Smithsonian "rocket-science"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid I used to have a fairly decently sized "liquid fuel" rocket (maybe 12" long) that used baking soda and powdered citric acid. You mixed the citric acid powder with some water and put it in the rocket, then you put the baking soda into a little cup at the end of the nozzle holder, then you screwed the nozzle end into the base of the rocket about 1/4 turn. You turned it upside-up and put it on the launcher, and after about 15 seconds you pulled a string to release the nozzle plug. No chute, just a rubber tip... it would go at least 100' high, and bounce probably 25' when it hit the street (launched it in my front yard). I busted probably 3 or 4 of these... asphalt isn't kind to things falling out of the sky. They had a 2-stage version too.

You can make a vinegar and baking soda rocket pretty easily.
[video=youtube;zER9cHh1r68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zER9cHh1r68&index=6&list=FLYnQdJ2YNNEQhbzU0gR73Ng[/video]
Cork size matters, 22mm fits a standard coke/pepsi bottle. If the cork is too small, a few seconds in a microwave will expand it. Just do that a few seconds at a time as you don't want it to get too big for the bottle.
This is mine.
vinegar-bakingsoda_rocket1439-nofont.jpg

Back