Smallest / lightest rocket locator beeper (fit BT-50) ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What's the latest on rocket locators? I have had some near-losses recently trying to locat my rockets in the brush.

I'm looking for a locator that beeps/chirps and is the size of a peanut (with shell) so it can fit in smaller rockets.

Nothing at all fancy needed; just an on switch. Doesn't have to trigger on ejection or anything. No LED either. Small and light is the game. Swivel clip to nosecone or whatever.

Willing to build if needed but prefer premade.

Thoughts?

Marc

I'll probably build something based on that locator page. Some of the parts referenced there are discontinued or available by web only but the spirit of the thing is dead simple. I'll noodle around a bit.

Marc

I understand the desire to find equipment that is small and light enough to be used with BT50 and BT20. I am looking for the same kind of hardware.

If you get one of those little battery-powered window/door alarms at the dollar store, it might be possible to get it to fit inside a BT50 if you strip off the bulky part of the case. Hey, it's only a buck, it could be worth a try.

I've got one or two of those around the house, but they are a bit big/heavy for my tastes. I might lighten them by removing the guts from their plastic cases, then using electrical tape wraps or the like instead. But I think I'll give a build a try. Will post results.

Marc

I made one off of the above plans, added a switch for ejection start and I used a 9v battery. Fly it in my MPR Callitso. It wasn't very loud in the field. Heard it when was about 10 feet from the rocket. Maybe I did something wrong??

Heck, since I'm starting off with a partial hearing loss, I might not hear it if I was standing on it--

If you build one of these gadgets from the plans above, is there any advantage to boosting the voltage? (Does it make the alarm any louder or just burn it out?) Are there any optional plans for designs that are a little bit bigger (and louder)?

Hey Powder

A 12 v A3 battery will make it louder. Don't know if this one warbles or just beeps. Warbling is easier to hear even if not as loud (generally anyway).

As an update to this thread I'm working on a "mark II" locator.

My Mark I version used a spent 13 mm engine case as a housing, and the 12V N sized battery fit (barely) in there. I had used a couple small screws as terminal contacts and hotmelt glue to hold the whole thing together. An external twitst of wires was the on-off switch. Problem was that after I got the thing working, I had trouble with battery contact being intermittent.

I have since bought an actual n-size battery holder from The Shack and will be rebuilding based on that. Will post pictures, part numbers etc. probably this weekend.

Marc

Back