Smokey in the bushes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
So, I was driving home last night, long drive from a fishing trip, and had a thought as I passed a speed trap.

A single cop at a speed trap will catch a speeder, the one who is obviously cookin’ down the road. The question is, what if there are two guys cruising at a high rate of speed; two in a row. Does the cop go after the first one; the one he ‘clocked’ or the 2nd one, as he’s the one who is easier to catch (behind, in the pursuing cop’s LOS). What if the line of speeders is three or more? Again, does he go after the first one in the line? Or the last in the line (and the middle guy gets away)? Is there a strategy when it comes to speed traps?

Thoughts? Comments?

All theoretical of course, none of us speed..

So, I was driving home last night, long drive from a fishing trip, and had a thought as I passed a speed trap.

A single cop at a speed trap will catch a speeder, the one who is obviously cookin’ down the road. The question is, what if there are two guys cruising at a high rate of speed; two in a row. Does the cop go after the first one; the one he ‘clocked’ or the 2nd one, as he’s the one who is easier to catch (behind, in the pursuing cop’s LOS). What if the line of speeders is three or more? Again, does he go after the first one in the line? Or the last in the line (and the middle guy gets away)? Is there a strategy when it comes to speed traps?

Thoughts? Comments?

I used to get whichever one I felt like when I was an MP all those many years ago at Ft. Belvoir and other Army posts.

I have seen cop stop everybody , pull in front of row of cars middle of road ,he then walked down the row cars , I was waved on ok to go :)

Him would be able to answer that....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Chaos

Thoughts? Comments?

[video=youtube;CgZTVkjQwto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZTVkjQwto[/video]

I have seen cop stop everybody , pull in front of row of cars middle of road ,he then walked down the row cars , I was waved on ok to go :)
I didn't see them get pulled over, but I once saw a convoy-like string of four or five cars maybe three car lengths apart going WAY over the speed limit in the fast lane on a mostly empty and remote expressway in one of the plain states, perhaps on the theory that a single cop couldn't catch them all.

Out in the boonies I have seen one cope with the radar, another waiving people over, and several others servicing the customers in a field on the side of the road.

I didn't see them get pulled over, but I once saw a convoy-like string of four or five cars maybe three car lengths apart going WAY over the speed limit in the fast lane on a mostly empty and remote expressway in one of the plain states, perhaps on the theory that a single cop couldn't catch them all.

Do you catch all the fish when you go fishing? Neither do the cops. However a common technique where I live is one radar operator/spotter and 4-5 patrol cars lined up on an exit ramp out of sight. The spotter calls out speeding cars and the patrol cars stop them down the road a ways.

A friend and I were caravanning home from a launch at the old Wayside launch site south of Amarillo. We took the very scenic route through Paducah along highway 70. It was a gorgeous day and we were all enjoying the countryside. Turns out that the school zone was always a slower speed, not just when school was in session. It was obviously a speed trap and the cop zoomed past both of us and motioned for us to both stop. We were still in town where the speed limit was pretty slow. Ruined our day.

I've also seen it on the highway where a motorcycle cop will point at passing cars and motion them over - several in a row - and then write them all a ticket. That was on a stretch of interstate that used an airplane to time speeders. For a long time I learned to slow down when I passed over the painted timing markers on the pavement. I haven't seen a speed enforcement airplane in years though.

Now I just drive a few miles over the limit or stick with the bulk of the traffic so I don't stand out. Except in South Dakota when I go up there to visit. The speed limit is 80 MPH on the highways and even then I still get passed like I'm a slow poke. Some folks just like to always push the limits.

Tony

I try to pass about 2/3 of traffic, and let the fastest 1/3 or so pass me. My hunk o' junk refuses to die, but the speedo is off a few.

I got pulled over along with another car that was driving about the same rate of speed. He got behind me, and as soon as I started to pull over, he shot ahead to the next guy and got him too. Then gave us both tickets. (That was a long time ago, BTW, and I seldom speed anymore, at least not by much...)

I try to pass about 2/3 of traffic, and let the fastest 1/3 or so pass me. My hunk o' junk refuses to die, but the speedo is off a few.
Yup, I call the faster ones me blockers. Just hang back far enough so you don't look like your tooling along with them and give yourself time to hit the binders. I've seen many get pinched in front of me. This tactic is only used when I am on the interstate. And up here in NH..there is not many cars on the interstate. So its not like we are weaving in and out of traffic.

They say you can't outrun a radio. I literally blew the hat off a Smoky writing some poor smucks a ticket (he picked it up and saluted me as I watched the rear view mirror in horror) and it was way too late to haul out the anchor so I jammed to the nearest offramp and hid in Denny's for like two hours over crappy coffee. Cheaper than an impound. You'd think I learned-naw! Doing 130 out in the desert and some clown was GAINING on me a few miles back, so I shut it down. The cops had a modified Camaro with all the light bars tucked inside. He was insanely fast! He just nodded as he cruised past at 90!

Last edited:
Here's an idea...

I might get flamed to death for this, but...

How about driving one's personal conveyance like an intelligent human adult, and do the limit? You in a hurry? Maybe you should have left earlier.

It's dangerous enough out there with the kaos factor. You're already lucky to get where you're going. Now let's add in some idjit that thinks 2 minutes of his time is worth your life.

Here's an idea...

I might get flamed to death for this, but...

How about driving one's personal conveyance like an intelligent human adult, and do the limit? You in a hurry? Maybe you should have left earlier.

It's dangerous enough out there with the kaos factor. You're already lucky to get where you're going. Now let's add in some idjit that thinks 2 minutes of his time is worth your life.
Seems we went from 70-75 down to 55 in the gas crunch. Now its headed back up to 70-75. The roads were built with a 70-75 speed limit in mind. My rig is considered SAFE up to the speed it can do. Other wise, why would these rigs be able to do the speeds they can.
Up here in NH I take VT RT 91 south,during rush hour,the roads are still allmost empty of rigs. There is never 2 lanes of traffic.
I hear your cry if one is doing this in the citys and bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited:
...a common technique where I live is one radar operator/spotter and 4-5 patrol cars lined up on an exit ramp out of sight. The spotter calls out speeding cars and the patrol cars stop them down the road a ways.

We Chicagoans have a name for that. We call it "Wisconsin."

Back