Quantcast

smallest tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rockets

Reaction score
What are some of the smallest trackers out there??
I have heard of the "MicroBeacon" but other than that, are there any cheap, small ones?? That will fit a 29mm tube?
Thanks,

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There's this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-FM-Tr...733799?hash=item3d1de7c5e7:g:peMAAOSwGIRXa16F

But you'd have to add something to make noise like a beeper. The other issue is a decent antenna on the broadcast band can be pretty long so the range is limited with this device. You could use it
with some mild modrocs and $3.55 is affordable to play with.

The Adept beacons are more workable: http://www.adeptco.com/adeptinstruments/tracking.htm

The only problem is one needs to be a Ham Radio operator and have the equipment so that cost is an issue here.

Andrew, getting an unlicensed off-the-self Rf tracker that is economical is a tall order with small rockets. Any tracker you add is going to add weight. Now if the rocket needs extra weight for max altitude (if that's what you desire) it serves two
purposes. If the rocket is already at ideal weight, the addition of more with detract from the altitude.

You have to realize to fly fast, you want to be as light as possible. To go high, you need to have the optimal throw weight so the rocket will achieve the highest altitude. Kurt

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for a "beeper" that makes noise, or are you looking for something to find your rocket a long distance away? If you're looking at the latter, you might want to look at the Eggfinder or the new Eggfinder Mini, either one will fit in a 29mm tube; the Mini will fit in an 18mm tube. They are GPS-RF trackers, so you'll need the matching receiver, but you're looking at only $120 for the set ($5 more if you go for the Mini). You DO have to solder them together, though... we only make kits. www.EggtimerRocketry.com

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Cris, I believe Andrew is aware of that in another thread. He's a young person so I went more towards
affordable-on-a-budget suggestions as far as trackers go. Unfortunately some of the cheaper options are
on the FM broadcast band and the Ham bands. I forgot the XFM-1 that gave about a 1000' ground footprint:
http://www.jbgizmo.com/page30.htm
Getting a light, reliable Rf tracker for 29mm can be a challenge. I get the impression he's looking for a screamer
high altitude flight and there is a tradeoff between performance and added weight he'll have to make a compromise over. If he wants to "go-the-fastest" then a tracker will bog the rocket down but then he could lose it. If he wants to go high, if the rocket weight is appropriate, (spell that light enough) the added tracker weight could optimize the throw weight for the highest achievable altitude. Certainly a nice challenge for a young mind to think through.
I wish him best of luck.

Kurt

Latest posts