well thought out and consideration has been given to the very limited real estate available in a 38mm bay. My bay is the 8" coupler size so there is a bit more space in it (lengthwise) and I believe it would be very doable to have dual Eggtimer Quarks for redundant DD in this size bay. Unlike other bays which have all thread running from end cap to end cap this bay uses the coupler as part of the structure. I am looking forward to the chance to fly this bay most likely next spring as it will take me that long to tip to tip the fins on the rocket. For the nose cone section I will be working with Steve for a slightly modified version of the 38mm altimeter by for my ComSpec transmitter and Eggfinder Mini as an I59 in this rocket tickles our clubs waiver according to sims (9300' AGL). The complete bay with coupler, screws, battery, altimeter, charge wells and everything except charges and ematchs weighs almost exactly 7 ounces or 199 grams (iirc).
One of the really nice features of SMT Designs bays are that they are modular and many parts can/could be used standalone, hence using the shock cord anchor and mounting ring (one end cap set with the binding post holes simply filled with screw to seal) with a sled for the nosecone bay with slight modifications. SMT Designs products have taken some of the effort out of designing and building small size altimeter bays. SMT Designs also offers the bay end caps for either thick wall coupler and airframes or thin wall coupler and airframes (like Blue Tube and Thin Wall FG).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back