smoothing anti-spirals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
I recently brought home a mailing tube and upon further inspection, the spirals on it are raised instead of recessed. In other words, the final layer of wrap was put on with an overlap in the spiral. This leaves a raised lip every couple inches or so.

I've learned a lot in TRF about filling spirals, but how do you remove these raised spirals?

WW

You can cut along them and peal the bump off...but then you *really* have some filling to do! But I know of no other way to get them off. I'm glad I'm not picky, I now just leave them!

Originally posted by wwattles
I recently brought home a mailing tube and upon further inspection, the spirals on it are raised instead of recessed. In other words, the final layer of wrap was put on with an overlap in the spiral. This leaves a raised lip every couple inches or so.

I've learned a lot in TRF about filling spirals, but how do you remove these raised spirals?

WW

I got a lot of tubes like that from a hobby shap which were the mailing tubes for flexible control cables and such.

80 grit sandpaper.

Duh, I said I had no other way. Of course sanding is an option. Missed the obvious. I meant I haven't taken them off any other way. Peeling should be quicker than sanding, but may require more filling.

Spritz them lightly with water. The thin white layer will practically fall off. Then you will see the REAL spirals underneath. they are big enough to roll a marble down!:rolleyes:

it also goes to show
mailing tubes might be cheap but not necessarily worth the extra effort ,filler,and primer involved to make them as smooth as a good ole rocketry tube to start with.

It depends on what you are after. I personally like the mailing tubes for many projects, especially the 'SPRockets' discussed in another thread :)

I use them also ,ofcourse, they are fine for rockets and if you don't mind the spirals thats even better ,,
but I found, to make a baby smooth tube from one can take alot work.

I figured that if someone was going to send me something in a 48" long, 3" diameter mailing tube, I should at least have the decency to take it home with me... :D

WW

Stymye, I agree completely. If I want a great finish I buy a tube. Many of my birds don't get a good finish :)

Plus mailing tubes vary. I just used some that would have been easy to fill and finish. But they were an odd size and thick. Perfect for a testbed for 2" PVC sugar motors.

My favs are the ones from the container store - they come with full length 'couplers'.

Nah, cheap is always good!!
Every time I see the SPRockets - I think Spacely Space Sprockets & Cogswel Cogs!:p

LOL, I thought of Sport Rocketry mag (SpRocketry)

I used to call these rockets 'scrap rockets' and in fact have named some SR1, SR2 , etc.

Originally posted by rstaff3
LOL, I thought of Sport Rocketry mag (SpRocketry)

I used to call these rockets 'scrap rockets' and in fact have named some SR1, SR2 , etc.

Didn't Estes used to call them SPEVs? I think they actually had a kit called the SPEV?

Spare Parts Eradication Vehicle

I've heard of the SPEV but didn't know what it stood for. Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Actually, it might be elimination rather than eradication!
Correct!

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/est_spev.html

the Estes S.P.E.V. (aka: Spare Parts Elimination Vehicle) undoubtedly possesses one of
the more interesting background stories in model rocketry. ... Though never offered as a
catalog kit, the S.P.E.V. could be obtained for free if you ordered a predetermined amount from
Estes, but due to it's short, somewhat secretive life-span, it's possible that few BAR's had ever
heard about it before JimZ's plan site arrived.
* Plans and patterns https://www.dars.org/jimz/k-59.htm

1. Sheet of medium-grit (180?) paper
2. block of hard wood almost as long as (1), wrap (1) around block
3. apply (2) to bumpy tube in direction parallel to length of tube
4. note whether paper begins to prefer to peel off in one particular direction
5. adjust (3) so that sanding strokes are made in direction discovered in (4)
6. spray with primer sealer
7. sheet of fine-grit (300-400) paper
8. you get the idea

Back