Smallest Dual Deploy Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Person
Reaction score
For SSCIJ I got a few Loc 1 series/park flyers. One of them is the Loc Magnum and it has a payload compartment and a coupler so I thought it would be perfect to turn into a dual deploy rocket. Final length of 16" and a diameter of 1" with no external modifications other than the needed vent holes and some tiny screws so it looks pretty much stock.
IMG_20210714_165020.jpg

And here is the altimeter and battery that is housed inside. For switching it on and off I soldered two wires to the switch to allow for twist and tape.
IMG_20210706_214415.jpg

First flight was this past weekend on a C6-5 (tiniest motor I've flown in I think 6 years). Worked perfectly and reached 667ft. For the recovery gear I had a parachute come out at apogee with the motor charge (just in case) and a streamer deploy at 500ft to test that the electronics worked. It did and I will note that for the charge size I simply used the red cap that comes on the matches and filled it about 80% of the way and it seemed a bit energetic. The future for this rocket will be ex 18mm motors and might be able to break mach on a longer motor.

It would be possible to construct a dual-deploy rocket using two 18mm BP motors in a single airframe tube.
The motor tubes would run to a point just under the shoulder of the nose cone.
Motor #one would have a short delay, C6-3 and its motor tube would include a streamer-drogue.
Motor #two would have a longer delay C6-5/7 and its motor tube would have the chute, which would deploy 2 to 4 seconds after the streamer.

I was actually going to try this when for me, all things rocketry came to a halt.

First flight was this past weekend on a C6-5 (tiniest motor I've flown in I think 6 years). Worked perfectly and reached 667ft. For the recovery gear I had a parachute come out at apogee with the motor charge (just in case) and a streamer deploy at 500ft to test that the electronics worked. It did and I will note that for the charge size I simply used the red cap that comes on the matches and filled it about 80% of the way and it seemed a bit energetic. The future for this rocket will be ex 18mm motors and might be able to break mach on a longer motor.

That's pretty cool, nice work!

:cool: altimeters. Need some of these. 18 mm up to full F with 10" of propellant, 3.5 sec burn. Also have core burners with up to 60 N-s, .8 sec burn.
18mm motor 06.jpg 18mm rockets 4.jpg
I also have made 13 mm C20 and D40 motors.

Pretty cool, Trevor. I'd like to see it next time you are at MDRA.
Likely won't be back till spring. Possibly going to FAR this fall though ;)

This week got hectic but tomorrow or Sunday I will post more info and can show it all spread out. For those asking, yes this is using a Alti Duo SMT. I plan on flying this on EX 18mm motors that I have made. This is a precursor to a minimum diameter 18mm rocket based on my 18mm 10 grain casing. That motor should be a G330 or so. (For anyone wondering, I'm looking at something north of 200Gs)

:cool: altimeters. Need some of these. 18 mm up to full F with 10" of propellant, 3.5 sec burn. Also have core burners with up to 60 N-s, .8 sec burn.
View attachment 483856 View attachment 483854
I also have made 13 mm C20 and D40 motors.
I've been watching your stuff. I'm using 29mm to characterize (can't fit a pressure port on an 18mm bulkhead) and then I will make some 18mm motors.

Nice.
I have done DD in a 24mm ID BT50 using an Eggtimer Quark.
Used 0.3gram of BP for the change.
I think I used about .1-.2 grams a most.

Sorry it took so long, school has been demanding.

Anyways here is a picture of the full layout of the rocket. I'd like to swap the shock chord in the top for kevlar and use a better chute but for the proof of concept I used what I had. I can easily swap both them though and improve it. Next flight will likely be end of October and I will use a lower deployment for the chute and do the streamer at apogee. I just have to figure out a time to cast some propellant to do so.
20211007_122632[1].jpg

If you are going to far, then just stop what you are doing.
It really is that simpl . . . oh, now I get it . . . never mind.

Back